Thread: Transmission Service, here done this as routine preventative maintenance?

Hybrid View

Transmission Service, here done this as routine preventative maintenance?

My local indy shop recommends this service for my RS6 as I have some seepage around the gasket, and the likelihood that the oil is good for a "lifetime" is slim to none.

Has anyone else done "preventative" transmission service on their RS6? I think I'm doing mine within the next couple of weeks. 63,xxx miles on the car.

I had mine done at 60k miles when my torque converter was replaced. It's actually not an included operation with the TC replacement, so I had to pay out of pocket to have it done.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

I am going to perform the basic 4 quart drain and fill every 30k miles - with the power levels and the heat it seems prudent - even with a warranty !

Had it done by the dealer at 35K with the timing belt - I think they charged over $300!

That is a good idea. (The 4qt at a time) change with each oil change.

Just be sure to use the proper Audi fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by s42ski View Post
    I am going to perform the basic 4 quart drain and fill every 30k miles - with the power levels and the heat it seems prudent - even with a warranty !

Had it done by the dealer at 35K with the timing belt - I think they charged over $300!

Jason, I have changed my fluid at 35K and at 50K (w/filter). I used Redline D4 ATF w/no problems. The car actually seems to shift better, especially when cold. ZF recommends Esso LT 71141 which is suppose to be a semi-synthetic. It is probably what Audi/VW, BMW, Jaguar, and others that use a version of the 5HP24 transmission use re-bottled with their label.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Jason, I have changed my fluid at 35K and at 50K (w/filter). I used Redline D4 ATF w/no problems. The car actually seems to shift better..............
    +1. I did mine @ 25K with D4, immediately noticed smoother shifts. Filter and oil pan was full of sludge. After my trans upgrade, I may do a complete flush every two years along with brake fluid change.
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

Alright then, it's getting done soon!

Is your car chipped? I have the Revo ECU & MTM TCU and change my trans oil every year and my trans oil and filter every other year per Quisha's recs (he actually gave mileage recs, but this is how it works out for me). Maybe search TCU posts by Quisha?

Just did the transmission service with the help of hahnmgh63, thanks! Really not a difficult service, but a lift sure helped, and the special fill bottle too! At 64K miles, the pan was fairly sludge filled and the 4 magnets were completely thick with slime. Nothing out of the ordinary, just dirty. I'll probably do it again at 90 or 100K, which should be in a year given how much I've been driving. Thanks again for the help Mark, and let me know if you need a hand with any of your cars, I owe you one!

Jason
    Last edited by Avus-RS6; November 4th, 2009 at 06:31. Reason: typed hahnmgh63 wrong

One more thing, your white RS6 the hottest RS I've seen, especially with the KW's... these cars look so good in white it's unbeleivable!

How about a writeup of trans fluid change?

DIY a new thread.

Please

I agree a DIY would be great. Since I was more the grunt labor, hopefully hahnmgh63 would be willing to do the writeup. I could do it again on memory, but my techincal knowlege of the procedure is sketchy. It's very easy, like changing oil (a little more techincal, but not much)

It's pretty much identical to this:

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...servicing.html