Quote Originally Posted by Mockenrue View Post
I don't have a problem with JT as such, and I recognise that Audi are aiming the A1 at a "younger" audience. However, it's a shame that a company with their pedigree feels the need to rely on a 'pop media culture' celebrity to promote a car which shouldn't have any trouble establishing itself in the market on its own merits.
Understood. However, i don't think the whole "pop media culture" classification holds. I don't believe Audi was looking for that specific "pop culture icon", when organizing their marketing campaign. I think Audi was looking for a young entrepreneur, an all around media icon and one that is also recognized worldwide. Justin fit the bill, and it wouldn't have matter if he was a pop star or a tennis player.

Also, Audi has done a remarkable job of media placement in the last couple of years (in the United States) to promote their new offerings. While the car might "make it" in Europe on "it's own merits", recognizable and abundant advertising is key to having success other markets.