Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TECH HELP NEEDED! (35K Service)

TECH HELP NEEDED! (35K Service)

Hello All,
    I just hit 35K and deadlined the RS6 for service. I got the Blauparts timing belt replacement Uber-kit and the tool loan and set to work. I pulled the bumper off, drained the radiator and pulled its hoses, and I'm ready to pull the whole radiator support forward to place it into service position and its not looking like it will work. I'm going off the Bentley manual and the Blauparts direction sheet, unfortunately both are written to cover A6/S6/RS6 with the note that RS6 owners may have more things to remove...kind of an understatement.

The things that look like they will give trouble are the oil cooler, the power steering cooler, and possibly the AC condenser. My question is what more needs to come off and are there any specific procedures for reconnecting these systems and refilling?

I'd take some pictures but my camera died the other day.

Thanks
    Semper Fi
    James

My Girls:
    03 Audi RS6 Daytona Gray/Black
    96 Porsche 993 Turbo
    86 Porsche 911 Turbo-look
    65 Mustang Fastback
    65 Mustang Convt
    00 F-150 Lightining

Here's the steps from ElsaWin for "Lock Carrior, Moving to Service Positions" Hope it helps, let me know if you need anything else from the ElsaWin manuals or procedures, I have version 3.60.

http://hydraulicpenis.com/manuals/lock_carrier.doc

Pay no attention to the domain name It's just a personal domain space, nothing naughty.

Thread worthless without pics

At the 35k service point. I dont know if I would change all the seals and water pump. Thermostat....ok yes.

But, all those items are covered under the Fidelity plan. Its only the timing belt that is not covered if its a normal maint interval.

Actually, I would not change all the items unless I noticed dry and cracked seals. Only timing belt and rollers.

At 75k, I would replaced the whole kit.

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...breplace0.html

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...ndremoval.html

Thanks

Joe,
    I love the ElsaWin manual, I've got to get my hands on one of those DVDs. I've tried the torrent route tonight but my skills on the interweb are not that polished.

Dave,
    I'll inspect the bearings when I get in and if they're dry, I'll leave them alone. I might as well replace the water pump while I'm in there, that's an easy swap. The S8 front end removal pictures help a lot. I was trying to move things to the sides to allow the support to slide forward, I'll try rotating the entire assembly forward. Sorry about the worthless post but like I said, my camera's image went distorted, apparently there's a recall on it.
    Semper Fi
    James

My Girls:
    03 Audi RS6 Daytona Gray/Black
    96 Porsche 993 Turbo
    86 Porsche 911 Turbo-look
    65 Mustang Fastback
    65 Mustang Convt
    00 F-150 Lightining

James,

Go ahead and change the rollers and tensioner. I just looked up the Audi schedule and those are noted for change. Its the seals I would not touch if not leaking and look good. That and the water pump I would not touch at 35k. But hey you have all the parts and I see your point.

Just wish you had pics. Borrow a camera. Its 2009 not 1899.

:eye:

Quote Originally Posted by Turboluvr View Post
    Joe,
    I love the ElsaWin manual, I've got to get my hands on one of those DVDs. I've tried the torrent route tonight but my skills on the interweb are not that polished.

Dave,
    I'll inspect the bearings when I get in and if they're dry, I'll leave them alone. I might as well replace the water pump while I'm in there, that's an easy swap. The S8 front end removal pictures help a lot. I was trying to move things to the sides to allow the support to slide forward, I'll try rotating the entire assembly forward. Sorry about the worthless post but like I said, my camera's image went distorted, apparently there's a recall on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Turboluvr View Post
    Joe,

Dave,
    I can't figure out haow to use the Elsa Win.. it's in German!

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    James,

Go ahead and change the rollers and tensioner. I just looked up the Audi schedule and those are noted for change. Its the seals I would not touch if not leaking and look good. That and the water pump I would not touch at 35k. But hey you have all the parts and I see your point.

Just wish you had pics. Borrow a camera. Its 2009 not 1899.

:eye:
    Patience Dave. I've been chatting with 4everRS and it looks like he's coming down to my place towards the end of Dec. and we'll be doing his timing belt. With two people, we'll be able to do a full pictorial and write up. Mine will follow in late Jan. to early Feb.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

If English is installed, you can click on the 4th toolbar option, "Einstellungen", and click on the bottom option here, "Sprache", and you should be able to select English.

Just looking around at some of the guides available, i feel confident in doing most maintenance myself.

Ahhhh,

Finally, tell me when to book my flights.

With me in the market for a second RS6 and both coming due for the TB....35 and 75k. I got to get real good at changing that sucker.

