Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: DRC vs Bilstein/Koni Struts.

Quote Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
    I had no issues either, aside from the rear sagging a little. I just hated how the car rode with them.
    how did it ride?

Like a hay wagon. Like all coil-overs regardless of the setting. IMO, they are not appropriate for a large heavy car. You sacrifice too much ride comfort ..

I had both PSS9s, and KWs. They both made the car ride like a hay wagon. Soo.. I got some used complete strut units off of an A6 for needed parts, with new Bilstein Sport struts, new mounts and H&R springs for an A6 4.2, H&R front and rear Bar, and I'm loving it. It really rides like stock. I had the struts grooved to fine tune the height. I could have saved a boat load of money if I just did the last thing first!
    Well, my cost will be slightly less than yours, plus I do the work at my shop. If you go to Tireracks website, they have everything you need. Should cost around a grand for everything. We charge 500 for the install, including the alignment. This is a better option IMO than any coil-over hay-wagon setup.
    Innovator,

You are the second person that has stated, from an educated experience and prior purchase, that they don't care for the ride quality, or lack of, in coilovers regardless of brand.

Could you list these items that you used for your suspension?
    This might be helpful for those that feel the same about coilovers as you do, and it might possibly help some in their decisions on aftermarket suspension components.

Stasis Motor Sport suspension with Ohlins reservoir = $3800
    H&R coilovers = $1700
    KWv3 = $2200 - $2500
    PSS9 = haven't found a price for these yet.

Hotchkis sways @ $425 local no shipping

Almost as challenging as deciding which tune to go with...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    PSS9 = haven't found a price for these yet.
    I paid about 1800 new for mine shipped.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post

Almost as challenging as deciding which tune to go with...
    I wouldnt go THAT far, Ben...
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

I have Bilstein PSS9's fitted to mine along with H&R ARBs as they are slightly stiffer than the Hotchkiss. I'm so happy I don't have the DRC headache anymore!

Just remember to change the top mounts at the sometime.
    RS6 Avant, Miltek Res, ITG's, APR R1's, PSS 9's, H&R Sway Bars and Wangers intercoolers in the post.....

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    I wouldnt go THAT far, Ben...
    I have to toss in SOME ambiguity into the mix

Top Mounts would occur at the same time, at least that is the plan
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I'm sorry but Innovator, if you want a car that rides better than the performance minded RS6 then there is the A6 or S6 but there suspension isn't made to handle the same types of demands / responses that the DRC (in good working order) or Coilovers properly adjusted can attain. Why pay the money for a RS6 then degrade the suspension to one less capable? There are probably 20% of the forum members here with aftermarket coilovers and I don't think that any others I have heard on the list say they would go back to the DRC or want a lower grade suspension? There have been some complaints with certain brands, and some of those can be attributed to improper adjustment but most are satisifed or more than satisfied. All coilovers will settle and any good shop or mechanic installing as set should explain that to the customer. You adjust a little high then have the customer bring the car back in a month or so for a final adjustment, it is a fairly easy procedure to do, just threaded collars but it takes a little time as you may have to go all around the car a couple of times as once you raise one corner, the weight balance will change and you may have to go back to the other corner you did before and so on. All spring manufacturers list the settling issue, maybe there are some out there that pre-settle there springs on a spring dyno, I know of some raceshops that do it.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I'm sorry but Innovator, if you want a car that rides better than the performance minded RS6 then there is the A6 or S6 but there suspension isn't made to handle the same types of demands / responses that the DRC (in good working order) or Coilovers properly adjusted can attain. Why pay the money for a RS6 then degrade the suspension to one less capable? There are probably 20% of the forum members here with aftermarket coilovers and I don't think that any others I have heard on the list say they would go back to the DRC or want a lower grade suspension? There have been some complaints with certain brands, and some of those can be attributed to improper adjustment but most are satisifed or more than satisfied. All coilovers will settle and any good shop or mechanic installing as set should explain that to the customer. You adjust a little high then have the customer bring the car back in a month or so for a final adjustment, it is a fairly easy procedure to do, just threaded collars but it takes a little time as you may have to go all around the car a couple of times as once you raise one corner, the weight balance will change and you may have to go back to the other corner you did before and so on. All spring manufacturers list the settling issue, maybe there are some out there that pre-settle there springs on a spring dyno, I know of some raceshops that do it.
    Honestly I would expect those that already spent a bunch of money on coil overs to respond as you have. What I am trying to elude, is that coil overs are not the only alternative to DRC, still do not do what DRC does, and usually if not always,severly degrade the way the car rides. Bilstein Struts and H&R bars are hardly a downgrade to the cheaply made DRC components anyway. In fact, they are a significant upgrade.Please keep in mind that this is what I do for a living, so this isn't my first time around the block. Still, I am guilty of buying into the KW hype initially, but I assure you, there are other , perhaps better alternatives.. I am only trying to help.

Rick

If DRC was reliable I would have stayed with it, without a doubt. We are now on v3 DRC and it still breaks!

Over hear most fit Bilstein PSS9's or H&R, there are a few with KWv3's also. Recently some have fitted the FK Koni kit as there are a lot cheaper! However I don't know anyone who has been using them long team and how they hold up with the 2 ton beast constantly battering them.

Like brakes and tyres on the 6, I would not skimp on the suspension....
    RS6 Avant, Miltek Res, ITG's, APR R1's, PSS 9's, H&R Sway Bars and Wangers intercoolers in the post.....

I do not want to pollute this thread with unnecessary questions, but I see different names come along in random order: like struts, coil-overs and bars. And as I am not a native speaking English/US-man, it starts to dazzle me.

As far as I know/understand "coil-over" is a shockabsorber together with a coil and as far as I understand from this forum, you "guys" call shockabsorbers also STRUTS right?
    So in my opinion that would make a KW v3 set also a coil-over but it has more options on the "strut" for further adjustment.
    But Bilsteins and HR are then also coil-overs and then I come to the conclusion that there is only one kind of alternative for the DRC:
    new set of coil-overs of whichever brand as you will always have to have a shock absorber and a coil.....

Please en light me or tell me to shut up

You are correct Micdee. Are cars actually have Mcpherson struts in the front & shocks with coils in the rear. It has almost become and industry standard to call "Coilovers" the same as we have but in respect to fully adjustable ones as far as ride height. "Coilovers" can be Shock/Shock or Strut/Shock with adjustable spring perches, usually adjusted by threaded collars (one of the strongest designs), or by separated knotches for height on the piston rod shaft. So, H&R, Bilstein, KWV3's, and Stasis (Ohlin's) are all Strut (front)/Shock (rear) designs with adjustable spring perches, and in I think all of these cases, adjustable for bounce, rebound, etc...
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Honestly I would expect those that already spent a bunch of money on coil overs to respond as you have. ....Rick
    Actually- I did not pay one dime for the Kws. AoA paid for them and the install.... I stand by they have been a great solution and quality product for myself. There are a variety of systems out there obviously for individual's wants and needs. It is great you have presented another option for those in the process to give consideration, and is part of what makes this forum valuable.

I gotta go hop on the hay wagon for dinner....
    210K miles rolled

They had already done the DRC upgrade and wouldn't pay for mine.