Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my RS6 Thursday, but I also got a bad suprise.

Got my RS6 Thursday, but I also got a bad suprise.

I went down to NYC the other day to pick up the car. I ended up getting the 44,000 Ebony Pearl with White leather and CF trim. The car had may aftermarket options,and I paid 27K.

So I was happily driving home to Albany NY. The front tires were smoked, and making noise, but overall the car was running great.

On the way home, I noticed that the car was reving higher at 80 MPH than it was when I started the trip, and then, the CEL came on. I knew what is was, just by the symptoms and higher revs.

When I got to my shop, I hooked the VAG to the car, and pulled a 17125 (Torque converter code). That really sucked, because I knew what that entailed, and I had no warranty, since the extended warranty has a grace period.

So I call the guy I bought it from, who claimed he had never had a problem with it. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. I just don't know. But he did agree to give me 2,000 dollars toward the repair, which was better than him saying to piss off, which he could have.

Anyway, now, I am trying to figure out where I should get the converter from, and whether or not I should have the valve body reworked as well, since I hear that they also cause the converter to slip. I called IPT and Level 10. Total cost from either is about 1200 dollars for both the TC and valve body modification.I will be doing the labor at my shop.

Does anyone have any experiance with either, and if so, Who do you think is my best shot?

Thanks, Rick

Rick,

Sorry to hear about the problems but does the car look as clean in person as the ad?

Very fair of the owner to pitch in. Now your down to 25k on a low mileage RS6.

As for trans. I have had work from Level10 many years ago but there are several stories of problems of late.

I would opt for IPT and you have the best plan of TC+valve body. Tell us more about the IPT TC as you get additional information. The prices look good if thats for both units. 1200?

Good luck, I hope you love the car.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Rick,

Sorry to hear about the problems but does the car look as clean in person as the ad?

As for trans. I have had work from Level10 many years ago but there are several stories of problems of late.

I would opt for IPT and you have the best plan of TC+valve body. Tell us more about the IPT TC as you get additional information. The prices look good if thats for both units. 1200?

Yea around 1200. I get a small discount as I am a repair shop.

I may be down to 25, but I need close to 2K in parts now, and the labor is a killer. Even though we do our own labor, I still have to pay my tech to work on my own car, while losing money not working on customers cars. What can you do? I am trying to figure out if I can remove the trans without removing the engine. Level 10 says that's how they do it.... And yes, the car is very very clean. Like new inside and out. Some repainted panels, but well done. Nothing bad enough were it was reported to insurance.

Well just get er done at this point. Glad the car has the condition that will make you smile for years to come.

Just remember there are folks on this board that paid 2x the amount you paid for that car just a couple of years ago.

That should make you smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Innovator View Post

I may be down to 25, but I need close to 2K in parts now, and the labor is a killer. Even though we do our own labor, I still have to pay my tech to work on my own car, while losing money not working on customers cars. What can you do? I am trying to figure out if I can remove the trans without removing the engine. Level 10 says that's how they do it.... And yes, the car is very very clean. Like new inside and out. Some repainted panels, but well done. Nothing bad enough were it was reported to insurance.

Well just get er done at this point. Glad the car has the condition that will make you smile for years to come.

Just remember there are folks on this board that paid 2x the amount you paid for that car just a couple of years ago.

That should make you smile.
    I smiled when I punched it, and realized that is too fast already without the chip! Got a question.. If I get the valve body done, do I also need to get then TCU chipped if I chip the engine?

The valve body will do just fine without a trans chip.

I smiled when I punched it, and realized that is too fast already without the chip! Got a question.. If I get the valve body done, do I also need to get then TCU chipped if I chip the engine?

My tranny is currently at IPT for a total rebuild and tc. So far it has gone well and IPT expects to ship it out Monday. It has taken some time for the entire repair process (research, pull tranny, ship, etc.)- and trust the wait and effort will be worth it.

