Thread: OEM 18" 9 spokes repainted OEM Ti color...

OEM 18" 9 spokes repainted OEM Ti color...

http://forums.audiworld.com/album.php?albumid=161244

This hopefully is the link to my pic poster on another forum with pictures from today of the wheels on my car. The wheels look fantastic in the ti color and look great on my Daytona car. The paint is a glossy finish on these which i decided to do rather than the matte finish of my OEM ti 19" 5 spokes. I did use the correct paint code for the titan grey.

I fully recommend doing this, i am very happy and wish i had done it sooner.

The center caps could not be done by the wheel guy but i have a body shop looking at what will stick to the metal ring so hopefully i will have those back in a week or so and i will take more pics.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

That looks great! I look forward to the final pics.

Mark,

Hot dog! I love it.

Can you post the paint code.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post

Mark,

Hot dog! I love it.

Can you post the paint code.

Thanks
    Thanks!

Yep, LY7P Titan Metallic Grey
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible

Hmm, I would have thought I would like that more, maybe it's better in person. Even thought about doing it.

Personally, there's something about Daytona, kind of a bluish tint to it that makes it clash with a dark gray, IMHO.

My next attempt is to machine or polish the face and rim, and paint the inner rim and spoke sides body color (Daytona), MTM kind of look.

Quote Originally Posted by RS6-4dr911 View Post
    Hmm, I would have thought I would like that more, maybe it's better in person. Even thought about doing it.

Personally, there's something about Daytona, kind of a bluish tint to it that makes it clash with a dark gray, IMHO.

My next attempt is to machine or polish the face and rim, and paint the inner rim and spoke sides body color (Daytona), MTM kind of look.
    The pics are difficult as it looks different in all light and obviously my exposure is bizarre as the buildings this morning were not hot pink. I will say that the color really is not far off from Daytona in person that doing it Daytona or titan would look fine, i debated just doing Daytona as i was going to try these glossy.

Colorwise its the same as what i have been living with in terms of my 19" OEM titan wheels in titan grey which i do think goes very well.

What you describe would look good too, just saw a Q7 with RS4 wheels in 20" treated similar to that way.

Quote Originally Posted by mmaturo View Post
    I fully recommend doing this, i am very happy and wish i had done it sooner.

The center caps could not be done by the wheel guy but i have a body shop looking at what will stick to the metal ring so hopefully i will have those back in a week or so and i will take more pics.
    Looks great!! Thanks for posting the pics. I'm working on this too. Would you recommend your "wheel guy?" I'm also in the midwest and looking to probably ship the wheels somewhere to be done. Do you know how he did it? Full sand/polish of wheels then paint? powdercoat? clearcoat? What did he charge to do the set? Any info you feel like providing would be helpful. Thanks.

Yep, LY7P Titan Metallic Grey......
    Looks OEM! Nice. What size tires are you running? Wheels look wider than factory, are you running spacers?
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by BenA View Post
    Looks great!! Thanks for posting the pics. I'm working on this too. Would you recommend your "wheel guy?" I'm also in the midwest and looking to probably ship the wheels somewhere to be done. Do you know how he did it? Full sand/polish of wheels then paint? powdercoat? clearcoat? What did he charge to do the set? Any info you feel like providing would be helpful. Thanks.
    Sorry for the delayed post as been on vacation and vacation from technology like my laptop...I paid about $90ea through a Discount Tire here that is very friendly to our Audi club here so they go above and beyond. It included demounting and remounting/balancing my winter tires. They were sand blasted and then powder coated. I may suggest calling Matt who is the manager at the Naperville, IL location of Discount Tire (Ogden Rd) (630) 428-0178 and see what info he can give you on where he sent the wheels out to. He certainly knows my wheels well so mentioning Mark and Rs6 in the same sentence he will know instantly.

I just got back in town so i need to check on my center caps that needed to go to a body shop separately to get painted.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopra View Post
    Looks OEM! Nice. What size tires are you running? Wheels look wider than factory, are you running spacers?

Thanks, 3 weeks later i am just plain in love with them.

Stock 18" OEM tire size...but they are my Dunlop M3 snow tires so look rather 'beefy'. No spacers.

I just got back in town so i need to check on my center caps that needed to go to a body shop separately to get painted.
    So what did you end up doing with your center caps?? I just finished powdercoating my OEM wheels a darker gray as well and am trying to figure out what to do with the center caps. Any pics or ideas from anyone would be appreciated.

Sorry about the delay, i was on a trip yesterday. The powdercoating guy couldn't do the center caps but a regular paint shop could and baked on the paint. We removed the rings and painted the entire cap also in the Ti. Looks fantastic. Hopefully link works to the pics. The caps came out darker but i actually think that is ok. Super happy that i did this as it gives me a unique look year around.

Sorry about the delay, i was on a trip yesterday. The powdercoating guy couldn't do the center caps but a regular paint shop could and baked on the paint. We removed the rings and painted the entire cap also in the Ti. Looks fantastic. Hopefully link works to the pics. The caps came out darker but i actually think that is ok. Super happy that i did this as it gives me a unique look year around.

Awesome - thanks for the info. I thought that's what the pics showed but couldn't be sure. Essentially you tried to match the paint and masked off the Audi rings, right? I'll post pics of mine soon. I LOVE the darker wheels!

Paint was attempted to match but honestly i think mixed up the Daytona Grey paint code with the titanium paint code but i think it looks fine. Actually if you look at the caps carefully you can see that they can come apart so they actually removed the rings by pushing through the little tabs that hold them in place and then snapped them back on after the fact. After the rings were off they did some sanding to roughen the surface to get the paint to stick better, sprayed them then baked them.

PS, i didn't complain because the wheel/tire guy i did the wheels through just threw them in for free even though he had to send them to another shop.