Thread: Autoweek: Audi R8 V10 Vs Nissan GT-R

Autoweek: Audi R8 V10 Vs Nissan GT-R

Autoweek in the Netherlands has compared the Audi R8 V10 with Nissan's GT-R.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF7coG5rXEE

Quote Originally Posted by hooter76 View Post
    Autoweek in the Netherlands has compared the Audi R8 V10 with Nissan's GT-R.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF7coG5rXEE

So, who can offer a summation of the drivers' comments for those of us whose Norwegian is a bit rusty??

Quote Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T View Post
    So, who can offer a summation of the drivers' comments for those of us whose Norwegian is a bit rusty??
    norwegian wont do you that good anyway....but my dutch as they speak in the video on the other hand, is a bit rusty

Quote Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T View Post
    Haha!

Whoops. Sorry about that.

You know how we 'Murricans are - we get all them Yuro countries mixed up alla time!

;-)

R8 V10 needs the full 556 hp to be competitive. esp at high race speeds.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

How is it possible that the heavier and weaker GTR is faster than R8?
    5 Audis so far...currently:
    2007 Audi A4 B7 2.0 TDI Multitronic

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    R8 V10 needs the full 556 hp to be competitive. esp at high race speeds.
    Ok, we know that R8's engine is capable of delivering up to 600 hp, but 525 is also more than 480 in GTR. And don't forget about R8 is lighter and has better aerodynamics.
    5 Audis so far...currently:
    2007 Audi A4 B7 2.0 TDI Multitronic

Quote Originally Posted by Toto89 View Post
    Ok, we know that R8's engine is capable of delivering up to 600 hp, but 525 is also more than 480 in GTR. And don't forget about R8 is lighter and has better aerodynamics.
    torque and tranny. dsg keeps the car boosted per gear. no loss of momentum. like one gear from 0-whatever mph. there is a reason nissan doesnt make a true manual for that car.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Better aerodynamics? Definitely NO.

German Sport Auto is the only magazine in the world that measures aerodynamics as well in their Supertest.

Results:

Cw 0.36
    Cw x A: 0.729

Official Audi Cw claim is also 0.36

Nissan GT-R Cw is 0.28

Airflow can become power
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Although a better airflow allows the car to go faster straight, one could desire a more planted airflow that will press the car down, therefor increasing the wind resistance, but offering more stability where the road is not perfectly flat -like small bumps in the road that make you fly at high speeds; yes, for a second, but that second can make the car totally uncontrollable -> crash!

The R8 looks much better in my opinion. I got to loose interest in the extreme performance reviews, since I only raced a few times with my R8 V8 (in more than a year since I got it), it was fun but not that much. Maybe on a racetrack, where I only got ONCE.

Some say it's voodoo magic but I say it's Nissan under-rating GTR powerplants as they have done for at least 20 years, probably more.

Quote Originally Posted by Z07 View Post
    Some say it's voodoo magic but I say it's Nissan under-rating GTR powerplants as they have done for at least 20 years, probably more.

no magic. they've dynoed the gtr and it makes what it says. i think nissan actually preprogrammed the suspension/gearbox settings for the nurburgring before the runs. the tires were indeed stock also.

in the "others" forum there is a thread on the LF-A. hasn't beat the GTR yet either.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    no magic. they've dynoed the gtr and it makes what it says. i think nissan actually preprogrammed the suspension/gearbox settings for the nurburgring before the runs. the tires were indeed stock also.

in the "others" forum there is a thread on the LF-A. hasn't beat the GTR yet either.
    They? Who? I know a lot of dynos where it doesn't make anywhere near what it should. Like David Yu's in Evo which made 512hp stock. This is the same dyno they tested a V8 R8 on. This was the same R8 they used in the R8 vs RS6 test. It was one of the newer V8s and made 0-60mph in 4.1s and 0-100mph in 9.9s. It made 400hp on their dyno. So their dyno isn't exactly optimistic.

The only dyno that gave a sub-500hp reading for the GTR is that one that only measures rundown and therefore doesn't allow for on-load losses.

The GTR was tested on a MAHA dyno (know by its precision) by a italian magazine and it made 487hp.
    2.0 turbo FWD - less than 200hp
    2.0 NA - x- x- x- x- x- x - less than 150hp - - oh yes, I know
    1.8 Turbo AWD - less than 250hp
    2.7 Biturbo AWD - less than 620hp
    "N.A. cars are turbo cars with never ending lag..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kram View Post
    The GTR was tested on a MAHA dyno (know by its precision) by a italian magazine and it made 487hp.
    Yes and the MAHA dyno is one of those crappy dynos that measure losses on rundown and completely omit on-load losses.

We all know the GTR is a beast and even with it's heft and disadvantage in power, Nissan's transmission, launch control and torque figures explain why it can win over the R8. While i prefer the R8 well over the GTR, it is important to understand Nissan's objective for the GTR....A Track Monster.