Page 24 of 57 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: The Audi RS5 will debut at Geneva 2010

I read the review in EVO yesterday. I hope they change their perception of the RS5 as time goes by. They preferred the S4 over the RS5.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Nice....

I remember myself recently stating that I like Chris Harris because he always seems objective and not shy to say what he really thinks…

If I apply this statement to his RS5 review then I start being concerned big time ! Not that the overall statement is bad but few statements are quite negative and make me wonder :

Intermediate ratios too long (not a big deal per se but disappointing to me and one could feel it on the various Spanish track vids. I would have preferred shorter and more hard core intermediates)

Must be worked very hard to produce performance (logic on one hand as high rev V8 but I understand what he means remembering my RS4)

A BMW M3 is sharper, faster !!!, FAR more interactive, …. (difference seems quite a gap)

A touch disappointed with this car, it’s nothing as characterfull as the last RS4 !!!! (very disappointing as I finally got disappointed with the RS4)

It lacks roll-on performance (as feared…)

Well I don’t want to cry but all this doesn’t sound great at all and confirms what my fears were/are with this RS5. On the other hand other reviews are very positive but Chris is quite a reference…

All in all a final personal judgment during an extended test drive (I hope soon) will lead to my final decision.

What is for shure (as I already wrote) I will wait few month after first deliveries in order to really have plenty of real life feel and feedback about this RS5 before to move.

Any other reactions ? Am I too pessimistic ? I hope, really I hope…

As I have said in the M3 competition thread I dont think many people will be buying an RS5 based on track performance but what Evo has picked up on appears to be regarding drivability with gears.
    I personally will be buying on how the thing drives on every day roads, im not interested if its quicker than an M3 or slower than a c4s as long as the power delivery is pretty liniear and as good as or there abouts compared to previous cars I have owned.
    The deal breaker for me may be around price. Recently I could have had £9k off of an unregistered M3 edition, the car had edc and all the tech I would want, list was £62k and I could of had it for £53k. A RS5 with the main options looks as though its going to come in at around £65k and if no discounts are to be had then the prospect of an M3 and an extra £12k in my pocket is quite appealing!!

The RS5 is a big disappointment, heavy and underpowered (especially a lack of torque). It should have been introduced with a turbo/supercharged engine, not an old NA. I had planned this as my new car, but now I am looking for something else. It is mainly due to its s-tronic that it is faster from 0-100 km/h than the RS4, and it will be thoroughly beaten when the next M3 and M6 arrives (both with forced induction).

car mags focus on performance and entertainment. no car on the planet is as underappreciated as an Audi. or taken for as granted. these cars are so well designed, so thoughtful, so subtle, so good that it almost feels like a foregone conclusion. i have a B7 A4 3.2 that is 5 years old and the interior still feels brand new and rock solid. and the execution and fit and materials so superb that people still remark about it when they get in for the first time- as though it were a brand new car. witness the B8- which has gone a bit cheaper and plasticky- in a couple of generations of cars when Audi says "screw it" we'll bitch and not know why....

the RS5 is quintessential Audi- no other competitor is executed the same way.

Audi- please keep doing what you are doing. some of us don't take it for granted.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    car mags focus on performance and entertainment. no car on the planet is as underappreciated as an Audi. or taken for as granted. these cars are so well designed, so thoughtful, so subtle, so good that it almost feels like a foregone conclusion. i have a B7 A4 3.2 that is 5 years old and the interior still feels brand new and rock solid. and the execution and fit and materials so superb that people still remark about it when they get in for the first time- as though it were a brand new car. witness the B8- which has gone a bit cheaper and plasticky- in a couple of generations of cars when Audi says "screw it" we'll bitch and not know why....

the RS5 is quintessential Audi- no other competitor is executed the same way.

Audi- please keep doing what you are doing. some of us don't take it for granted.
    Not sure about the taking for granted bit, sounds a bit ott to me.
    I think it would be a very narrow minded and blinkered person who discounted the RS5 because a couple of journalists made some negative comments.
    Most level headed people take a car for a test drive and make their own minds up.
    Its similar to people suggesting that an RS5 will out perform an M3. No one knows yet!

A few more photos of the RS5 in Daytona Grey:

http://www.audiblog.nl/?p=32484

Thanks ! Nice pictures.

Any in phamtom black ?

Very nice thanks. Funny how black pacakge completely changes the car. Much more agressive with black package IMO. I like the RS5 in White/Suzuka. Would not go for it but nice combo.

I also like how the rear spoiler fits the car which is quite low "seated" on the ground that's good.

Is this one new ? (white RS5 video)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sph2wt4S4rw

And one new picture of a red one :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16..jpg 
Views:	2131 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	9832

It seems... well done ! I like the white/black package combo (I know I repeat myself...). Show me Monza Grey/black package !!!!!!!!!!!

It looks much better without the aluminium pack, imo.

let's try to dynamise the topic a bit

I have 2 kids (2 1/2 years old twins). The RS5 will be my daily car for work and my week end car to go to the mountain, etc... For long trip, vacations or if more space needed my ML 500 is just perfect.

So I can be a bit less flexible with the RS5 i.e. I want to go for the bucket seats (I did not go for them on the RS4 and I think one should go for them in an RS). The only think is that for accessing rear seats it is not the best. Question : Are the sport seats better i.e. do they have a trick for easy rear access which really make life easier ?

I mean I am ready to loose a bit of functionality as they look stunning and are quite confortable as well (not cheap though).

Any feedback ?

In my Rs5 "extras" or "options" brochure is stated that the bucket seats do not have the "easy entry function" , so it could be a bit more uncomfortable to enter or exit the car, but for me is one of the sure options .
    In this brochure there is also the option to get the back of the bucket seats "painted with lacquer" a very expensive option , by the way .

And one thing about the magazine reviews , I am beginning to think that all is related to their very personal preference , not some sort of technical view .
    I am also seeing that some journalists drive the car with very low revs , and this is not the way to enjoy this kind of car .
    When you have eliminated the impossible , whatever remains , however improbable , must be the truth.
    ..Sherlock Holmes..