Thread: Hissing sound from transmission pan area..Anybody?

Hissing sound from transmission pan area..Anybody?

I have noticed that my transmission makes a hissing sound when the car is idling. Like a shhhhhhhhh sound . It never goes away.. Anybody else hear this? If you never noticed, please observe..

Rick

Hmmm- Very interesting. My tranny just got back from IPT

Quote Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
    I have noticed that my transmission makes a hissing sound when the car is idling. Like a shhhhhhhhh sound . It never goes away.. Anybody else hear this? If you never noticed, please observe..

Rick
    and installed yesterday. The tech reported the same sound by the pan. The tech installing the tranny called IPT and they think it may be that the pan was pushed in during shipping or when installing the tranny. They state the pan is very close to the filter and can cause this symptom. The new pan and new filter arrived this morning and the tech is currently installing. I should know if this corrected the issue this morning. I'll let you know.

The following was IPT's response in summary:
    "we feel the issue is that the pan was pushed up when installing the transmission,the filter is very close to the bottom of the pan and if the pan is push on at all it can push up against the bottom of the filter…..installers need to be very careful when installing the transmission not to put anything under the pan">>

Innovator, I would look under the car and see if your pan is intact and look flat. Otherwise I would Vagcom it and have the transmission fluid level checked as a minimum, or have the fluid changed as an extra precaution.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

There should be no hissing, sounds like somthing to do with fluid flowing, possibly restricted some how? Or maybe thats just the way the modded valve body sounds due to increased pressure?
    Last edited by p3u; December 4th, 2009 at 19:27.

Wrong filter. There are two different size filters. Cut off 12mm of the filter's pickup pipe before installation.
    05 Cayenne turbo

Innovator, as TozoM8 said, I have seen another filter with a different pickup that the dealer sold me one time, when I got home and compared it I realized I had the wrong one. Any mechanic who overlooked the difference if that is the problem, obviously doesn't pay attention to detail.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Samuel L. Jackson called, he found your hissing problem

"Yeah, looks like a transmission snake, time get the this MOTHA F@#$IN SNAKE, OFF THIS MOTHA F$%@IN CAR!"

Yahoooooo! The noise is gone

Tech called and stated the new pan and filter corrected the issue. Upon further review, they confirmed the pan was indented at the filter area.
    Last edited by MaxRS6; December 4th, 2009 at 20:40.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    Tech called and stated the new pan and filter corrected the issue. Upon further review, they confirmed the pan was indented at the filter area.
    Glad to hear! Guess I was way off thinking it was transmission snake.

Silly question, if the bottom pan was pushed in, couldn't it have been straightened out? I believe it was as TozoM8 stated: wrong filter.
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

I my case, that is not the problem. The pan is not bent in, and I do have the correct filter.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    and installed yesterday. The tech reported the same sound by the pan. The tech installing the tranny called IPT and they think it may be that the pan was pushed in during shipping or when installing the tranny. They state the pan is very close to the filter and can cause this symptom. The new pan and new filter arrived this morning and the tech is currently installing. I should know if this corrected the issue this morning. I'll let you know.

The following was IPT's response in summary:
    "we feel the issue is that the pan was pushed up when installing the transmission,the filter is very close to the bottom of the pan and if the pan is push on at all it can push up against the bottom of the filter…..installers need to be very careful when installing the transmission not to put anything under the pan">>
    This is what they told me too, but nope...

Quote Originally Posted by TozoM8 View Post
    Wrong filter. There are two different size filters. Cut off 12mm of the filter's pickup pipe before installation.
    I did try that Tozo. Still hisses.

Did you find the snake

Quote Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
    I did try that Tozo. Still hisses.
    and/or a resolution? I received my bed pan back from the tech and it was certainly indented. I have the parts and will ask IPT to file a freight claim as my tech believes it was bent during shipping when it was strapped down to a pallet.