Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Turns are not for S4 and RS4?????

Turns are not for S4 and RS4?????

I talked to the owner of this yellow RS4 on the picture when I was at the Ring in November.
    He hade changed exhaust, and now in the winter he would get more power in the engine, he told me.

This day when I talked to him the track was wet and slippery, so I said: today it must be great to drive this car aurond the Ring.
    No, he said, the car is too heavy so I have great problems to take the corners when the track is wet.

This is what my freinds always told me, when I've said I'd like to drive an S4 at the Ring. "S4 is for the Autobahn, not for the Ring":mad:
    Iwas so disappointed when the RS4 owner told me the same thing, as my friends. Audi is too heavy in the front when the road turns.
    Lelle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rs4 in the pit stop.jpg 
Views:	2420 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	223  
    On my way from the Cradle to the Grave.

Ge some nice caoilovers from Hohenester and it will work fine on the ring! At least the TT:s handling abilitys increases greatly with only a good set of coilovers!

The swedish magazine bilsport had a test with the TT in the superstage and it improved from 1.35.5 to 1.30.5 with only new brakes a coiloverset and a powerincrease less than 35bhp.

Regards /Nicke
    [url=http://www.zon.se/bil/tester/auditt/bilder/25.jpg]Audi TT Roadster[/url] Thanks to: [url=http://www.movit-scandinavia.com][color=red]MOVIT the brakes-Scandinavia[/color][/url] [url=http://www.ace-competition.com][color=blue]ACE Competition[/color][/url]

Well it is no secret the M3 is a little faster on track.
    quattro has its advantages and disadvantages, it adds weight but also adds a lot of traction.

The RS6 has a weight distribution of 40/60 while the M5 is more like 48/52 just as a reference. Not sure about the RS4 vs. M3 but it would be similar I guess.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Smile

The M5 may be a reference, but all the tests I have read comparing the M5 and the RS6 show that the RS6 does better in a track than the M5. It simply goes quicker in curves.
    Even if the same tests show that the M5 accelerates faster at least until 200 km/h. So the RS6 definitely handles better in turns.

As for RS4 I guess if you compare it with a lighter car (like a Lotus Elise) or a Porsche, you may be disapointed... but on the track it is not ridiculous compared with similar cars that you can also drive every day, like the M3, also quite heavy.

The S4 is still quite different from the RS4, and I agree the standard S4 is more for the Autobahn... not talking about the brakes, I simply wouldn't dare to try mine on a track.

However with better brakes, and arround 60 mm lowered with KW suspensions as what I have, I would give it a try... in curves has so much grip, and it is well balanced... and when it's raining you can accelerate really quickly without any feeling of loss power... so I think with the torque it has (more than the RS4 at low rev)... it would have a chance. But it would remain a 1,6 T. car, quite heavy for the track in comparison with lighter cars with less HP.

But in the daily life, on the nice streets... and on the German Autobahns, the S4 is so much fun... even when it's raining.
    I still do not find a better compromise either by BMW or any Japanese car.

Originally posted by Erik B
    Well it is no secret the M3 is a little faster on track.
    quattro has its advantages and disadvantages, it adds weight but also adds a lot of traction.

The RS6 has a weight distribution of 40/60 while the M5 is more like 48/52 just as a reference. Not sure about the RS4 vs. M3 but it would be similar I guess.
    I don't know why the M3 came up in this thread, is it because it is so good?

Anyway, the RS4 has a weight distribution of 60/40 and the M3 49/51. Even without AWD that suppsosedly adds traction (and it does add a lot when it's not dry) the M3 is faster around Nordschleife as well as around Hockenheim and is also quite a bit faster in slalom and moose test. The RS4 is clearly faster in when it comes straigh line performance though.

One shouldn't take the Sport Auto tests as written in stone and I think the M3 and RS4 as well as the M5 and RS6 are all great cars.

