Thread: Oil Changes

Oil Changes

Hi All,

my car will be due for an oil change soon and just wanted to know if there will be an issue if i don't bring it to the dealer. (i have fidelity warranty)... i found a place where they use amsoil and maybe i can just buy the oil filter at the dealer. the dealer quoted me $350+ and the place w/ amsoil is $135+...i just wanted to make sure that it won't interfere w/ my extended warranty...(FYI , i use amsoil for my e55 and definetely smoother than mobil )... pls. advice.

thanks,
    Ronnie

Ronnie,

If the Amsoil meets the spec code of Audi....I dont see a problem. Did you check? 505.01 I think. Does the Amsoil meet it?

As for the E55...how can you tell its smoother? I have one of those as well. Does the Amsoil meet the Benz 229.5 speck code for the E55? Did you check? Mobil 1 has a specific euro blend 0w40 for 229.5 in Benz and BMW. Its not the off the shelf crap from Walmart.

If you have it, can you post the specific Amsoil that you are talking about because without it....we have no clue.

As for Fidelity, as long as you have records and can show you used the proper oil and filter. Should be no problem. Fidelity has been ok with indy shops and timing belts for the same reasons.

I hope that helps but really the Amsoil question is impossible for anyone here to answer without specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by rle55 View Post
    Hi All,

my car will be due for an oil change soon and just wanted to know if there will be an issue if i don't bring it to the dealer. (i have fidelity warranty)... i found a place where they use amsoil and maybe i can just buy the oil filter at the dealer. the dealer quoted me $350+ and the place w/ amsoil is $135+...i just wanted to make sure that it won't interfere w/ my extended warranty...(FYI , i use amsoil for my e55 and definetely smoother than mobil )... pls. advice.

thanks,
    Ronnie

thanks dhall, - i will save receipts and will use amsoil at least for this one.. - this is what i've been using for the e55 (see below), btw, do you have w210 or w211? mine is an 02 and wife's daily car! :-)

i've been using mobil 0w-40 also since day one w/ no issues and loved it but just wanted to check out amsoil. i beleive it meets benz specs.

thx,

[LEFT] [LEFT]Product Description
    AMSOIL European Car Formula Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil (AFL) is specially formulated for the lubrication needs of modern European gasoline and diesel cars and light trucks. Formulated with advanced AMSOIL synthetic base stocks, premium additives and a 5W-40 viscosity rating, AMSOIL AFL is the preferred oil for virtually all European automobiles, especially turbo-charged models. It is one of the only oils in North America to be recommended for the latest specifications of all three major European automakers - Volkswagen (Audi), BMW and Mercedes-Benz - and the latest North American API specification. AMSOIL European Car Formula is highly versatile for multiple applications.
    [/LEFT]
    [LEFT]AMSOIL, the leader in automotive synthetic lubrication, produced the world's first API qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972. Trust the extensive experience of AMSOIL The First in Synthetics® to do the best job protecting your engine.[/LEFT]
    [LEFT]Maximum Engine Protection
    AMSOIL 100% Synthetic European Car Formula contains high quality anti-wear additives and surpasses the tough ACEA oil specifications for high temperature/high shear viscosity. It provides outstanding protection in high RPM, hot running engines and delivers dependable long-term performance for the extended drain intervals set by European automakers.
    [/LEFT]
    [LEFT]Superior Engine Cleanliness
    The excellent oxidation stability, heat resistance and detergency properties of AMSOIL Synthetic European Car Formula keep engines clean. It is specially designed to prevent sludge and varnish deposits for reduced oil consumption, extended engine life and maximum overall performance.
    [/LEFT]
    [LEFT]Minimizes Exhaust Emissions
    AMSOIL European Car Formula is designed for newer vehicle emission control systems. It meets current industry and vehicle manufacturer requirements for long life protection of gasoline vehicle catalytic converters and diesel particulate filters (DPF).
    [/LEFT]
    [LEFT]All Season Performance
    The broad 5W-40 viscosity rating, low volatility (burn-off) and wax-free nature of AMSOIL Synthetic European Car Formula make it excellent for hot and cold temperatures. Engine wear is reduced, oil thickening is controlled and vehicles start easier in cold temperatures.
    [/LEFT]
    [LEFT]APPLICATION
    AMSOIL 100% Synthetic European Car Formula is formulated to surpass the most demanding European specifications. It is recommended for European and North American gasoline or diesel vehicles requiring any of the following worldwide specifications:
    [/LEFT]

[LIST][*]API SM/CF[*]ACEA C3[*]ACEA A3/B3[*]ACEA A3/B4[*]BMW LL-04[*]Mercedes Benz 229.31, 229.51[*]Porsche[*]Saab[*]Volvo[*]Volkswagen 502.00, 505.00, 505.01[*]DaimlerChrysler MS-10725[/LIST]
    Service Life
    Recommended for the extended drain intervals established by the vehicle manufacturer or extend based on oil analysis. Change oil filter at time of oil change.

Mixing AMSOIL
    AMSOIL AFL is compatible with conventional and synthetic motor oils. Mixing AMSOIL motor oils with other oils, however, will shorten the life expectancy and reduce the performance benefits. AMSOIL does not support extended drain intervals where oils have been mixed. Aftermarket oil additives are not recommended for use with AMSOIL motor oils.

[/LEFT]

Ronnie,
    The Euro spec oil you have listed above is the correct oil to use in the C5 RS6. The oil alone should go for about $80. Get the filter from Amsoil as well. They have been consistenly the top rated filter.

Does the place you found know the extent of the oil change on our cars. Not saying a qualified mechanic would have any problems, but there is usually more "disassembly" required to get the filter out. Usually involves letting the swaybar hang, and removing the turbo pipe on that side. I know some have found different ways though.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Does this indy place you found know that the sub-frame needs to be dropped some to get out the oil filter?

Amsoil is a fine blend but there should be no noticeable difference in the way the car runs with any oil that is within specs. Just my 2 cents.
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

the dealer quoted me $350+ and the place w/ amsoil is $135+...
    $350? - where are you located? Actually, doesn't matter where you are located. That quote is outrageous. Iirc, I pay about $165 at my dealer
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Jimmy, the subframe does NOT need to be dropped so don't let anyone tell you that. If anything, only the plastic pan and the right swaybar mount need to be dropped. There have been some that have said they could do the filter without dropping the right swaybar mount but I've found it is quick and makes it easy to do. I fill the filter with new fresh oil, put a plastic bag over it to cover it from dirt and then reach it up into place, then using the other hand pull the plastic (sandwich bag) off and tilt it over quickly to screw the fresh filter on. Filling the filter with fresh oil cuts down on part of the dry oiling system startup. I learned this many years ago from a famous Drag racer and later engine builder Herm Petersen a long time NHRA top fuel champion and later engine builder for some greats like Dom Prudhomme. Fill the filter and let it set for a few seconds and the oil soaks into the pleats and then you can fill it again. You can get almost a 1/2 quart of oil into the OEM filter.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Ahhh, very good. The rest of the story. The Amsoil your using looks just fine.

My wife drives the W211 every day. Except for when she needs it detailed or serviced. Then I get my hands on it. She wonders why the rear tires are wearing so rapidly. .....I dont know. Really.

