Thread: Noob Wheel/Tire ???'s

Noob Wheel/Tire ???'s

Okay, my newly acquired beast needs new rubber and the stock wheels have some curb rash, so I'm going to invest in new sets of each. Been reading/searching most of what I can here. I like the wide aggressive look and would have a set of the VMR 701's 19 x 9.5 right now if they were available, but they're not so I continue to ponder.

I was also looking at the Hartmann HRS6 204's and sent a query to them asking if they had plans for 9.0's or 9.5's and here's their response: "Pretty unlikely, the 8.5s have been working very well for those applications, we don't believe that going to a 9.0 or 9.5 will provide any benefits."

So my question is it that added benefit of a wider wheel allows for another inch of rubber on the road (more grip?) in addition to a more aggressive look? Why wouldn't everyone do this if so? Would 8.5's and a wider tire (275's?) accomplish the same thing? What are you all running?

And don't even get me going with questions about backspace and spacers...still haven't figured that stuff out yet.

Thanks.

W>
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue - mods? Whatever Ben does....

I was told 255's are as wide as you could go on 8.5" wheels. Not sure how true this is but I was told by someone at VMR. Looks like most people including myself are holding out for 9.5".
    03 RS6 DG Eurocharged

19" x 9" are factory specs for the RS6 plus.

The extra 1/4" per side is not that much larger. I too have been pondering wheels & tires. I'm tempted to buy inner & outer rims & machine my own center pieces.
    C5 RS6, A3 TDI, 02 TT
    01 Wrangler, 03 F250 Diesel, 08 F450

IMHO the 275s would not work well on the 8.5 rim.

It may handle worse then running 255 due to the sidewall aspect. OK for drag racing but not for corners.

Thanks for the responses.

W>
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue - mods? Whatever Ben does....

Do you want to sell your old wheels?I need a set for snows..let me know?

stay away from hartmann

I have forged rs4 replicas and they are all bent and have been coddled. I would look else where for rims.

I run 20" DPE S20s, 20x9 w/1" lip up front and 20x9.5 w/1 1/2" lip in the rear both wheels have 255/30s. They are a bit noiser than OEM but I love the feel and look. the 255s are the max I can go on the 9.5 before it starts to tretch. It is not a good idea to stretch the tire with this amount of torque and weight of the vehicle. Same goes for the opposite. proper tire size is paramount. The most important aspect is safety, fitment and the proper load rating on the tires. The rest is preference, unless you are racing and you shouldn't be on the street you won't need to worry too much about the performance as long as you select a quality wheel that does not weigh more than oem with the larger tire and you should be fine.