Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RNS-E updated install into 03 RS6

RNS-E updated install into 03 RS6

What took me so long to install one of these? I have had many questions from new members on the install and wanted to update some info on the install. So lets do a thread.

Thanks to Jim in Phoenix with the install and R&R from both our cars. We installed a euro unit that was recoded and it works perfect with all functions intact.

I did not realize how slick the SD cards worked in the RNS-E. There is no need for an Ipod interface because I can load SD cards full of MP3 music and just plug it into the nav. Pic below. Then the operation of music selection from the SD cards is easy and runs thru a screen on the nav. Nice and the sound is awesome.

Key notes: Many of the threads used way back are now dead but Nene still has his up and running.

http://home.comcast.net/~nelson.paiva/RNS-E.pdf

Many links dead but an old RS6.com thread that helped.

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread....ighlight=rns-e

New members have a peek. This is the way to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rnsesmall.jpg 
Views:	1089 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	8935   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rnsesmall1.jpg 
Views:	1009 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	8936   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rnsesmall2.jpg 
Views:	1019 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	8937  

nice install!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Where did you source the unit?
    St Augustine, FL
    03 RS6
    07 GTI
    88 16v Cabby

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    What took me so long to install one of these? I have had many questions from new members on the install and wanted to update some info on the install. So lets do a thread.

Thanks to Jim in Phoenix with the install and R&R from both our cars. We installed a euro unit that was recoded and it works perfect with all functions intact.

I did not realize how slick the SD cards worked in the RNS-E. There is no need for an Ipod interface because I can load SD cards full of MP3 music and just plug it into the nav. Pic below. Then the operation of music selection from the SD cards is easy and runs thru a screen on the nav. Nice and the sound is awesome.

Key notes: Many of the threads used way back are now dead but Nene still has his up and running.

http://home.comcast.net/~nelson.paiva/RNS-E.pdf

Many links dead but an old RS6.com thread that helped.

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread....ighlight=rns-e

New members have a peek. This is the way to go.
    Glad you got the second link on here as I simplified the process over the Nene install quite a bit in a few of the last posts on that link. I have no idea why anyone would want to run to the roof antenna rather than just stick it in the dash with the limited removal of just the cluster that i did. My second run at installing an RNSE back in my car was less than 30 minutes. On the XM module i can get to the same spot without removing the trunk trim. I never bothered to remount it this time and just have it wedged in the pocket below the access door with some other stuff i keep in there. Agree that this is simply the best upgrade to the car both in looks and function.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

I need one too!!!

Great post. The install looks great.

Where can I find one of these? If anyone is selling, please give me a PM or post a source.

Cheers,
    MG

Here ya go-

Quote Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
    Great post. The install looks great.

Where can I find one of these? If anyone is selling, please give me a PM or post a source.

Cheers,
    MG

http://www.vagnavs.com/Audi3.html

However; I see they are currently out of stock...

Glad you like the RNS-E Dave. That was the first mod I did to the RS6 when I got it. I actually bought the RNS-E before I even decided to buy the RS6. Good install.

Thanks,

I am very picky with instrument upgrades. I always want all the buttons to match in style and color. I never had the opportunity to see/touch/smell an actual RNSE in the C5. That was the problem. I had no idea if the buttons/lights/screen would match the other C5 dash buttons.

Once I could see one installed....then noticed how the SD cards could play all the MP3 music....game over. That did it. To have the nav screen pull up all the SD card info and play my music....all she took.

Call and email that vendor to let them know your needs. I am sure they want to be sure the C5 market is still alive and well.

A must upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by AudiRS4ever View Post
    Glad you like the RNS-E Dave. That was the first mod I did to the RS6 when I got it. I actually bought the RNS-E before I even decided to buy the RS6. Good install.

Not trying to be a spoiler at all, but it would bother me having the old rns-d controls sitting defunct in the center console. Could you retrofit the little pocket from the non nav. A6's and remove the control panel?
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Actually that is plan b.

To order a pocket blank or find the pn for the cup holder that pops into the blank. Its the style that fits flush and you push the button which shoots it up and open.

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    Not trying to be a spoiler at all, but it would bother me having the old rns-d controls sitting defunct in the center console. Could you retrofit the little pocket from the non nav. A6's and remove the control panel?

The added features of DIS display are a just another bonus

Another key feature.

The nav directions not only show up on the nav screen but the DIS screen in the instrument cluster. So the turn by turn selections pop up in the instrument cluster. I like it. All the data to the turn and dest show up in the cluster.

The nav "lady" is also muted. When your playing music the turn by turn voice is not too loud. It lowers the music only slightly and the nav voice is muted. Perfect.

Another key feature.

The nav directions not only show up on the nav screen but the DIS screen in the instrument cluster. So the turn by turn selections pop up in the instrument cluster. I like it. All the data to the turn and dest show up in the cluster.

The nav "lady" is also muted. When your playing music the turn by turn voice is not too loud. It lowers the music only slightly and the nav voice is muted. Perfect.
    Oh, that's enough to sell me right there. That's what bothers me most about the RNS-D. The nav lady always goes back to that angry "WHO'S STEPH?" volume by default every time you start the car. The only way to turn it down is to quickly locate and frantically turn the knob only once she starts talking.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

I have not tried it, but can you play video through the SD cards? I dont use the SD cards on mine because it came with an Ipod interface. I dont like using the ipod this way because you cant see the list of songs and you cant shuffle through albums or genres. I think I will get me a couple of SD cards and put my favorite music on it and put the Ipod back in the VW.
    Last edited by GEN XER; December 3rd, 2009 at 01:09.

You can actually Vagcom the car to add or delete the Nav in the instrument cluster. I turned mine off there so I could still have all of the music there while in Navigation mode. I figured glancing at the screen and having her talk to me was enough.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by mmaturo View Post
    I have no idea why anyone would want to run to the roof antenna rather than just stick it in the dash with the limited removal of just the cluster that i did.
    The US OnStar system used the factory GPS antenna. If you remove the OnStar system you can use the antenna plug for the RNS-E. You can also use the pins from the OnStar wiring harness to wire up a factory BT phone unit as well. All of this is located on the passenger side firewall, under the carpet.

I did what bfly suggested was easy and I like the tie into the shark fin - likely better reception. Also love mine, easy install, best mod for the $$ for our cars.
    SOLD - 2003 RS6 Black on Black / SE / Solar / Carbon / APR ECU + TCU / Wagner Intercoolers / Fog light delete / RNS-E / LED tails / Clear Corners / Sportek Cooling / itg filters /

Actually that is plan b.

To order a pocket blank or find the pn for the cup holder that pops into the blank. Its the style that fits flush and you push the button which shoots it up and open.
    Let me know when you find the cup holder and welcome to the "RNS" clud
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by GEN XER View Post
    I have not tried it, but can you play video through the SD cards? I dont use the SD cards on mine because it came with an Ipod interface. I dont like using the ipod this way because you cant see the list of songs and you cant shuffle through albums or genres. I think I will get me a couple of SD cards and put my favorite music on it and put the Ipod back in the VW.
    no. which totally sucks