Thread: PSSPleasure....DRC problem solved ..

Thumbs up PSSPleasure....DRC problem solved ..

I haven't had much luck with this car since I got it. The bad DRC made my car feel like a POS. I figured that with the the new DRC update, I'd be ok, as my car just had it done this September. Well, that wasn't the case.

I had the local dealer look at it, and the tech told me that he could get it better... I'm sure he could have, but after considering the failure rate, I decided not to even give the dealer the chance.

So as I already posted, I bought the newest version of the PSS9, F4.GM5.8868.H3. The PSS9 has been twice modified since the original came out, which was F4.GM5.8868.H0., then the F4.GM5.8868.H2. Some pretty big changes were made from what Bilstein tells me.

Rant...

Anyway, I took out the DRC components, and I have a comment to make about the struts. They are cheaply made. Honestly, you'd expect struts like this on a Kia. I am basing this on the rod diameters, and unit weight, and other factors as well. I can see why they wouldn't last long.

The very fact that you have to use air pressure, and not nitrogen to pressurize the system is odd. All modern struts use nitrogen due to it's temp stability.. These units come empty. I wonder if from the factory, Audi uses nitrogen, and the dealer uses air to simplify the process. Just a guess.. Also, you need to purge and vac the units installed on the car, which means the sruts must be at the top of the bore with the wheels hanging.. IMHO, that process makes the possibility of air in the struts likely. Even if you get all the air out, you still need to get enough oil in, and that too can leave an air gap in the system if not enough is sucked in. The new tool they use is supposed to be fool proof, but based on the posts I've read, the recharge process is flawed. It must be done absolutely perfectly. Can it be done perfectly? Sure. Will it be done perfectly? Probably not. Will it last if done correctly? Don't know, don't want to find out...I do doubt it though..

Sooo, I installed the PSS9 and Hotchkis ARBs Friday, and I had a couple of days to try them out. Bottom line, they are absolutely fantastic. The car is solid, quiet, has no lean at all, and rides smoother than I ever expected. I have it set on 4 (little more than midway stiff), and I have the height at 13.25 front and 13.5 rear, from the bottom of the fender arch to the center of the wheel. Or, 23.25 and 23.5 from the arch to the bottom edge of the wheel(not the bottom of the tire which is inaccurate).

I can't imagine the car could ride or handle any better, yet still be extremely comfortable, even over moderate potholes and bumps. I'm glad the DRC is no longer sucking the love affair out of my relationship with my RS6... DRC solved, case closed.

I feel a lot better about the car now
    Last edited by Innovator; December 7th, 2009 at 02:19.

Congrats on the PSS9 install. I too am loving my KW V3's. Did you check all of your control arms while you were doing the install? My fronts were pretty worn out.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

The control arms were replaced in September. It's all good...

Rick,

I must say that you do not mess around. My DRC repair was perfect from day one or I would be going on your road.

I wish my ride height were 13.25/13.5

Can you post pics?

Congrats on ripping the band aid off and ridding yourself of the oil demon. Nice write up on the details of your observation.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Rick,

I must say that you do not mess around. My DRC repair was perfect from day one or I would be going on your road.

I wish my ride height were 13.25/13.5

Can you post pics?
    Hi Dave. That's how I roll. A little OCD anyone...

I do not have any pics yet, but maybe later today I will take some. How do you upload them?

Anyway, if your DRC is good, then I agree it's pointless to change it, but if it goes bad, I'd go right for the coilovers and not waste my time with the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    Congrats on ripping the band aid off and ridding yourself of the oil demon. Nice write up on the details of your observation.
    Yea, this always happens when I buy a new, used car....

Quote Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
    So as I already posted, I bought the newest version of the PSS9, F4.GM5.8868.H3. The PSS9 has been twice modified since the original came out, which was F4.GM5.8868.H0., then the F4.GM5.8868.H2. Some pretty big changes were made from what Bilstein tells me.
    I can't find any information about a H3 version. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks