Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RS5 final version and prices

Quote Originally Posted by iconcls View Post
    You're right, it's probably good enough for the wife, maybe I'll get it for her.
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, after driving the MkII RS 4, I am a believer in Audi's NA engines.

But... I DO still prefer the TT motors all the way.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Mech

Have they improved the swirl pots to reduce the oil in the intake manifold and thus reduce the carbon build up ?

RS5 will be a monster, HDZ engine and 8500rpm?!Do you imagine what that could do?It will humiliate M3 in sound, handling and HP/L... and the other thing is that this engine will be capable to have 500HP with a sport exaust and some chip, than you can put some turbo's and it will be rocket launcher... because you'll have an TT V8 with 8500rpm, that's insane, only one car can have that and it's an McLaren MP...so than again RS5 will be huge!!!

+50 HP with chip+sport exaust ? I really don't think so.

Let's just hope the all 450HP will be here.

maybe they found some way to increase torque- with the exhaust system- perhaps a downpipe based sports exhaust system. after market systems can produce up to 20-25 lb/ft of torque (i.e. RS4). if audi can come up with a flatter torque curve, 350 of torque, and 450 hp, AND take 150 solid pounds off, then the car will be considerably faster than the RS4. for sure it will handle better than the RS4, for all its weight disbalance it was already a great handler.

if 275 series tires are available that means it has to have more torque.

not sure DSG will make an enormous difference in performance numbers, but we will see.

i predict 0-60 in 4.5 secs, 1/4 mile in 12.8 @110 mph.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    if 275 series tires are available that means it has to have more torque.
    The RS5's engine will produce 460 Nm, 30 Nm more than the RS4's.

Huge fail, keep that POS across the Pond then.
    Hmmm, interesting perspective.

I wonder - would you make the same comment about the E92 M3? (After all, the M3 isn't far off of "supercar" performance as it is)

The RS5 will apparently have 35+ more HP, plus more torque, plus quattro, plus potentially lower weight, so it should cover the M3's performance handily, I'd think.

I fail to understand how all that adds up to a fail.

460 Nm, that was what i had in the RS4 after remap. Not a significant change.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritchy View Post
    460 Nm, that was what i had in the RS4 after remap. Not a significant change.
    Maybe not, but the torque curve is also a factor to take in consideration.

And, based in some info that KresoF1 kindly provided us with, while maximum torque will be achieved at 5500 rpm, more than 80% of it will be available from 2500 rpm.

Simply

Quote Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T View Post
    I fail to understand how all that adds up to a fail.
    Because it won't be a more "civilized" GT-R like it should be.
    '97 993TT, '14 E63 S-line, '17 GT-R and a couple of '12 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4s for the kids.

Because it won't be a more "civilized" GT-R like it should be.
    Actually, I think that's EXACTLY what it will be. It will sacrifice some all-out performance to be a better all-around street vehicle.

Having personally experienced your GT-Rs various clunks, whirrs and bucks, I think quite a few people would be willing to trade a few tenths (or even seconds) here and there for some extra refinement.

Don't get me wrong, the GT-R is a towering achievement, and it would be fun to have one, but the RS5 will represent well in its target market, IMO.

Nonsense

Actually, I think that's EXACTLY what it will be. It will sacrifice some all-out performance to be a better all-around vehicle.
    This thing will be lucky to be 6/10's a GT-R (and I'd settle for 7.5/10's); RS 5 will be a gutless, parts bin car all the way down to being plagued by the carbon build-up issues as the RS 4 lump.
    '97 993TT, '14 E63 S-line, '17 GT-R and a couple of '12 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4s for the kids.

I tend to see the GTR and the RS5 as two different kinds of killers.

The GTR is a big and muscled psicopath, wearing an A-shirt, armed with a chainsaw and a machine gun,drinking beer and listening to heavy-metal, while the RS5 will be the kind of killer that sees death as an art, dressed in a tuxedo, armed with a japanese Katana and listening to Vivaldi.

RS 5 will be a gutless, parts bin car all the way down to being plagued by the carbon build-up issues as the RS 4 lump.
    It will be a lot more than that.

It will be a great car, and probably the best Audi RS to date. Perhaps not to everyone's liking (as proven by some of the posts in this thread) but a great car nonetheless.

This thing will be lucky to be 6/10's a GT-R (and I'd settle for 7.5/10's)
    Hmmmm.....

GTR......S5......% of GT-R's performance
    3.6......4.8.....75 (0-60)
    12.0....13.2....91 (1/4 mile)
    .99..... .92.....92 (Lateral G)

So, I guess you'd be happy with the S5, then, huh, since it already meets your criteria?

Oh, wait, this discussion isn't actually about performance for you, it's about turbos!

Sigh.

So, I guess you'd be happy with the S5, then, huh, since it already meets your criteria?
    You will forever be the straight-line weenie; you know I don't give an ass about 0-60, road circuits, man, road circuits.

road circuits, man, road circuits.
    I think we can safely predict that the RS5 will surpass the S5's (and E92 M3's) performance in every category, and will handily surpass your 75% "requirement".

You're just pissed that it doesn't have turbos.

Ironic, since you say straight-line doesn't matter.....what else are turbos good for - Cornering power??? NOT.

You Really Shouldn't Stray Into Math, Son.

doesn't have turbos.
    You assume my "requirement" is linear, a GT-R Ring time of 7:38 (being the magnanimous guy that I am, I'm spotting you the Suzuki time) and the S5 of 8:26 does not make the S5 90% the car of a GT-R.

Like I said, it will be nice and gutless for the wife.

You assume my "requirement" is linear, a GT-R Ring time of 7:38 (being the magnanimous guy that I am, I'm spotting you the Suzuki time) and the S5 of 8:26 does not make the S5 90% the car of a GT-R.

Like I said, it will be nice and gutless for the wife.

that makes one minute more driving pleasure, doesn't it?
    Vorsprung durch Technik