Both nice cars. Glad they are paid for.

thanks dhall, - i will save receipts and will use amsoil at least for this one.. - this is what i've been using for the e55 (see below), btw, do you have w210 or w211? mine is an 02 and wife's daily car! :-)

i've been using mobil 0w-40 also since day one w/ no issues and loved it but just wanted to check out amsoil. i beleive it meets benz specs.

thx,

[LEFT] [LEFT]Product Description
    AMSOIL European Car Formula Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil (AFL) is specially formulated for the lubrication needs of modern European gasoline and diesel cars and light trucks. Formulated with advanced AMSOIL synthetic base stocks, premium additives and a 5W-40 viscosity rating, AMSOIL AFL is the preferred oil for virtually all European automobiles, especially turbo-charged models. It is one of the only oils in North America to be recommended for the latest specifications of all three major European automakers - Volkswagen (Audi), BMW and Mercedes-Benz - and the latest North American API specification. AMSOIL European Car Formula is highly versatile for multiple applications.[/LEFT]
    [LEFT]AMSOIL, the leader in automotive synthetic lubrication, produced the world's first API qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972. Trust the extensive experience of AMSOIL The First in Synthetics® to do the best job protecting your engine.[/LEFT]
    [LEFT]Maximum Engine Protection
    AMSOIL 100% Synthetic European Car Formula contains high quality anti-wear additives and surpasses the tough ACEA oil specifications for high temperature/high shear viscosity. It provides outstanding protection in high RPM, hot running engines and delivers dependable long-term performance for the extended drain intervals set by European automakers.[/LEFT]
    [LEFT]Superior Engine Cleanliness
    The excellent oxidation stability, heat resistance and detergency properties of AMSOIL Synthetic European Car Formula keep engines clean. It is specially designed to prevent sludge and varnish deposits for reduced oil consumption, extended engine life and maximum overall performance.[/LEFT]
    [LEFT]Minimizes Exhaust Emissions
    AMSOIL European Car Formula is designed for newer vehicle emission control systems. It meets current industry and vehicle manufacturer requirements for long life protection of gasoline vehicle catalytic converters and diesel particulate filters (DPF).[/LEFT]
    [LEFT]All Season Performance
    The broad 5W-40 viscosity rating, low volatility (burn-off) and wax-free nature of AMSOIL Synthetic European Car Formula make it excellent for hot and cold temperatures. Engine wear is reduced, oil thickening is controlled and vehicles start easier in cold temperatures.[/LEFT]
    [LEFT]APPLICATION
    AMSOIL 100% Synthetic European Car Formula is formulated to surpass the most demanding European specifications. It is recommended for European and North American gasoline or diesel vehicles requiring any of the following worldwide specifications:[/LEFT]

[LIST][*]API SM/CF[*]ACEA C3[*]ACEA A3/B3[*]ACEA A3/B4[*]BMW LL-04[*]Mercedes Benz 229.31, 229.51[*]Porsche[*]Saab[*]Volvo[*]Volkswagen 502.00, 505.00, 505.01[*]DaimlerChrysler MS-10725[/LIST]Service Life
    Recommended for the extended drain intervals established by the vehicle manufacturer or extend based on oil analysis. Change oil filter at time of oil change.
    Mixing AMSOIL
    AMSOIL AFL is compatible with conventional and synthetic motor oils. Mixing AMSOIL motor oils with other oils, however, will shorten the life expectancy and reduce the performance benefits. AMSOIL does not support extended drain intervals where oils have been mixed. Aftermarket oil additives are not recommended for use with AMSOIL motor oils.

[/LEFT]

I also use AMSOIL 5w40 and oil filter. Oil exceeds Audi recommendations.
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
    $350? - where are you located? Actually, doesn't matter where you are located. That quote is outrageous. Iirc, I pay about $165 at my dealer
    Same here...just got one just under $150 with a coupon. Pay a little less at indy shop. Does it matter...well my dealer was the one who last left me with a significant leak from the drain plug.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

The only time I get to touch the car. Service it, wash it, mop n glow. Thats about it.

My dealer just charged me $110 to change mine.

my dealer charges me $120 for oil change.. and they think that their floors are lined with gold...

thank you all for the comments and input. i might have to check out new country audi here in greenwich for an oil change quote... btw, anyone here driving a blue rs6 yesterday around 12:30 pm at hutchinson prkwy? what a snob! :-)