Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of H&R springs...

Thinking of H&R springs...

to help shorten the life of my "new and improved" DRC. It still sits a tad higher than before and frankly it bugs the shit out of me.

Has anyone actually experienced a H&R lowered RS6? I got 55K miles out of my factory original DRC and it had not failed when replaced under recall. I'm thinking the new DRC can handle 1/2 that with lowering springs... ;-) that will give me a year of a nicely lowered RS6 while I decide which coilover to install (KW likely). Sounds like a good plan, right?!? ;-)

Seriously though, I just might do it. Wisdom says it will shorten DRC life... we'll see!

J

I think it will be difficult but not impossible to change the springs on the shocks with the DRC connections still hooked up? I don't know if they can be disconnected and re-connected without charging but there are some checkvalves in the system. Tru-line in Seattle quoted my $600 to install the H&R's at one time but they may not have really known about the RS6's DRC. Yes, I actually purchased a set of H&R's at one time but never installed them, sold them later on EBay for 1/2 price. It is decisions like that will help keep me poor, buy high, sell low.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I was thinking about doing the same thing, but most likely will just put KW's on the car next Spring if I still have it. If you do put H&R's on yours please take pictures and let us know your thoughts. I am still not sure I wouldn't rather just do that for now. Thanks!

I should keep my mouth shut since I'm not even a DRC owner anymore (thanks to KW) but since MTM doesn't list the lowering perches on their site has anyone contacted them to see if they are still available? What about Euro Audi as the RS6+ was advertised to sit I think 10mm lower?
    Roy, WA

MTM perches are $800+ through Hoppen, I called them a couple weeks ago. Cost/Benefit is poor for this product.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I should keep my mouth shut since I'm not even a DRC owner anymore (thanks to KW) but since MTM doesn't list the lowering perches on their site has anyone contacted them to see if they are still available? What about Euro Audi as the RS6+ was advertised to sit I think 10mm lower?
    I did try and contact MTM, but they never answer the phone, nor do they return phone calls when leaving a message. I'm done trying. Quite frankly I'm sick of always having to beg people to take my money, ie; Hoppin Motorsports, Stassis, Koni and many many other companies I have done business with in the past. That's one of the reason's I really enjoy Bilstein so much. They are always extremely nice and answer the phone. The jackass' like Stassis and Hoppin are probably wondering why they are having trouble with their business's and all they have to do is look at themselves and how they are operating. Sorry for the rant I just got a little pissed off as I thought about the 3 phone calls I put into Hoppin last week and never heard back once.

I got in touch with MTM after 2 tries. Stasis has been great to deal with, Jason, Jared(now gone) all very helpful and willing to take my money. I do understand your point however. Try Achtuning (they're local to me) or Stratmosphere. Both are very good to deal with and have many products for our cars.

Well... my local Audi dealer will install the springs, but they want 18 hours at $120 an hour to do so. I'm better off with KW's at that point. I guess I'll be sticking with DRC unless I can get a deal. :-/

KW Install

If you decide to do the KW' Jason let me know. This winter or late fall you can bring your car to my place and we can easily get them done in a day. It wil all be easier the second time around now that I've done mine. We need to meet up sometime so you can see how my car sits.
    P.S. I do have a lift in my shop which makes life much easier.
    Roy, WA

The incorrect ride height isn't a spring issue. If you change just the springs (which won't fit anyway) then it'll be the same or worse. The DRC is over-pressurized so the shocks are jacking up your car.

Bilstein PSS9's for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Avus-RS6 View Post
    I got in touch with MTM after 2 tries. Stasis has been great to deal with, Jason, Jared(now gone) all very helpful and willing to take my money. I do understand your point however. Try Achtuning (they're local to me) or Stratmosphere. Both are very good to deal with and have many products for our cars.
    I actually have used Stratmosphere and really do like them. They have always been great. Stassis however, I'd argue with you. 4 months to get an Alcon kit?!?!?!? And when I ordered it I told them please do not send track pads with it. After having to call them numerous times to track where the brake kit was I finally got it and put it on. Within 10 miles I knew something was wrong. Pulled the pads and cross referenced them to find out that they were indeed track pads. Called Stassis and asked exactly which Alcon caliper I had so I could order different pads and guess what, they didn't even know what caliper it was. Called Alcon USA and was referred to Hare "sp" racing. They were able to figure out which pads I had and actually cut a set of Hawk HPS' for me. Car is quiet as a mouse now. And I will never bother to call Stassis again. Sorry again for the rant, but thought I would chime in about how great Stassis is. You're definitely right about Achtuning and Stratmosphere though.

When I had my DRC replaced last month, I had Carousel Audi (Golden Valley, MN) install H&R springs. I purchased the springs from them for about $200. Labor was free since they were replacing the suspension system anyways. I just had to pay for an alignment...and the springs. Very happy with the results. I'll post pics, if anybody is interested.
    2003 Audi RS6
    2004 Porsche Cayenne S

Quote Originally Posted by TylerRS6 View Post
    When I had my DRC replaced last month, I had Carousel Audi (Golden Valley, MN) install H&R springs. I purchased the springs from them for about $200. Labor was free since they were replacing the suspension system anyways. I just had to pay for an alignment...and the springs. Very happy with the results. I'll post pics, if anybody is interested.
    Yes please post, Im scheduling my DRC soon.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Quote Originally Posted by TylerRS6 View Post
    Any updates on loading the pix? How about the ride after a few months with the H&Rs?
    I'm considering doing this. I can't deal with the looks of my RS6/Allroad hybrid.

My SA spoke with the tech, who did the correct procedure for suspension setup that we've beat to death in other threads. He said that while it's not strictly a requirement to load the car, then torque everything down, who would do otherwise? (I like this guy!) He said maybe if someone were in a rush or something...

He also suggested letting it settle a bit more (2K miles), and if it didn't settle down, we could talk about it. I'm going to do that since it did settle a little just on the ride home, but hasn't really budged since.

These springs seem like a cost effective way to get my car to pre-DRC "fix" stock height again. I'm waiting to get an estimate just to replace the springs. I can't see how on earth it could be 18hrs labor. If it's only 4-6 hrs maybe I'll do it to tide me over until I get KWs.

Anyway,
    Audi/KYB MUST have known that the new DRC raises the ride height of the car by a lot. I'm sure they put a lot of work into engineering a fix. It does ride better (stiffer and more "planted"). But why, oh why, would they raise the height?
    Just tell me, Audi! I'm reasonable, I can handle it. Just need a reason...

Spidercat, it almost scares me that your tech thinks that because it doesn't say to load up the suspension before tightening that it is Ok. Any mechanic knows that any car with rubber bushings in the suspension needs the car loaded before tightening. It even says so in the Bentley for the A6/S6/RS6 and for my tt. And my Porsche's manuals, both 944 Turbo and 911. Unless the suspension is all Monoball and/or spherical joints that is what needs to be done. It sounds like these dealer "techs" are all pathetic paper reading knowledgless idiots nowadays, definitely not mechanics. I guess if the manual doesn't have say common sense is needed then they don't use it.
    Roy, WA

No, he doesn't think that it would be ok to do that. He actually seemed a little insulted that I thought he might have done that. He's a good mechanic. I guess he was more reponding to what some around here have been spouting about the new DRC ride height problem being simply the result of torqueing everything down on a unloaded car. Obviously that's not the case.

The ride height is higher. Why? It's not a mechanic's oversight.

Has anyone's RS6 been returned to them at the same height as when they dropped it off???

Avus.. How is the ride different compared to pre fix and post fix?

I never measured, but I think it's about 1cm higher all around after.