Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So much for the stealth factor....

So much for the stealth factor....

Picked up the beast today. In the 12 miles it took me to get home, I was "thumbed-up" and given "congrats" at three different stoplights - one Audi driver, and two other guys in American cars. Maybe its the area in which I live (northern 'burbs of Chicago), but the stealth factor ain't workin!

Will post impressions and pics later...

Patrick

That is SO opposite of my Chi. burbs experience

With 3k miles logged my car is virtually invisible; which is just the way I want it. One thumbs-up/acknowlegement to date:

Cruising 294N just out of O'Hare toll and see this pick-up in my mirror driving crazy fast with crazy lane changes to match. First opportunity, move out of left lane to let this "nut" by--I was already doing almost 80 myself--and think to myself, "what a doof driving like that, in a pick-up no less." Turns out this person was driving psycho to merely catch up with me and give me a thumbs-up! Now for the kicker...it was a woman...not to sound sexist, but that was surreal

Otherwise, I'm just going on my merry, anonymous way. COOL.

BTW, we really must have a Chicago Metro group photo one of these days:

srosie
    RS6FEVR
    Bajors6
    erjun
    Patrick M
    yours truly, ICONCLS

And get these local guys to road-trip

GoFastKindaGuy
    DaBull
    gregoryindiana

...am I missing anyone?

That would truly be an awesome RS 6 class photo; remember, I designated Chi. RS 6 mecca.

When I first picked the car up I got three thumbs up from three audi drivers on the way home. Since then I get about 1 to 2 people a day who know what it is.....I would guess only car nuts would know what it is. But for the most part very stealth.

Bauer

03 RS6
    01 S8
    92 S4

re: So much for the stealth factor...

and Patrick M and Icon

I guess with misano red the stealth thing is kinda moot with me

I was at the final Schaumburg Flyer game Saturday and two of the traffic directors went absolutely ga ga over the red devil. Thumbs up, gawking, etc. I don't get a whole lot of extra exhuberance in the northern burbs where I drive pretty much daily, but the M3's and 5's definitely look askance!! :devil: I just love when that happens! Even badged, I feel that the exclusivity of the auto leaves us pretty stealthy.

Icon, you the man on predictions . We are the mecca as you intuitively predicted! Would definitely like a GTG. I'll have some weekend time 9/27 or 10/4. Will have more time 11/16 or later.

FEVR

Re: That is SO opposite of my Chi. burbs experience

Originally posted by iconcls
    BTW, we really must have a Chicago Metro group photo one of these days:

srosie
    RS6FEVR
    Bajors6
    erjun
    Patrick M
    yours truly, ICONCLS

And get these local guys to road-trip

GoFastKindaGuy
    DaBull
    gregoryindiana

...am I missing anyone?

That would truly be an awesome RS 6 class photo; remember, I designated Chi. RS 6 mecca.
    Just send me the pictures. If they are nice I'll put them on the main page for an article.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

ICONCLS - Is your beast de-badged?

I would like to know your stealthy secrets: I was hoping to remain low-profile, and today's experience as well as those reported by the other Chicago area guys seems to indicate that it won't be a happenin thing.

BTW, I'm up for the Chicago group photo shoot - Is anyone stepping up to organize?

Thanks,

Patrick

Maybe it's the uber-stealthy Avus Silver color in my case?

As of yet, no one has taken the initiative to organize a Chi. GTG; but now that everybody has seemingly taken delivery....

Personally, I can't organize anything because I am a shiftless, lazy bastage.

Gentelmen,

I too have only had 2 thumbs up from strangers in the 955 miles I have had her (or him, if you listen to my wife). Does not bother me one bit that no one recognizes the car except a dude on a Harley and a younger guy in a A6 4.2.

As far as the Chi-Town shindig I am all for it, if we can get some responses and dedications going on I may be able to (now dont shoot me if I cant) get the Chicago Motor Speedway for a little time, if I can obviously we cant go nuts out there not that we will mind you. If the CMS does not work out another place we will have to find because I think a chi-town get together is a must before the winter season is upon us, and living in chicago we all know that can happen in October.
    Let me know what you guys think.

Bajo
    2007 Audi S8 (daytona/black)
    2005 Mercedes G55 (designo graphite)

Thumbs up Hey count me in!

Congrats on your new car Patrick M! I am about 180 miles from Chicago and I would be interested in a gtg!

Thumbs up

I am about 180 miles from Chicago....road trips are always fun! Count me in!

Thumbs up Hey count me in!

