Thread: Touch Up Paint

Touch Up Paint

Have a small chip at the rear door handle. Best to get some touch up paint at the dealership or ??? Thanks.

W>
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue - mods? Whatever Ben does....

I have the same question -- passengers rear door handle in my case.
    2003 RS6 Avus Silver

for small dents and scratchs or lines in the paint, the best is Fix-IT Pro,, i'm planning to buy one but site is german only http://www2.mediashop.tv/?view=M1909
    "Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"...... Enzo Ferrari

The touch up stick from Audi works just great. Its made to order and fresh so expect to place a special order.

This works great too.

I just tried this system to fix some chips on my front bumper and hood. It worked great and the color matched perfectly.

http://www.drcolorchip.com/

After my second winter with the RS6 I had the to touch up the lower trim as the sand and salt does a job on the car. So I used the touch up spray paint (color and clear coat) and hand sprayed the areas! LOL. Worked fine. I was going to a car show.

Hand spraying an $85,000 car Priceless!

I also touched up three parallel marks from a person trying to squeeze in next to my car (80 year old, poor vision, poor judgement) So I hand touched up those as well.

That spray paint has held up very well.

But one actual full thickness chip has been rusty and will not hold paint. Its on the trailing edge of the rear wheel well.

So you can get paint from the dealer, just need the color code from the car.

Mike

If you really want to make a chip vanish.

Take it in several steps. Consider your chip from a micro standpoint. Your looking at a crater in the ground. Surface of ground is your paint level. You want all the paint in the hole and not around it. Fine. Go buy a couple of artist brushes with a fine tip and get your touch up paint ready.

Tools....artish brush, laquer thinner, 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper, polishing compound, razor blade, touch up paint and clear coat.

Prep...clean the area around the chip and dry it for paint. Take a blob of paint from the touch up and drop it on a clean surface. I take a clear plastic zip lock bag and place it on a box. Then with your artist brush dip and secure a small droplet of paint on the end of the brush. Go over to your chip and touch the center of the chip. The droplet will flow out and into the chip area.

Stop and move on to any other chips. Let it dry for a few minutes and look it over. How much of the crater was filled in? If you didnt fill in 80% of the crater then its round 2. Same process...dip and drop into the crater. Let it flow out and stop.

After you have filled 80+% of the crater then take a look around the rim of the crater. Did you spill over any paint on the flat surface of the paint? If so then it helps to take a razor blade and run it across the crater. That will pickup any overflow on the surface and leave the crater full of fresh paint.

Let it dry an hour. Then repeat process with the clear coat. dip, drop, flow. After a few minutes look over to see if you filled the rest of the crater to the paint level. Its ok to have just alittle build up over the ground level. If filled...leave dry overnight.

Day 2. Take your 2000 grit wet/dry and some hot soapy water in a spray bottle. Gently go over the chip/repair area with the sandpaper and plenty of water/soap. Gently. Now inspect the surface. If flat and smooth you should not be able to see any crater and the area will look flat.

Polish with compound and your done. Perfect repair.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    If you really want to make a chip vanish.

Take it in several steps. Consider your chip from a micro standpoint. Your looking at a crater in the ground. Surface of ground is your paint level. You want all the paint in the hole and not around it. Fine. Go buy a couple of artist brushes with a fine tip and get your touch up paint ready.

Tools....artish brush, laquer thinner, 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper, polishing compound, razor blade, touch up paint and clear coat.

Prep...clean the area around the chip and dry it for paint. Take a blob of paint from the touch up and drop it on a clean surface. I take a clear plastic zip lock bag and place it on a box. Then with your artist brush dip and secure a small droplet of paint on the end of the brush. Go over to your chip and touch the center of the chip. The droplet will flow out and into the chip area.

Stop and move on to any other chips. Let it dry for a few minutes and look it over. How much of the crater was filled in? If you didnt fill in 80% of the crater then its round 2. Same process...dip and drop into the crater. Let it flow out and stop.

After you have filled 80+% of the crater then take a look around the rim of the crater. Did you spill over any paint on the flat surface of the paint? If so then it helps to take a razor blade and run it across the crater. That will pickup any overflow on the surface and leave the crater full of fresh paint.

Let it dry an hour. Then repeat process with the clear coat. dip, drop, flow. After a few minutes look over to see if you filled the rest of the crater to the paint level. Its ok to have just alittle build up over the ground level. If filled...leave dry overnight.

Day 2. Take your 2000 grit wet/dry and some hot soapy water in a spray bottle. Gently go over the chip/repair area with the sandpaper and plenty of water/soap. Gently. Now inspect the surface. If flat and smooth you should not be able to see any crater and the area will look flat.

Polish with compound and your done. Perfect repair.
    Yes, I used a toothpick to fill the crater.

I got a touch up stick from a body shop where a small damage on my S6 was repaired. Worked perfectly fine, they had to repaint some parts of the front bumper and i really saw no difference between the original and the repainted bits.

@Aronis (Mike) $88'000? With the current exchange rate Swiss Franc / USD i get to a price of around $144'000 for my car