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    Patience Dave. I've been chatting with 4everRS and it looks like he's coming down to my place towards the end of Dec. and we'll be doing his timing belt. With two people, we'll be able to do a full pictorial and write up. Mine will follow in late Jan. to early Feb.

Actually I liked the idea of coming out to Arizona better. But if you want to swing up to the tundra that works too, I'll pick up some extra beverages.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Or we do both....I will come up for the first one. Then you can fly down or bring yours down to do your belt in the warm AZ winter. Chilly mornings in the 40s but my shop is fully insulated, heated and A/C.

80 and sunny every day.

Hell, I can rangle up some paint work we can do in the shop. Some stripes need to be finished on my trailer, chips on the front of my Celica. It would be a blast.

Greg-too funny. You can come on down as well. Hell, we can line up 3 cars and do the TB all at the same time. Dont worry, I have the room and its all paved. Rear shop in the locked and fenced back yard. 6ft high fence. Its safe back there.

Actually I liked the idea of coming out to Arizona better. But if you want to swing up to the tundra that works too, I'll pick up some extra beverages.
    Last edited by DHall1; November 24th, 2009 at 17:40.

hmm, if you guys are headed down to arizona and don't mind someone coming through and dropping tools on people's feet, maybe I'll swing through, need to do a timing belt at some point myself!

35K TB changes are a scam, as is the prices the dealer charges to do the service. On a 4.2 A6, the TB interval is between 90K and 110K,

Turbo or not, there is no reason to change the belt and rollers that often. It's the same engine, aside from the turbos. A 2.7TT has the same interval as a natrally aspirated 2.8, 3.0, 3.2 Can anyone explain why the RS6 needs such frequent belt and roller changes? It really makes no sense to me, and I've been working on these cars for 20 years..

I hear ya but if Audi paid for the first change at 35k....there must be something to it. In some other markets the interval was 60k miles but for us....every 35k.

Its a toss up. I guess while in there...go ahead with rollers. But, many of us need to keep the Fidelity plan in effect. Thus, must follow the schedule.

That does not mean we have to use the dealer for the TB change. No way at 2k or even 1.5k. I will block out a weekend and do it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
    35K TB changes are a scam, as is the prices the dealer charges to do the service. On a 4.2 A6, the TB interval is between 90K and 110K,

Turbo or not, there is no reason to change the belt and rollers that often. It's the same engine, aside from the turbos. A 2.7TT has the same interval as a natrally aspirated 2.8, 3.0, 3.2 Can anyone explain why the RS6 needs such frequent belt and roller changes? It really makes no sense to me, and I've been working on these cars for 20 years..

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Or we do both....I will come up for the first one. Then you can fly down or bring yours down to do your belt in the warm AZ winter. Chilly mornings in the 40s but my shop is fully insulated, heated and A/C.

80 and sunny every day.

Hell, I can rangle up some paint work we can do in the shop. Some stripes need to be finished on my trailer, chips on the front of my Celica. It would be a blast.

Greg-too funny. You can come on down as well. Hell, we can line up 3 cars and do the TB all at the same time. Dont worry, I have the room and its all paved. Rear shop in the locked and fenced back yard. 6ft high fence. Its safe back there.
    Now you're talking. That would work, Feb is about the right time to get the hell out of MN. Lets keep this idea rolling. Three RS6 timing belts in a weekend, imagine all the G12 coolant running down the driveway into the street.

Well,

The coolant has to go a long wayyyyyy. See pic the driveway is about 100 yards long.

Here is a pic from last winter. See the trailer....I put the silver on the last time I was up at my buddies place in Oregon. Just need to put the black stripe around the rear section just like it sits on the motorhome. Just need an excuse to get out back and do it.

We can put stripes on Greg's car while he is sleeping.

Sounds like some fun.

Now you're talking. That would work, Feb is about the right time to get the hell out of MN. Lets keep this idea rolling. Three RS6 timing belts in a weekend, imagine all the G12 coolant running down the driveway into the street.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loaded up.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	8890  

Looks like I'll be a guinea pig for this one! I plan on ordering my t-belt kit in a month or so and heading over to Pat's to replace. I am sure many picts will be taken. I am a little jealous that I am not able to make the trip to AZ and do it. The heated seats will be on position 6 for me up in central MN!
    BTW, I previously posted a couple of fault codes on a different thread. Both have since gone away after I filled up with a 91/100 octane mix (about 70/30). Car seems to idle smoother also. I will post this on the appropriate thread as well.
    Last edited by 4everRS; November 24th, 2009 at 19:49.

I suppose a water pump and themostat would also be in order. Anything else?