Congrats on your new car Patrick M! I am about 180 miles from Chicago and I would be interested in a gtg!

Hey Patrick! Congrats! You will love driving now - stealth or no stealth. My thoughts on this...depends on where you are...In the land of beautiful cars (Orange Clounty), I hardly get noticed. There are too many Porsche's, Ferrari's and oh yes...SL 55's are dime a dozen! The main group that pays attention are the younger crowd...Mustangs...Beemers (but only the M-class) and those that say "so what did that run you - $50K?" I kind of like the attention...but do really like the stealth, especially when I'm blowing them away! The suprize attack is far funner! Enjoy - be safe and I look forward to hearing your stories.

Finally picked up my car today in Louisville. Mugello Blue, and complete anonymity for the whole trip home, as far as I could tell, past Indy and up to NE Indiana.

Break in period is OK so far, with just slight pressure on accel you are past trucks doing 90 mph. I never spend time behind or next to them; too much potential for trouble. But getting an easy 35 mph of acceleration was never this effortless.

Congratulations Patrick M and Gregory (Indiana)
    [img]http://www.audioimports.com/slogos3c.jpg[/img]
    [url=http://www.audioimports.com/cars/Audi.htm]Andre's Audi Pages[/url]
    [url=http://www.audiclubsa.org.za]Audi Club of South Africa[/url]

re: So much for the stealth factor....

Greg

Glad you finally got her! That turbo acceleration is soooo coooool. I'm a bonafide turbo junkie! :bigeyes: :bigeyes:
    Have a great time breaking her in and customary pics and impressions required thereafter.

FEVR

I'm in for a road trip!

We've had several great RS6 incounters:

One, in a parking lot... "I really like your car." "Thanks." "No, I reeeeallly like your car!" "So you know what it is?" "I'ld like to, if you know what I mean. [wink]"

Another, to my wife at a gas station... "My fantasy is to drive any one of the cars you bring in here. That one would be a good place to start."

"So, what did you drive in today?" "Audi RS6." "Oh." After brief absence and web search, "OH, SH**! That Audi!"

GoFastKindaGuy
    '18 McLaren 720S, '18 Audi R8 V10 Plus, '18 Porsche Turismo Sport Turbo, '12 Cayenne Turbo, '04 Carrera GT

No one ever recognizes my car..maybe 5 people that I have noticed in 6 weeks....Thats Orlando, FL for youthough...

J
    ----
    Jordan Conley
    03 RS6
    01 TT Roadster
    95 A6Q 2.8
    [IMG]http://www.rs6.com/gfx/racing/001a.jpg[/IMG]

a few observations

I've had a few encounters throughout my ownership, but not that many. The car is about 45 days old, and a couple of the ones that are worth mentioning are:

1) young guy in a blue Subaru WRX Sport Wagon; on the left lane going very fast; I was about 1/4 mile in front when I noticed him coming strong; I stayed in one of the middle lanes; once he noticed the beast, he applies brakes hard, looks at me, and just opens his mouth very wide (WOW kind of gesture);

2) just about 1 week ago, I'm about a block away from home, waiting at the light; three new college kids that must have just moved into Boston, inside a black BMW 3-series (debadged); front seat passenger gets up and got half his body outside the roof of the BMW via the sunroof; rear driver-side passenger got most of his upper torso out the back window; all passengers and driver giving me 2-thumbs up;

3) parked in front of my building, I went for ice-cream on Newbury St.; came back, and saw a young couple dancing about 1-2 feet away from the beast; the young guy (they were about college freshman) had both hands on top of his head, in praying formation (palm-to-palm), sort of gesturing the same feature as the 'shark fin'; I just stopped and watch them dance and talk how much they liked the 'shark fin' look; the two of them were clearly going to an art school nearby, as they had that look;

4) on Newbury St. in Boston; stop sign right before Sonsie, I usually take off from the stop sign a bit abrupt to get the roar going from the exhaust; Sonsie is about 10-15 yards from that stop sign; Sonsie is a restaurant that has the front wide doors opened, almost like a huge garage, but nice place; usually you see really expensive cars parked in the valet area; by the time I get to the front door, they've heard the beast's roar; I slow down, and watch everybody check the beast out; really funny; kind of induced gawking, but worth doing it almost everytime;

5) valet parking attendants at a few of the local restaurants always stare as I go by; probably hoping that I'd give them a chance to take her out for a spin without me knowing it; phat chance; those bastardos shall never even sit in it;