Thread: S5 with 4.2 V8 Will Continue For Now

S5 with 4.2 V8 Will Continue For Now

when will we see S5 with V6SC?

interesting from the article

V8 will continue on in the coupe until the car receives its mid-cycle facelift likely no sooner than the 2012 model year.

As mentioned, the A5 and S5 product range will receive a mid-cycle upgrade that may result in the adoption of ‘B9’ chassis designation as a similar evolution did with the B7 back in 2005.

if it is true it'll still only be a very short run of 2011 MY cars with the V8. i bet the 2012 model gets introduced in january 2011. besides- 2010 is literally 3 weeks away already.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    if it is true it'll still only be a very short run of 2011 MY cars with the V8. i bet the 2012 model gets introduced in january 2011. besides- 2010 is literally 3 weeks away already.
    so new rs4 end 2011?

Quote Originally Posted by andreadebi View Post
    so new rs4 end 2011?
    if, than as avant only.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

Quote Originally Posted by andreadebi View Post
    so new rs4 end 2011?
    i think it is possible. in that range of cars the market has a lot to do with it. market is still terrible, so far audi has been able to redirect supply to where it can be sold. few S5's in the US lots for that reason, but that will work for now only. the world is hedging its bets on the consumerism of china and such. but cars like the RS4 are still up in the air.

i am very surprised by audi's decision to hold off on the V6T in the S5, esp. since the S5 cabrio has it already. kind of just plain silly. i think they are simply holding off on the engine change until the RS5 goes on sale. i predict we'll start to see S5 coupe with the V6T hitting the ring once the RS5 is shown in 3 months time. after all, it won't go on sale till fall of 2010 as a MY 2011 car. that will be around the time the S5 gets the engine change.

i am still not sure on the B9 issue for the 2012 A4/A5 lines.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Audi's usual rock-solid model plans appear to have been disrupted by the global downturn. There is a lot of conflicting information coming from different insiders. I'm finding it hard to keep track of what is really going on. This time last year, many posts anticipating the release of the RS5 were predicting late summer or early autumn. Now it is spring 2010. Similarly, the A8 was released later than expected. Now the S5 seems to have changed again.

i suppose that part of the continued presence of the V8 n the S5 is due to the 3.0 litre V6 TFSI being somewhat thirsty. I had heard that this was receiving minor tweaks to improve its economy and emissions, so there is no point switching from V8 to V6 until this is ready. Anyone care to shed more light on this.

I tend to think that Audi's V8 engine line-up needs TFSIing pretty damn quickly, but they're taking a lifetime to do this. The 4.0 litre TFSI V8 was meant to debut with the A8. Then again maybe it was just meant to debut in the A8 not necessarily with it.

I guess what I am saying is that we need a reliable update on what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
    Audi's usual rock-solid model plans appear to have been disrupted by the global downturn. There is a lot of conflicting information coming from different insiders. I'm finding it hard to keep track of what is really going on. This time last year, many posts anticipating the release of the RS5 were predicting late summer or early autumn. Now it is spring 2010. Similarly, the A8 was released later than expected. Now the S5 seems to have changed again.

i suppose that part of the continued presence of the V8 n the S5 is due to the 3.0 litre V6 TFSI being somewhat thirsty. I had heard that this was receiving minor tweaks to improve its economy and emissions, so there is no point switching from V8 to V6 until this is ready. Anyone care to shed more light on this.

I tend to think that Audi's V8 engine line-up needs TFSIing pretty damn quickly, but they're taking a lifetime to do this. The 4.0 litre TFSI V8 was meant to debut with the A8. Then again maybe it was just meant to debut in the A8 not necessarily with it.

I guess what I am saying is that we need a reliable update on what is going on.
    Nope, the V6T gets amazing fuel economy ratings on the EPA cycle, way better than the V8. But then again it shows once again that the people that are buying the S5 don't really care.

In the US (land of the cheap V8) it's hard to sell a V6 powered car in the S5's price range. The S4's cheaper price and V6 powered competition make the V6T more acceptable. But for the S5 most buyers don't care if the V6 version will be quicker and get better fuel economy.

BTW, remember that Excel about Audi's upcoming engines? Turns out it was the real deal as it was the only one that had the 372 horsepower NA V8. In that same document the S7 is singled out as the debut of the 4.0T.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10805291...e-leaked/page3

chewy- with the V6T the S5 will come down in price by over 4K. and no gas tax. it'll be a much more profitable car for audi.

on another note- the NA 4.2 372 hp engine will go the way of the dodo once the 4.0T hits the market, unless the 4.0T produces significantly more than 372 hp.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by chewym View Post
    Nope, the V6T gets amazing fuel economy ratings on the EPA cycle, way better than the V8. But then again it shows once again that the people that are buying the S5 don't really care.

In the US (land of the cheap V8) it's hard to sell a V6 powered car in the S5's price range. The S4's cheaper price and V6 powered competition make the V6T more acceptable. But for the S5 most buyers don't care if the V6 version will be quicker and get better fuel economy.

BTW, remember that Excel about Audi's upcoming engines? Turns out it was the real deal as it was the only one that had the 372 horsepower NA V8. In that same document the S7 is singled out as the debut of the 4.0T.

very reliable info till now!

Quote Originally Posted by chewym View Post

I hadn't seen this, so thanks for posting it.