Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raced an R8 Yesterday

Raced an R8 Yesterday

For those curios, we made 5-6 runs from a stand still, in every case I immediately jumped a car ahead but he took off while he was still in first gear to go 2-3 car lengths ahead but never gained more than that. In fact if we had more room I think I could have made up some ground. Not bad for a 4000lb+, 7 year old saloon.

We tried leaving it in automatic and also tried the paddles - same results.

As a comparison my 08' M3 would take him every time from a rolling start (5-10mph) and stay 2-3 cars ahead of him while stretching the lead until we ran out of room.

I plan to do some performance upgrades in December and we will try again to see what happens. Perhaps I can get it on video next time. Stay tuned...
    03 RS6 DG Eurocharged

Interesting, if video is possible the nest time it would be very appreciated!

Was the R8 a tip or 6speed?

How did you launch your car?

His car is tip. I had left foot on brake right foot on gas rev'd to about 4k and let it go
    03 RS6 DG Eurocharged

Ahhh,

Your car is much faster with a different launch technique. Your trans may last longer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RS6VA View Post
    His car is tip. I had left foot on brake right foot on gas rev'd to about 4k and let it go

Please advsie. I know very little about this car, just sorting things out.
    03 RS6 DG Eurocharged

Not a fair comparison between the 6 and the M3. From stand still, your M3 would've been smoked. A rolling start, and the 6 would've smoked the R8. JMHO
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

Potentially...unless I got a perfect launch with minimal wheelspin in the M. With the right launch the M3 was very quick and would certainly be quicker than the 6. I had a 6 speed so shifts had to be right on as well. Dont under estimate the M, it could have used some more torque but once it spun up to 5 grand it really took off.

Also, the RS6 from a rolling start, say 10-15mph will 100% not take the R8, at best maybe hang evenly. If the R8 is in its powerband it comes on strong.

I am having fun finding out so stay tuned to the next round. I also have a neighbor with a 599, another with an e63 and another buddy with a diablo VT roadster. I would like to get before and after upgrade runs. I hope to get all of them on video for everyones enjoyment.

On a side note, the R8's transmission seemed to be having an issue on a couple runs. On one run it did not engage in gear and on another it would take a second to engage. When everything worked, it hit the gears hard and jumped out ahead.
    Last edited by RS6VA; November 30th, 2009 at 00:35. Reason: grammar
    03 RS6 DG Eurocharged

i read this as the M3 was faster than the R8? i can't understand how- unless the M3 was DCT and the R-tronic in the R8 was having problems.

i've raced many new M3's and none of them ever kept up. at best they were half a car length behind me regardless of speed. i have a manual R8.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

That is correct, I beat him everytime from a rolling start. I never got a good launch from a stand still to be close, too much wheelspin. The cars are evenly matched but I guess I was hitting my max torque quicker than him and would get the benefit.

We would start while I was in 1st gear, I would jump ahead and by the time I was in 2nd I was 2-3 cars ahead.

Honestly, I dont care too much other than bragging rights. All of these cars are very quick and a lot of fun. I
    03 RS6 DG Eurocharged

Honestly, I dont care too much other than bragging rights. All of these cars are very quick and a lot of fun. I
    fair enough.

Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Are you saying you power braked your RS6 till 4k? There is no way it would go that high, unless you had it modified or it is damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by p3u View Post
    Are you saying you power braked your RS6 till 4k? There is no way it would go that high, unless you had it modified or it is damaged.
    True, I've had mine at the dragstrip a few times, and tried various launch techniques. I can say for certain that it won't rev past 2000rpm while brake boosting.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

I can rev to 4000 and then drop in drive.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post

Hahahaha, your the last person on the planet to pull that one.

So, is neutral dropping what was going on here? Heck, I can rev mine to 7k and launch then!

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post

You lucky bastard, you have the optional launch control?
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

That's funny...........but if it true, see you in a couple weeks
    05 Cayenne turbo

Yep,

The special air shifted Lenco quattro.