Page 43 of 57 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: The Audi RS5 will debut at Geneva 2010

Thanks for the review. The matt one... damn!

Interesting feedback Paulo thank you. Especially pros/contros...

No surprise regarding poor elasticity in higher gears but quite surprised about blocked downshifting ! At what rpm does the car allow the driver to manually downshift ? Have you identified that ? Does a kick down happen instead (downshifting without the steering paddles) ?

Thanks

Fab

Hi Fab,

No, I couldn't really tell at what revs this happens, because I had the car for a limited time and when I noticed this, there was some traffic that I had to pay attention to. But from what I understood, it will only let you downshift if the gear you want to put in stays in "safe" RPM, that is, out of the red zone. So if the engine management system thinks that by downshifting it will make the engine RPM's jump into the red line, it won't let you, because when it finally allowed it, the needle was just bellow the red line.

And no, no kick down. You really just have to keep braking to reduce the speed and then manually do it, because when you try to use the paddles, the system chances to manual mode for a few seconds until it switches to D again, and I couldn't see how long this takes.

Maybe there is a setting in the driver configuration that can eliminate this, I don't know. Or maybe you can ask at the dealer to do it. With computers anything is possible I guess

Paulo

Quote Originally Posted by Fab View Post
    Interesting feedback Paulo thank you. Especially pros/contros...

No surprise regarding poor elasticity in higher gears but quite surprised about blocked downshifting ! At what rpm does the car allow the driver to manually downshift ? Have you identified that ? Does a kick down happen instead (downshifting without the steering paddles) ?

Thanks

Fab

thanks again Paulo.

Cheers

this protection of not allowing to downgrade I've seen it when test drivign the car. but is very logical if not it would blow the engine.... as the rpm limitors is not goign to stop the engine from goign higher than 9000 rpm even for a short while if this protection would not be in place...
    Youry
    RS QUATTRO
    www.rsquattro.com

yes and no...

I don't clearly understand.
    At first glance such protection sounds logical. When one gear ends, next one would have maximum efficient revs. If you even could not switch to previous gear, because it would rev engine by redline, then you basically don't need to do it - because you already are at maximum (possible for this gearbox) efficient revs. Nowadays even with the manual garbox you couldn't switch for example 1st gear at 160km/h speed.

Another point is if this gearbox have a big gap between 5th and 6th gear ratios. But looking at technical data makes me a bit

RATIOS

1. Gear 3,692
    2. Gear 2,238
    3. Gear 1,559
    4. Gear 1,175
    5. Gear 0,915
    6. Gear 0,745
    7. Gear 0,617
    final drive ratio 4,375
    GEAR-SPEED
    1. Gear - Shiftpoint 8.500 r/pm * 67 km/h
    2. Gear - Shiftpoint 8.500 r/pm * 110 km/h
    3. Gear - Shiftpoint 8.500 r/pm * 158 km/h
    4. Gear - Shiftpoint 8.500 r/pm * 210 km/h
    5. Gear - Shiftpoint 8.500 r/pm * 269 km/h (Speedlimiter for "no 280 km/h option" cars, 250 + 8%)
    6. Gear - Shiftpoint 8.500 r/pm * 331 km/h (theoretical, "280 km/h option" Topspeed ~294 km/h)
    7. Gear - Shiftpoint 8.500 r/pm * 399 km/h

So it means, logically thinking, that in fact you have to go about 250km/h in 6th, to switch to redline in 5th. And if you cannot downshift in lesser speeds - it is EPIC FAIL

Well, I can't argue tech stuff because that's not my field...

I just driven them (cars, bikes, boats,...) but I don't think that occasionally going deep inside the red line would blow an engine... I do it all the time on track with my bike, I even hit several times the electronic cut off at max revs and I never had any issues... when downshifting and braking really hard you really need engine braking...

Paulo

Quote Originally Posted by youry View Post
    this protection of not allowing to downgrade I've seen it when test drivign the car. but is very logical if not it would blow the engine.... as the rpm limitors is not goign to stop the engine from goign higher than 9000 rpm even for a short while if this protection would not be in place...

Quote Originally Posted by biker14 View Post
    Well, I can't argue tech stuff because that's not my field...

I just driven them (cars, bikes, boats,...) but I don't think that occasionally going deep inside the red line would blow an engine... I do it all the time on track with my bike, I even hit several times the electronic cut off at max revs and I never had any issues... when downshifting and braking really hard you really need engine braking...

Paulo
    While I can see your point I don't think we are talking about something that's main purpose was barreling around the track in maximum attack mode.
    Last edited by Joker; August 18th, 2010 at 12:35.

Look!! 280 km/hr (170+mph) and no hands.

I'm not planning on taking this car to the track, I have my bikes for that.

I was just replying to youry, that in my opinion a motor wouldn't blow up so easily just because of a few (very) high rpm's here and there...

Paulo

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    While I can see your point I don't think we are talking about something that's main purpose was barreling around the track in maximum attack mode.

well guys. AUdi is pising me off....

Just learned today that my scheduled delivery in October is pushed to January...
    Youry
    RS QUATTRO
    www.rsquattro.com

Quote Originally Posted by youry View Post
    well guys. AUdi is pising me off....

Just learned today that my scheduled delivery in October is pushed to January...
    Sorry to hear that Youry. Did they give a reason for the delay?

Very bad news indeed !!!! Any specific reasons : local market allocation, Audi exclusive, problems, ...?

Very frustrating as it has already been a looonnng wait to finally get the car alive.

Not a lot of options left for you I guess since you sign a contract. Can you (possibly) cancel it for such a long delay ?

Sorry to make it worse but at that time a new RS engine will not be far away from production I suspect...

the only thing is that its a provisional production date week 51 which would make it a delivery in january. no reasons for now.

when the car was ordred May 18th the lead-time was for September and because i have audi exclusive options it added 4 weeks so this is how october came to be my initial delivery month.

since this is more than 25% of planned lead-tim I can cancel with no cost for me. but that is not my intent i still want this car.... but it will impact costs for me. for exemple I reserved a special licence plate "RS-500" whihc cost me a little over 800 EUR. the reservation once paid is normally only for 3 months, si about a week ago I managed to extend it by another 3 month but was told no more extension. this means that I will have to pay another time to still get the same licence plate. I infirmed dealer about these costs and expect audi to pay for it or should i say at least reduce price for the added cost I will have.

I guess I will know more info in the coming weeks...
    Youry
    RS QUATTRO
    www.rsquattro.com

For shure they have to make a goodwill gesture for this.

I can imagine you current feeling (the usual 3 month wait is already a torture...)

exactly...
    Youry
    RS QUATTRO
    www.rsquattro.com

Anyway not much you can do....

Nice one the special plate RS-500. This is the ultimate touch. I personally also got a special one for my new baby ending ...911