Page 42 of 57 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: The Audi RS5 will debut at Geneva 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dc2 View Post
    How could possibly rs5 beat carrera S in slalom?? And at the same time got better lap time And btw, rs5 got 0-100 0,3 seconds faster then oficcial data - none of tests got even close to this. This comparison is...hm...not too true-to-life)
    this time we agree :-)

How could possibly rs5 beat carrera S in slalom?
    Audi RS cars have always had a really good value in slalom, better than other cars in the class.

Perhaps due to the AWD vs 911 2 WD?
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

How could possibly rs5 beat carrera S in slalom?? And at the same time got better lap time And btw, rs5 got 0-100 0,3 seconds faster then oficcial data - none of tests got even close to this. This comparison is...hm...not too true-to-life)
    If you check you will find that Porsche officially quote 4.5s (4.3s with sports+) for the Carrera S with PDK. Maybe on this occasion both cars performed better than expected by the tune of 0.3s.

To my ears the RS5 sounds much more aggressive. I wonder if this is due mainly to different exhaust tuning or changes to the engine itself?

1st place - BMW M3 DKG

[*]Engine: V8, 420 hp, 400 Nm[*]Gearbox: 7-speed-DKG[*]Tyres: Michelin Pilot Sport[*]Weight: 1617 kg[*]Vmax.: 280 km/h[*]0-100 km/h in 4,5 s[*]0-200 km/h in 16,1 s[*]Braking (100-0 km/h): 35,3 m/34,1 m (cold/warm)[*]18 m slalom (ESP ON): 69,9 km/h[*]110 m evasive test (ESP ON): 140,4 km/h[*]Basic price: €79.350,- (inc. Competiton Package and 280 km/h-Vmax.)

2nd place - Alpina B3 Biturbo

[*]Engine: Biturbo-i6, 400 hp, 540 Nm[*]Gearbox: 6-speed-automatic[*]Tyres: Michelin Pilot Sport[*]Weight: 1598 kg[*]Vmax.: 300 km/h[*]0-100 km/h in 4,8 s[*]0-200 km/h in 16,6 s[*]Braking (100-0 km/h): 35,8 m/37,7 m (cold/warm)[*]18 m slalom (ESP ON): 65,3 km/h[*]110 m evasive test (ESP ON): 136,1 km/h[*]Basic price: €66.450,- (inc. LSD, 19-inch-wheels)

3rd place - Audi RS5

[*]Engine: V8, 450 hp, 430 Nm[*]Gearbox: 7-speed-S-tronic (DSG)[*]Tyres: Pirelli P Zero[*]Weight: 1785 kg[*]Vmax.: 280 km/h[*]0-100 km/h in 4,7 s[*]0-200 km/h in 16,9 s[*]Braking (100-0 km/h): 34,9/35,3 m (cold/warm)[*]18 m slalom (ESP ON): 66,9 km/h[*]110 m evasive test (ESP ON): 138,0 km/h[*]Basic price: €87.600,- (inc. sportseats, LSD, sport-suspension, Dynamic-steering, 20-inch-wheels, 280 km/h-Vmax.)

4th place - Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance Package Plus

[*]Engine: V8, 487 hp, 600 Nm[*]Gearbox: 7-speed-automatic[*]Tyres: Yokohama Advan Sport[*]Weight: 1742 kg[*]Vmax.: 280 km/h[*]0-100 km/h in 4,5 s[*]0-200 km/h in 14,7 s[*]Braking (100-0 km/h): 36,4/36,1 m (cold/warm)[*]18 m slalom (ESP ON): 63,7 km/h[*]110 m evasive test (ESP ON): 135,6 km/h[*]Basic price: €83.425,- (inc. LSD, 19-inch-wheels, 280 km/h-Vmax.)

Hockenheimring-times (2,6 km)

[*]1.14,0 min - BMW M3 Competition P.
    [*]1.15,4 min - Audi RS5
    [*]1.15,6 min - Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG PPP
    [*]1.16,5 min - Alpina B3 Biturbo

Verdict

The way the M3's suspension mixes comfort and agility is "sensational". It's highrevving V8 and 7-speed-double cluth gearbox is perfect. Handling in TOP. First place for the BMW.
    Second place goes to the Alpina, the perfect Gran Turismo. The 3,0-litre, biturbo engine is very flexible, but the handling is not that sporty as the M3's.
    The Audi RS5 is the most expensive out of this quartet and despite its good ranking on the 'Dynamic-rating' it finished in 3rd place.
    Last place goes to the C63 AMG with 30-more-hp. It's kinda funny that Merc's suspension is the most uncomfortable out of this four... And despite it's so hard, the handling is not that good as it should be, the car is not well-balanced. The V8's power is brutal however. Best 0-200 km/h time.

You can note the 18 m slalom of 66,9 km/h with ESP on. The "impossible" speed from the test on last page was 67,6 km/h.

This is a more objective and realistic test both in terms of "dynamic and overall ranking" and chrono figures... The Audi remains the most expensive as clearly mentionned.

C63 : brutal engine and best chronos hooo yess ! I like that car. RS5 is doing well though, great car.
    Last edited by Fab; August 12th, 2010 at 21:00.

EriK, what magazine is that review from?

German AMS

Thanks Eric for the scan : 4 nice cars !

Here's more information on the Teknikens Värld lap times I mentioned on the last page, but this includes lap times from previous tests and years.

