Thread: Torque converter failure. Need some advice please.

Torque converter failure. Need some advice please.

I need to replace my TC, as the car I just bought has a 17125 code, which means its kaput.

I will be doing the removal at my shop, so I am trying to see if I can save some time.

Here is my question. Has anyone been able to remove the trans without removing the engine as well? It may be more trouble than it's worth trying to do so, and I always try to beat the book, but it can bite you in the ass sometimes..

Also, as I wrote in my other post, Should I get an upgraded, stronger converter and valve body from IPT or Level 10?

Thank-you.

Rick

Rick,

Only from memory here as I have not done this job.

You can remove the trans only from the RS6. If any members could verify by calling their RS6 tech that would be best.

IPT for the valve body upgrade and TC.

Yes, the transmission can be removed with the engine in place, I watched the tech do it when I had my torque converter replaced. The engine has to be supported with a transverse bar and then you remove the engine cradle and lower the engine a few inches. Then you have to remove the downpipes and o2 sensors, and the right turbo to get access to all of the bell housing bolts. The tech said everything went smoothly, but it took almost an entire day to remove the turbo.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's