Thread: Tire alternative to PS2s

Tire alternative to PS2s

Having gone thru too many PS2's too quickly at $350/each, went with the new Continental Extreme Contact DW with XL load rating about 800 miles back. $211/each from Tirerack. So far, so good; quiet on freeway, corner like the PS2s; we haven't had any rain here in NorCal yet to assess wet handling. Much longer wear rating as well, I'd like to get at least 20k miles out of a set of tires! Anyone else try these yet?

It looks like the Conti's come in 3rd at $211 each whereas the PS2 are rated #1. ut cost $290 each... so, if you wish to forego some handling for an extra savings of a few hundred, then its good.

I found a tire reseller that had the Michelins cheaper. I think they were around 300ea.

That said, these Conti tires look ok. Also, the Goodyears were 186 or so. Again not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by papadoc View Post
    Having gone thru too many PS2's too quickly at $350/each, went with the new Continental Extreme Contact DW with XL load rating about 800 miles back. $211/each from Tirerack. So far, so good; quiet on freeway, corner like the PS2s; we haven't had any rain here in NorCal yet to assess wet handling. Much longer wear rating as well, I'd like to get at least 20k miles out of a set of tires! Anyone else try these yet?

I've been very happy with my Sumitomo's. Definitely not as grippy as the PS2's but for a non-track car, plenty of capability. Roughly half the cost of the Michelins, quieter, slightly smoother over the bumps.

I thought about the Contis you bought

And I heard from some of the European contributors on this forum that they are a very good tire.

For a while, it seemed that there were rubbing issues with the Michellins, but eventually they got it solved with an Audi RS6 specific sidewall, if i recall correctly.

Until that was fixed, I was going to get the Continentals. I may yet in the future, if the tire wear on the Michelins is as bad as you say. For now, they are great, but with a lot of pavement noise.
    2003 RS6, Mugello/Silver, MTM Stage 1 ECM, and TCM mod, Abt 19 inch wheels for summer, stock 18s for winter, RS6+ Pedals INSTALLED! 2Bennett coilover system, 2Bennett front brakes; DRC gone!

bridgestones, depending on the size might be a slightly cheaper and still decent alternative. The Contis are good, also look into toyos, I had a set and I thought they were fine. Richard has sumitomos on his S6 and I can attest to their qualities.

OP - any more feedback/info on these new Contis now that you've had them a few more weeks? thx

I'm very happy with my Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's. They pretty much tie the Michelin's in the dry but beat them an all comers in the wet by a wide margin and they are listed as having a greater treadwear life than the Michelin's. Someone on this list who had them thought there was more road/tire noise but sounds about the same to be. Just turn up the sound on your new RNS-E Mp3's and forget about the tires.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Anyone have a feedback on Dunlop?? I've seen all new C6 RS6 coming from Factory with Dunlop. I was wondering whether they are better than PS2 or same level!!
    "Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"...... Enzo Ferrari

Well the Michelins aren't even a consideration for me at $350+ each, even the GYs are $272. I'm trying to keep it around $200/each and these Conti's are $220. I am willing to pay the extra $30-40 per tire vs. the under $200 tires - Kumho, General, Hankook, etc., but the GYs would be another $200+ more than the Contis for all 4. I currently have Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's but they are proving difficult to find a dealer/installer.

The GYs went up in price? Did you see my post above...they were just 186.

Damn

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow RS6 View Post
    Well the Michelins aren't even a consideration for me at $350+ each, even the GYs are $272. I'm trying to keep it around $200/each and these Conti's are $220. I am willing to pay the extra $30-40 per tire vs. the under $200 tires - Kumho, General, Hankook, etc., but the GYs would be another $200+ more than the Contis for all 4. I currently have Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's but they are proving difficult to find a dealer/installer.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    The GYs went up in price? Did you see my post above...they were just 186.

Damn
    $272 is what they currently are at on tirerack, is that where you were quoting from? If not, let me know where because $186 is a no-brainer!

This is the GY I was quoting

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....andard%20Model

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow RS6 View Post
    $272 is what they currently are at on tirerack, is that where you were quoting from? If not, let me know where because $186 is a no-brainer!

Oh sorry, forgot to mention that I have 19"s, so the all-season GYs would be these: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....andard%20Model

But that's ok, I've already ordered the Conti's: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....andard%20Model

$220 for a summer tire is pretty darn good, and tirerack has a warehouse in GA, so hopefully I will get them quickly! I have one tire that's dropping from 38 psi to 18 every night and I have to refill it daily. It's time anyway, all my tires are down to 1-2/32" depth.

Here is the retailer that beats TireRack

18s

Conti for 190
    http://www.treadepot.com/tire/15482010000.html

PS2s for 300
    http://www.treadepot.com/tire/M94795.html

Quote Originally Posted by papadoc View Post

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RS6-4dr911 View Post
    I've been very happy with my Sumitomo's. Definitely not as grippy as the PS2's but for a non-track car, plenty of capability. Roughly half the cost of the Michelins, quieter, slightly smoother over the bumps.
    One spirited drive under my belt, multiple wet days ( rain and mist ) 200+ miles on the highway...

I tend to agree.

I have track wheels/tires when more is needed.

S
    "You have first to experience what you want to express" (V. Van Gogh)

Ok, a few more weeks on the tires...

Driving today after some rain and now an unusually cold NorCal morning, I was thinking of updating this post. I have to say I don't really notice a great difference from the PS2s; the wet handling seems on par (had to push it a bit yesterday) and handling and road noise is still fine. I'll try to update as more miles add up on the tires, but so far, these seem to be a very acceptable alternative to the Michelins.