Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is 30,000 miles worth 5 grand?

Is 30,000 miles worth 5 grand?

Guys, I have a deposit on a Daytona Gray RS6 with 72K on the clock. $23,000 even, but it does need tires. I plan on doing the TB myself, as I work on Audis at my shop.

Thing is, I found another car nearby with 44K in black with a white interior and CF trim. He wants around 28,000. Is it worth the extra 5 grand to buy a car with 30K less miles?

I hate these choices!

Yes

IMHO 100% yes

That is not to say 23k is not a bad deal for the car your looking at if in good cond. Just have $$ set aside for potentials. Trans being first.

Quote Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
    Guys, I have a deposit on a Daytona Gray RS6 with 72K on the clock. $23,000 even, but it does need tires. I plan on doing the TB myself, as I work on Audis at my shop.

Thing is, I found another car nearby with 44K in black with a white interior and CF trim. He wants around 28,000. Is it worth the extra 5 grand to buy a car with 30K less miles?

I hate these choices!

Would that gray one you're looking at perhaps be in Brookfield WI? and the other be in Minneapolis? I'm in the same situation as you but I don't have any money down on one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Yes

IMHO 100% yes

That is not to say 23k is not a bad deal for the car your looking at if in good cond. Just have $$ set aside for potentials. Trans being first.
    What does a rebuilt trans usually go for? I can handle all labor..

Aside from that, wouldn't you agree that miles are subjective to how they were derived? I mean, say 40K hard miles in the city stop and go, versus 72 highway miles driven by a woman....

Quote Originally Posted by shoeboxjoe View Post
    Would that gray one you're looking at perhaps be in Brookfield WI? and the other be in Minneapolis? I'm in the same situation as you but I don't have any money down on one yet.
    No. I am in NY.

I guess you're passing on the yellow? I never heard back from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow RS6 View Post
    I guess you're passing on the yellow? I never heard back from you.
    Between the drive and the uncertainty about liking the color, I'm afraid so.

While the yellow is rare and nice to look at, I don't know if I'd want the attention it would surely demand.

All things being equal IMHO- Yes- Extended warranty options may also be better.

Obviously, it would also depend upon the condition and how maintained by the previous owners- i.e the higher mileage one may actually be in better condition than the lower mileage one. Your skill sets provide you the luxury of making this comparison yourself.

My tranny is currently at IPT being rebuilt. Torque converter and rebuild is approx $5k.

Good luck with the hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post

Obviously, it would also depend upon the condition and how maintained by the previous owners- i.e the higher mileage one may actually be in better condition than the lower mileage one. Your skill sets provide you the luxury of making this comparison yourself.

My tranny is currently at IPT being rebuilt. Torque converter and rebuild is approx $5k.

Good luck with the hunt!
    My logic is with the 5k, I can buy the extended warranty, new tires, and do the timing belt.

My logic is with the 5k, I can buy the extended warranty, new tires, and do the timing belt.
    I agree with you. And since you can work on it yourself a lot of the simple stuff will not be as bad for you. As i am sitting with a higher mileage car now at 78K it is in excellent condition and has nearly all new parts. Not much left to wear out or break and regardless major failures on this car seem to occur independent of mileage or abuse (trans and torque converter can go at anytime and have in cars with 11K on them to mine at 30K and 70K). I would save the $$ and buy the cleanest car. For instance if the lower mileage car has not had them go yet all of its control arms, links, stabilizer bar are about to go (this car eats bushings), boots will go, timing belt still an issue due to time depending on when first belt change was done...on and on.

If you buy the one for 28K you will still get the depreciation hit once you buy it and drive it. These cars otherwise i think are finally hitting the bottom around 20 to 23 regardless of mileage as its still top notch over an S4 in the mid teens.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

If the Bla/whi 44k car is the one on ebay.....that car looks fantastic.

If your 72k car is that clean then its a toss up.

Its your call but how long will it take to hit 100k in your driving habits? 72k will get there much faster.

good luck

I hate these choices!

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    If the Bla/whi 44k car is the one on ebay.....that car looks fantastic.

If your 72k car is that clean then its a toss up.

Its your call but how long will it take to hit 100k in your driving habits? 72k will get there much faster.

good luck
    Well, probably 10K a year for me. The warranty I sell covers the car for 4 years, unlimited miles, up to 3000 dollars per occurrence, up to the value of the car at the time of purchase. The warranty cost me under 2k

That's 17 cents a mile for depreciation which based on your 10000 per year costs you $1,700 for three years. At the end of three years you now have the same car as the other one you are looking at. Depends how long you want to drive this car.....

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    +1, I'm with Dhall on this one.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Just for fun. The $5k you have to spend on the 72K mile car won't make it have 44K after the money is spent.

The lower mile car will still have a higher resale value.
    2003 Dayton with Silver, REVO and Hot Bars, APR Catback
    Plano Texas

To compare

If you buy the 44k car. (Black one on ebay has never been driven in the snow/salt which is rare for a east coast car) That fact alone will put me in the 44k car every day of the week.

You could buy a Audi/Fidelity plan 4/48 for 3200. Have no limit on repairs, fully transferable and fully refundable at any time.

Trans cost 5k for parts....off top of my head.

Well, probably 10K a year for me. The warranty I sell covers the car for 4 years, unlimited miles, up to 3000 dollars per occurrence, up to the value of the car at the time of purchase. The warranty cost me under 2k
    Last edited by DHall1; November 11th, 2009 at 19:16.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Texas RS6 View Post
    Just for fun. The $5k you have to spend on the 72K mile car won't make it have 44K after the money is spent.

The lower mile car will still have a higher resale value.
    Well, I went and looked at the 44K Ebony Pearl with Silver leather and CF trim. I's pretty damn clean. The owner said he had a couple of minor accidents that he didn't report. One he hit a parking stop in a parking lot, and the other when he backed up into a pole. Both were fixed at the dealer. In fact, he had the techs cell phone # that has worked on the car since new. He seemed pretty confident that the car was pristine.

The owner just had the 35K done, and just had the front rotors and pads, and rear pads, done as well as the DRC recall in August. It does need front tires, but my new snows are going on soon.

I pick it up tomorrow evening. Wish me luck.

Mech

Good choice. I think for the money bought the right car.

I am a Corvette mechanic by hobby. I think I will need to learn Audi now.
    2003 Dayton with Silver, REVO and Hot Bars, APR Catback
    Plano Texas