Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is 30,000 miles worth 5 grand?

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    To compare

If you buy the 44k car. (Black one on ebay has never been driven in the snow/salt which is rare for a east coast car) That fact alone will put me in the 44k car every day of the week.
    If I may ask, what is the problem of driving in snow/salt? Mine has had "salt baths" now for 4 years, no rost and the paint is not faded. The only problem is the Swedish idiocy of sometimes laying out gravel on a 50mph road. Usually means 1 windshield per winter... And some marks on the front in the paint.

So in my view the salt/snow is not a problem, its the other particles that fly there amidst. And those we have no matter where...

Salt is corrosive and it causes aluminum to seize to steel,steel to rust, and overall is very bad for the cars paint and underbody. Therefore, even though it does not seem to have any badd effects on the surface, it surely will cause the car to have issues associated with corrosion underneath.

Additionally, the sand and gravel used in the USA chipped the hell out of the cars bumper, hood and behind the fender wells.A car that is not driven in the winter typically will be in better physical condition than one that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
    Salt is corrosive and it causes aluminum to seize to steel,steel to rust, and overall is very bad for the cars paint and underbody. Therefore, even though it does not seem to have any badd effects on the surface, it surely will cause the car to have issues associated with corrosion underneath.

Additionally, the sand and gravel used in the USA chipped the hell out of the cars bumper, hood and behind the fender wells.A car that is not driven in the winter typically will be in better physical condition than one that is.
    ALSO.... search for the intercooler DIY so you too can see the lovely photos.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Audi does a very good job of properly coating all panels of the vehicle top and bottom. However, salt and the corrosive nature of the chemical against metal will always be at work in every corner of the car. Nuts, bolts, exhaust, underbody, brackets, brake pins and any chips in the paint will start to break thru the paint and get under the paint.

Again, Audi does a good job at coating the vehicle. I dont live or drive in a salt climate and thus if given the choice of salt history or not.....I will always choose not.

pics of my 6yr old undercarriage

Quote Originally Posted by portos View Post
    If I may ask, what is the problem of driving in snow/salt? Mine has had "salt baths" now for 4 years, no rost and the paint is not faded. The only problem is the Swedish idiocy of sometimes laying out gravel on a 50mph road. Usually means 1 windshield per winter... And some marks on the front in the paint.

So in my view the salt/snow is not a problem, its the other particles that fly there amidst. And those we have no matter where...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rearunder1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	8819   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frontunder1.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	8820  

Soo,

Just picked up the car tonight, and on the way home, the CEL came on. Checked it with my VAG, and it's a 17125 torque converter code.

I gotta think this guy knew about it and reset the ecu before I picked it up.

I guess this answers my original question.

I am sorry to hear that. I just had my torque converter replaced because of that code. I am glad my warranty was still in place. I am sure that is expensive. Fortunately you have your own shop and can take care of the labor.

The light in my car would go out and come back on based on drive cycles. They tride to get by replacing some valve first, not luck. It came back after a few days.
    2003 Dayton with Silver, REVO and Hot Bars, APR Catback
    Plano Texas

OK. Having seen those, I can understand what you are saying. Those look like brand new parts. Have you ever even driven that on a gravel road and/or on a rainy day?

Mine had the first frost on it today. Love the winter, but owning the RS is a bit scary, since one is not allowed to install a additional engine heater...

But I am getting off topic here, so signing out now!

. . .

You need help or a real job. And yes, I'm just jealous.

Uhhh, no gravel roads in this life.

All you need is a weekend and some elbow grease. My car has 30k on it but always in a dry climate. It was very easy to clean the underside. Then its once a year to keep it up....not too bad.

My wifes E55AMG has 60k on it and looks just as good. Again its from a dry climate with warm temps. The coatings and materials that Audi and Benz use are top quality. It only takes a weekend to shine up the underside.

Happy cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by portos View Post
    OK. Having seen those, I can understand what you are saying. Those look like brand new parts. Have you ever even driven that on a gravel road and/or on a rainy day?

Mine had the first frost on it today. Love the winter, but owning the RS is a bit scary, since one is not allowed to install a additional engine heater...

But I am getting off topic here, so signing out now!