Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I smart, or just wasting my money..?Too late..

Am I smart, or just wasting my money..?Too late..

I went to the dealer today to check out the suspension problems after the DRC was replaced. The dealer said that the system may not have been charged correctly, causing the symptoms. Of course, that is the problem. He said they would try to fix it... Basically recharge it and see how it is..

I told them ok, we'll give it a try. But by the time I got back to my shop, I thought to my self, do I really want to go through the process,of the up and back, trying to get the DRC as it should be? Never knowing if its 100%? Do I want to be dependent on the dealership when I can do virtually anything myself on this car? Well, everything but fix the DRC unless I buy the special tool for 1500 dollars...

Sooo, I just ordered the PSS9 kit, as well as Hotchkis sport bars. Maybe I am throwing away my money, but I like the fact I can adjust the height and stiffness with the coil overs. The stock setup is slightly higher than I'd like anyway.

In the end, it will all cost me 2,000, and the labor is no biggie. We do the install and alignment here..

I hope I did the right thing. It's funny because with my customers, I am far more decisive than with myself..

Any tips on the setting of the shocks and sway bars?

Rick

Rick,

I have the Hotchkis sways with the stock DRC. I love the ride.

Yes, the car could sit a wee bit lower but I like the ride the way it is.

I feel your pain to take it in over and over but honestly, I have only needed to take my car in once for the recall and its been perfect for 5 months.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Rick,

I have the Hotchkis sways with the stock DRC. I love the ride.

Yes, the car could sit a wee bit lower but I like the ride the way it is.

I feel your pain to take it in over and over but honestly, I have only needed to take my car in once for the recall and its been perfect for 5 months.
    I'm told by the Audi techs that modifications have been done in the recall that reduces the pressure in the system, thus contributing to less leaks but a softer ride than was originally designed . That coupled with the 'newer version' DRC failures on the 2007 RS4 leave me with little confidence in the durability of the new strut units... I'm hoping Hotchkis bars will make up for the DRC. No doubt they will.
    Last edited by Innovator; December 3rd, 2009 at 00:01.

Coilovers and ARBs (sway bars) is the only way to go!

You've made the right choice, don't worry.

I also plan to experiment with different alignment settings to compliment the new suspension. I'm sure bump steer will be different, and I want to play with the camber and toe settings to achieve the best balance and steering response.

I hope to be be rolling on it by this weekend with any luck.

With the RS6's power steering you really don't notice the bump steering change by lowering the car but I'm about to install new lower control arms with Sperical bearing soon and while I'm at it I'm going to install new tie rods so I may look into the angles of the tie rods and see if spacing the rack or tie rods is necessary.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    With the RS6's power steering you really don't notice the bump steering change by lowering the car but I'm about to install new lower control arms with Sperical bearing soon and while I'm at it I'm going to install new tie rods so I may look into the angles of the tie rods and see if spacing the rack or tie rods is necessary.
    Tell me more about these lower control arms please..

http://www.034motorsport.com/product...ducts_id=18307
    I just bought the bearings as I already had a new set of arm to install them into.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
    and I want to play with the camber and toe settings to achieve the best balance and steering response.
    Unless you change to adjustable control arms (uppers at least) you can't change camber on these cars, only cross camber. Search the archives for my long standing position on toe-in settings for these cars (calls for way too much - I say it was a safeguard to induce understeer which is safer than oversteer)

Ok,

I searched. No go.

What is your position on toe in settings?

You have most definatley made a good call. Did mine a couple of weeks ago and it's like a completely different car.

Much more stable...
    RS6 Avant, Miltek Res, ITG's, APR R1's, PSS 9's, H&R Sway Bars and Wangers intercoolers in the post.....

+1 the bilsteins are good.

Quote Originally Posted by RS6-4dr911 View Post
    Unless you change to adjustable control arms (uppers at least) you can't change camber on these cars, only cross camber. Search the archives for my long standing position on toe-in settings for these cars (calls for way too much - I say it was a safeguard to induce understeer which is safer than oversteer)
    The rear is fully adjustable for independent camber and toe. The front, you have to shift the subframe, and equalize the camber.

disappointed

Ok,

I searched. No go.

What is your position on toe in settings?
    The great one failed to find something? No wonder you always want things made into stickies and are concerned about thread titles! I kid, I kid, it's tough at the top, eh?

http://rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?...&highlight=toe
    post #12

I'll admit some of my other posts may have been on other forums and in my muddled mind it's all just a big blur of rants on too much toe-in .

Found this by searching with the complex statistical variance analysis algorithm, keyword "toe" and user name "RS6-4dr911".

Everybody likes a little ass, but nobody likes a smartass, except me.

Quote Originally Posted by RS6Steve View Post
    You have most definatley made a good call. Did mine a couple of weeks ago and it's like a completely different car.

Much more stable...
    What part # did you get? The new one ends in H2, or even newer is the H3

There in lies the rub.

I used "Toe in" and your screen name for my search.

crystal ball broke today. Is it a full moon?

Quote Originally Posted by RS6-4dr911 View Post
    The great one failed to find something? No wonder you always want things made into stickies and are concerned about thread titles! I kid, I kid, it's tough at the top, eh?

http://rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?...&highlight=toe
    post #12

I'll admit some of my other posts may have been on other forums and in my muddled mind it's all just a big blur of rants on too much toe-in .

Found this by searching with the complex statistical variance analysis algorithm, keyword "toe" and user name "RS6-4dr911".

Everybody likes a little ass, but nobody likes a smartass, except me.

There in lies the rub.

I used "Toe in" and your screen name for my search.

crystal ball broke today. Is it a full moon?
    Just spoke to Bilstein. They said with the new H3 version, and all previous versions for our cars, to use the OE alignment specs. Probably front camber will be slightly more negative if you really go low, but I plan on only a 14mm drop.

Got to say, Bilstein has the best cutomer service I've experianced.

Bilstein were good to me when I called them up. They were very apologetic that they didn't have any documentation for installing the PSS9's like KW do.

That's good to know about the alignment. I keep meaning to get mine checked since I fitted the shocks, but haven't got round to it.

One thing I found for the PSS9s is that they lower the car quite a lot. I'd be surprised if you manage to lower the car by ONLY 14mm.