One thing I find strange is that the RS6 is faster than the M5 on Nordschleife but not on Hockenheim. The latter is where handling counts most so the M5 may have similar handling but it also has better straight line performance than the RS6 and with similar handling and better straight line performance it should be faster than the RS6 on Nordschleife, right?

Cheers,
    /Johan

why you compare always the S4, RS4 to the M3 , let's get to serious things...
    Get a Porsche, then compare!

Well, i agree, the price...

i'm sure you can have a lot of fun with RS4's on a track as well,
    owkay, they tend to understeer a lot more, but that's a lot safer for most of the occasional "track-drivers". Last summer at the nurburgring i saw an M3-driver (who obviously didn't had al lot of experience) crash his car because he couldn't control his oversteering car. i don't get whats so much more fun about that???....... perhaps for the people that are watching

Btw, RS4's do oversteer (i got proof of that!:byeM5: )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tes1.jpg 
Views:	2389 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	269  

Who said the RS4 can't oversteer?

Edit, sorry direct link doesn't work and it's a little bit hard to find if you can't read swedish.

RS4 oversteer...2.2Mb mpeg

damn, Link doesn't work :error:

Yes it does. Very well too, got about 2,5Mbyte/s from it. NordicAudi is a good site too, BTW.

then I'm the problem (very good possible because I'm not that good with computers) it says "direct acces forbidden"
    do you have to subscribe or something to view it?

It is correct that NordicAudi doesn't allow direct links. However it seems to have worked for someone?

In any case a 2.2 Mb file with similar driving to the pic above.

Yes, works fine for me. Strange...

Originally posted by Reno
    i'm sure you can have a lot of fun with RS4's on a track as well,
    owkay, they tend to understeer a lot more, but that's a lot safer for most of the occasional "track-drivers". Last summer at the nurburgring i saw an M3-driver (who obviously didn't had al lot of experience) crash his car because he couldn't control his oversteering car. i don't get whats so much more fun about that???....... perhaps for the people that are watching

Btw, RS4's do oversteer (i got proof of that!:byeM5: )
    What's fun with someone crashing his car?

Originally posted by Porsche_Carrera
    why you compare always the S4, RS4 to the M3 , let's get to serious things...
    Get a Porsche, then compare!

Well, i agree, the price...
    Like I said: I don't know why the M3 came up in this thread, is it because it is so good?

With R compund tires on my car I am much faster than a 996 C2 or C4 and they can't use them since the engine will suffer from oil distribution problems and eventually break down (much like the M3 )

But the GT3!

/Johan

Originally posted by johann

What's fun with someone crashing his car?
    that's the point, and as for spectators off course not in every situation, here, it was very obvious that nobody could have got injured. the driver was just very clumsy.
    (it was just funny,every single spectator in the corner where i was standing was laughing)

Originally posted by Erik B
    It is correct that NordicAudi doesn't allow direct links. However it seems to have worked for someone?

In any case a 2.2 Mb file with similar driving to the pic above.
    It works for me now if u pick "save target as" and download it!

My misstake

:roll:

BR /Nicke
    [url=http://www.zon.se/bil/tester/auditt/bilder/25.jpg]Audi TT Roadster[/url] Thanks to: [url=http://www.movit-scandinavia.com][color=red]MOVIT the brakes-Scandinavia[/color][/url] [url=http://www.ace-competition.com][color=blue]ACE Competition[/color][/url]

Originally posted by Reno

that's the point, and as for spectators off course not in every situation, here, it was very obvious that nobody could have got injured. the driver was just very clumsy.
    (it was just funny,every single spectator in the corner where i was standing was laughing)
    Brünnchen?

I've seen quite a few Audis crash at the Ring, some RS4, and I still don't see your point. Next time it could happen to you (or me).

I think most people standing there watching reminds of vultures especially the ones that never drive themself.

I can see that people laugh out of relief but to laugh at someone that just destroyed his car is just low IMO.

OK, I admit it can be fun to watch.
    Last edited by johann; December 18th, 2002 at 17:47.