Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Audi in Detroit - Smaller E-Tron

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    the press release says the plastic/CF reinforced body panels will be seen in an upcoming production model? maybe on the RS5? or in the next R8?
    What time frame is upcoming.
    A few months or years.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Pretender View Post
    What time frame is upcoming.
    A few months or years.
    purposely vague. could be either. might even be the A1- not a sportscar.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Okay, after some digging, here is a summary of what everyone is saying about this concept. Essentially, it is the new R4 that will replace the TT. It uses the new rear-mid-engine platform previewed last year in the VW BlueSport Concept. This MQB platform will form the basis of three new models: an entry level Porsche, the new Audi R4, and a VW Roadster. I think we're looking at an R4 price point around the same level as the TT-RS. My guess is a launch in around 24 months. I imagine that a third concept based on this platform will be shown either at Paris in September, or Detroit in 12 months time, but wearing a Porsche badge. It seems that Audi is pretty delighted about the initial response to the design. Above all, MQB will set out to prove that you can get three very different cars from one platform.

i agree with your summary tailpipe- but i think you are wrong on one count- i don't think it will replace the TT. audi is planning to increase the number of models considerably. IMO i DON'T think this is a good idea, i consider it hubris- look at what has happened to GM and Ford. ni think audi should be leveling off the number of models and improving them, not adding so many more that it will confuse the consumer. i think audi is planning to add another model (R4) to the line up. i don't know what they are smoking in ingolstadt.

i do know that this design is not incompatible with a TT replacement. but i do think they should have either a TT or an R4 on sale but not both.

we'll see what happens.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

It's already decided that the TT will end after the Mk2.

It's already decided that the TT will end after the Mk2.

is that right? how sure are you?
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

The A5 and TT represent overlapping products fighting for similar consumers. Any consumer wanting an occasional rear seat will choose the A5 over the TT, and consider that the rear seats are token in the coupe and nonexistent in the roadster. Therefore, a reasonably priced mid engine two seater would help provide Audi with a purist sports car.

Quote Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
    Okay, after some digging, here is a summary of what everyone is saying about this concept. Essentially, it is the new R4 that will replace the TT. It uses the new rear-mid-engine platform previewed last year in the VW BlueSport Concept. This MQB platform will form the basis of three new models: an entry level Porsche, the new Audi R4, and a VW Roadster. I think we're looking at an R4 price point around the same level as the TT-RS. My guess is a launch in around 24 months. I imagine that a third concept based on this platform will be shown either at Paris in September, or Detroit in 12 months time, but wearing a Porsche badge. It seems that Audi is pretty delighted about the initial response to the design. Above all, MQB will set out to prove that you can get three very different cars from one platform.
    I had time to examine the pictures more and the "Audi Sport quattro S2" came in mind.
    And based on that i have a different idea about the future of this concept.
    I think it will not be MQB architecture but more R8 based with Longitudinal engine layout.
    And i will tell you why:

1) I can't imagine a RWD Audi.
    2) A quattro option is a must with this car.
    3) With a Bluesport MQB transverse layout it would be difficult to get a axle to the front.
    4) Imagine this car with a longitudinal R8 style drivetrain and longitudinal 2.5TFSI inline five cylinder engine with 400+ hp.

i am certain audi will extend the wheelbase of the next R8- and whatever the R4 is- to accomodate a longitudinal engine- be it 5 cyl or even 6 cyl.

to this end - i hope the next R8 and LP560 replacement are different- the former with smaller charged engines- the larger with big displacement engines. though they will likely be twins again.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Here's a Car and Driver video of the E-tron:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoMmP...ayer_embedded#

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    i am certain audi will extend the wheelbase of the next R8- and whatever the R4 is- to accomodate a longitudinal engine- be it 5 cyl or even 6 cyl.

to this end - i hope the next R8 and LP560 replacement are different- the former with smaller charged engines- the larger with big displacement engines. though they will likely be twins again.
    A 6 cilinder would be a V6, with other words short.

A 6 cilinder would be a V6, with other words short.

not really- look at porsche and bmw's inline 6's.

though i agree audi would probablt build on and develop on their current 6 cyl engines all of which are V's.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Pretender, i disagree with you here. I think this is MQB platform. And it will have AWD a la S3, TTS/ TTRS and Golf R. It just won't be Torsen. They'll use transverse mount with Haldex 4.

Many people are quite dismissive of Haldex AWD systems, but I hear that latest version is very clever.

Quote Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
    Pretender, i disagree with you here. I think this is MQB platform. And it will have AWD a la S3, TTS/ TTRS and Golf R. It just won't be Torsen. They'll use transverse mount with Haldex 4.

Many people are quite dismissive of Haldex AWD systems, but I hear that latest version is very clever.
    If the R4 will be a MQB mid engined car (like the Bluesport) it will be difficult to get a axle to the front.
    The mid engine layout is just a FWD layout put a axle back.
    That mean the gearbox is on the wrong side of the engine.
    With a longitudinal layout it will be possible to get a proper quattro system installed with a front sport diff.

here the same as in the other Thread - i think it's going to be the first RWD Audi

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroCool View Post
    here the same as in the other Thread - i think it's going to be the first RWD Audi
    Here the same as in the other threat - if that is the case they can keep it.