Ring Knutstrop (Conf 2), Sweden (2070 m)
    http://www.fastestlaps.com/track108.html

1. Lamborghini Gallardo LP 570-4 Superleggera 1:09.1 (new record)

3. Audi R8 V10 5.2 FSI 1:09.9

4. KTM X-Bow 1:09.9 (Audi engine )

12. Audi R8 V10 Spyder 1:11.7

17. Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder 1:12.7

21. Audi R8 1:13.5

24. Audi RS5 1:13.8

26. Audi RS4 (B7) 1:14.5

27. Audi RS6 Avant (C6) 1:14.7

30. Audi S5 1:15.3

32. BMW M3 (E92) DKG 1:15.6 (fastest BMW tested)

35. Mercedes C 63 AMG 1:15.7

This times are pure marketing! How could you believe in them yourself, if:

Audi R8 V10 has almost same time, that Gallardo LP-570 Superliggera has? Difference in time is same as between RS5 and RS4, which are almost the same vehicles. Do you know, that Superliggera is 50 ps more powerfull and has almost 300kg!!! less weight than R8 V10? It's damn ton of advantage! But the time is unbelievebly close

Ok. Let's pretend, that RS5 beaten M3 here (I'm going to order RS5, I'd like to believe that), but how could M3 be slower than S5?? I drove both cars - this is impossible. Take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHj0zbhjLZI
    Usual 335 on track goes close to S5 thanks to better handling and weight differencial. M3 hase even better handeling, 60hp more power than S5, and is really lighter - and it is slower on this track? Sorry, it's blsht.

This times are pure marketing! How could you believe in them yourself, if:
    Well the times could be from a different year, different situation, driver etc. but it's what an independent magazines posted, so it's not marketing for sure.

Also, different tracks are better suited for some vehicles.

EDIT: The M3 was actually a convertible.

Cars of same class are sued for same track types.
    For example, Honda S2000 or Lotus Elise could beat M3 or RS5 on curvy and tricky tracks without long straits, where german vehicles couldn't get any advantage of power.

But RS5, S5 and M3 are at the same ligue, only level of sportiveness changes from model to model. And there is only situation, when S5 could beat M3 e92, coupe or convertible on track - pure lie, marketing (which is basically good old pure lie) or incompetent driver. Any of this components makes posted list useless whaste of time. Independent media? Pfff, my work is closely related to independent media, and I know what I am talking about when I mention marketing. I am a big audi fan, but, that shouldn't make me naive - and u too shouldn't be.

Quote Originally Posted by hdtomi View Post
    Holy SH*T

Yes, please

Cool Test drive

Well, last week I was given a chance to do an extended test drive, from Thursday to Friday.

My previous cars were a BMW M3 E46 and a Porsche 996 Turbo, so that people know my previous driving experiences ( and now I drive a MCS JCW until I decide which car to buy next)

The car had more or less 900 kms, so didn't have any remorse of driving flat out after proper warm up

First, the things I liked:
    - the looks of the car ;
    - the interior;
    - the engine power and sound
    - good ( conventional) brakes;
    - very fast and smooth, cornering like he's on rails at high speed,
    - no strange reactions when braking in an emergency, even in high speed corners;
    - drives very easy, even at slow speeds;
    - The driver has a good perception of the outside dimension of the car, which helps with parking and manouvers in tight places ( like inside my garage)
    - Good enough back seat space for an average build adult ( 1,70 +/-, like me) so good enough for my two kids.
    - The BT connection with the car is very good, although a bit difficult to pair at first ( Windows Mobile phones seem to have this problem with Audi's, or so the salesman told me...) I can hear people very clearly and people can hear me well too. Plus the interface with the car system is easy enough to operate.
    - Not many people know what kind of car it is, so it is discrete. Only a few people looked and/or made some comment. Which is good.
    - Big trunk, which is always handy when you have two small kids.

Things I didn't like/ took more time getting used to:
    - speed recoveries until 4th gear are good, but from 5th gear up it takes the car some time to pick up the revs...
    - at high speed, you cannot downshift as you like, first you have to reduce the speed, and then reduce the gears. I experienced this when in 6th gear on a highway I wanted to change down to 4th and... nothing happened! I tried it again just to be sure and it happened again, so some kind of engine protection activates.
    - When you are driving at low speed and the car downshift's, the blimping of the throtle is a bit too agressive, even in confort mode. In dynamic, you kind of sound like a boy racer at the lights to the outside people... lol I had that on the M3 too, but the V8 is a bit more... loud!
    - the 4WD takes some getting used to, works different from the Turbo... but a friend of mine told me that's how Audi's work so...
    - it drinks gasoline like a truck! Jesus... no way you can reach the "official" consumption....
    - the sound system is a bit weak, or maybe my expectations were too high... lol
    - the MMI interface to someone using it for the first time is a bit difficult to operate sometimes.

It's a great car, no doubt, and I will probabaly place the order after some more price discussion...

I know that probably the M3 would be a more fun car to drive, from all the reviews I've seen so far... but how often in day to day driving can you really use that advantage? Not many I'm guessing. Besides, when I had to replace the M3's SMG gearbox out of warranty (10.000 €...), BMW had a good will of... 0 €... so... thanks for nothing...

Anyway, here are some pics. Sorry for the low quality..

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...5/IMAG0072.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...5/IMAG0068.jpg
    http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...5/P8120016.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...5/P8120017.jpg

I'll post the spec of my car, if anyone's interested when I place the final order

Paulo

Biker, great review and.......... HOLY SHYT........ I hate flat colors but that matt black is to die for!!!