Thread: Yet another data point for DRC repair...

Yet another data point for DRC repair...

I've had 2 full DRC replacements. Rear wheel still looked too high to me (pic is below), so I took it back to dealer. He said that he sent all measurements to Audi, and Audi responded by telling him that everything is within spec!! He admits it looks like hell, but said that there's nothing more he can do. His note to me is below. I give up. In the Spring I will go with KW or springs. Gary

------

Good Morning Gary,
    We took measurements of your vehicle and compared the to Audi's
    spec's.
    The specs for the front wheel base are 360mm +/- 10 mm
    The specs for the rear wheel base are 370mm +/-

on your vehicle the specs are as follows,
    l/f 359mm
    r/f 354mm
    with in +/- 10mm of 360

on the rear
    r/r 379 mm
    l/r 372
    with in +/- 10 mm of 370

as far as the noise, we lubricated the spring mounts, and eliminated the
    noise.
    This is coming straight from Audi ass far as the specs, and ride height.
    As per Audi I am to do nothing further. Sorry I can not do anything
    further to lower the ride height and make it look "nicer"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-18.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	8929  
    2003 Audi RS6
    REVO: 515 hp/500 lb torque
    19s, RNS-E Nav, Bluetooth
    Black pkg, smoked tails, eyelids
    35% tint

Given the specs and what we have found around here. I would agree with 360/370

Your car is pushing the low side of spec on the front and the high side of spec on the rear.

Not a typical combo but its within spec.

It looks like 2 fingers too high?

well, you could just ride the hell out of it and, oh darn! It broke yet again... DRC #3...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

If it is higher than before the repair, something did not get done properly.

Take it back to the dealer and have them call University Audi in Seattle to figure out how to get it right.

My DRC fix had the same symptoms and AOA has a fix for it. The problem as I understand it is that the system is put back together and tightened in the air. The "in the air" tightening doesn't allow the system compentent to settle into place.

The fix as I've seen posted elsewhere in RS6.com and explained to my by Univ Audi is to loosen the connection bolts in the system, put the car back on the ground, roll/shake/drive (slowly) the car around for a bit, it settles into place, and tighten everything back up.

No complaints with the DRC since.

Good luck.
    Topcat_92

It appears to not even be a DRC issue. It has to do with the tightening of suspension components. Isn't that something that we could do ourselves or have another shop do with out disturbing the DRC?

The Audi rep I spoke with at AoA says the spec is the same front and rear at 360mm +/-10mm. That would make your rear high. Have them settle your suspension as others have mentioned. I went through the extact same process with my DRC repair and am now satisfied.

Thanks guys for all of the help, but I think I'm done with this issue. I just don't have anymore time or patience for it. Next stop is KW v3 (recommended by many members) or the H&R coilover kit (http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...2.2&perfCode=P) as recommended by member Innovator on a different thread. GBG
    2003 Audi RS6
    35% tint

That is a great price for the H&R kit.

Is the A6 4.2 pn the same for the RS6? I assume so.

Quote Originally Posted by GBG View Post
    Thanks guys for all of the help, but I think I'm done with this issue. I just don't have anymore time or patience for it. Next stop is KW v3 (recommended by many members) or the H&R coilover kit (http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...2.2&perfCode=P) as recommended by member Innovator on a different thread. GBG

Seems like somewhere I had seen that these wouldn't work. Not sure why, but notice if you use their locator for the RS6 those units don't pop up.

Quote Originally Posted by RS6-4dr911 View Post
    Seems like somewhere I had seen that these wouldn't work. Not sure why, but notice if you use their locator for the RS6 those units don't pop up.
    I was told by a couple of knowledgeable people that the H&R kit for the A6 4.2 works perfectly for the RS6, but I have no personal experience. Let me know if you hear otherwise from a reliable source. Thanks
    2003 Audi RS6
    35% tint

I say go for it.

I was told by a couple of knowledgeable people that the H&R kit for the A6 4.2 works perfectly for the RS6, but I have no personal experience. Let me know if you hear otherwise from a reliable source. Thanks

Since then, I've researched it it bit more. I opted for the PSS9 version H3, which has to be sent from Bilstein, as most vendors still have the H0 or H2 version. The H&R are not adjustable, and you may end up regretting that especially if it's too hard as is. For 1700, the PSS9 is a great deal IMHO. Insist on the part# in the link below. The H0 had issues with the bottom clevis mount. They list the part# ending in H2, which fixed the lower clevis issue, but the H3 is the most current. We install a LOT of Bilstein sport struts, and they hardly ever fail, and I get great feedback. They really do take care of you if you have a problem though.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/cart/index..._id=2308&zenid=

Rick