Good luck with your repair

That sucks! Very cool that the owner is pitching in 2k though. I am now nervous about mine which I expect to arrive in a week or so. I paid about 24k but with 73k miles. Was the service history clean on yours? If the TC is the only issue, it sounds like you got a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    That sucks! Very cool that the owner is pitching in 2k though. I am now nervous about mine which I expect to arrive in a week or so. I paid about 24k but with 73k miles. Was the service history clean on yours? If the TC is the only issue, it sounds like you got a good deal.
    I just took the engine/trans assembly out this morning.

While I could have taken the trans out alone, I don't think I'd be able to do as good a job putting it back together with the engine still in the car. It only took me a little longer to pull the whole assembly, and I know all the wires and bolts will be secured properly without fighting with it . Sometimes when you take a short cut, it can take more time in the end. Also, having never taken one of these trans out before, it's easier to pull the whole thing the first time out.

Total time to remove assembly, 5 hours. Now I still have to seperate the trans from the engine, but that's no biggie at this point. With any luck, I'll have this baby back on the road late next week, as long as IPT comes through for me in a timely fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    Well, if you buy this car, it seems prudent to have 10K in reserve for repairs. Take this TC issue I have. If I didn't have my own shop, the dealer charges close to 5K! In essence, it's good practice for me to the powertrain out, as I'm pretty sure it wont be the last time

Rick,

It will be more like 1400 for the parts, after speaking with IPT. Level 10 was 1200.

I am having mine done as we speak, engine is going no where.

Innovator, would you mind doing a short write-up on how you did the engine/tranny removal? Did you remove the front end, radiator? Did you pull the whole driveline?, just undue the axles or pull them completely out? Thanks, MGH
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Curious, as I don't quite understand what IPT is doing. Are you buying a new torque converter and valve body and sending it to them, or are they sending you their torque converter and valve body?

Quote Originally Posted by AudiRS4ever View Post
    Curious, as I don't quite understand what IPT is doing. Are you buying a new torque converter and valve body and sending it to them, or are they sending you their torque converter and valve body?

I am sending them the TC and the valve body. Actually, to save time, I'm driving down to them...

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Innovator, would you mind doing a short write-up on how you did the engine/tranny removal? Did you remove the front end, radiator? Did you pull the whole driveline?, just undue the axles or pull them completely out? Thanks, MGH
    We pulled it the same way we do the 2.7 TT in A4 and A6's.

Except, we did not need to take the nose off, due to the fact that all of the hoses detach with threaded connectors that are located directly under the belly pan, and there is no belt driven fan.

So the axles come out completely, the lower control arms are detached from the spindles, exhaust and driveshaft removed.

Fluids drained, hoses all detached, wiring harnesses disconnected. I removed the trans pan and valve body because it would be more difficult to do it with the assembly on the table.

I lowered the car down on the table so the subframe was directly above it and all sub frame bolts were accessible, removed the bolts, raised the car slowly, and the engine and tranny came out with some rearward guidance.

Yes, I am leaving a few things out, but it was relatively straight forward.

We saw that we could get the trans out without the engine(with many swivels and extensions(and scraped knuckles), but I honestly don't think it would have been worth the struggle. It would be very difficult to get everything back together perfectly torqued , route all the wires and such in their holders, etc, etc.. I'm sure if you've done it a few times you'd learn some tricks, but I don't want to learn from my mistakes with what this baby costs to repair ...

Honestly, taking the sub frame down was not that big of a deal. Then again, this is what we do for a living..

I'm only a hobiest but I do have a lift in my shop, 6 cars (2 track) & 1 truck which can keep my busy. I can pull the engine/tranny in my 911 in about 1.5 hours but that has to be one of the easiest cars in the world to work on. I'll attempt the RS6 myself when it comes time. Thanks again for the info. MGH
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I'm only a hobiest but I do have a lift in my shop, 6 cars (2 track) & 1 truck which can keep my busy. I can pull the engine/tranny in my 911 in about 1.5 hours but that has to be one of the easiest cars in the world to work on. I'll attempt the RS6 myself when it comes time. Thanks again for the info. MGH
    You will need a metal table on wheels that can handle 1000 lbs+