Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of H&R springs...

Quote Originally Posted by TylerRS6 View Post
    New DRC with H&R springs ride quality is great. Not bouncy at all...just more aggressive. I am so happy with this "upgrade". The handling is very much improved. Night/Day difference. No issues from the dealership at all. In fact, they sold me the springs. It will not effect the DRC warranty.

I cannot get a finger in-between the front tire and fender, or a piece of paper :-0 ...
    I can get a finger in-between the rear tire and fender though. Occasionally, I have some rubbing in the front when turning over a bump or steep driveway. I haven't had the time to figure out where the rubbing is coming from, but will post results when I do. I'll also measure and post the drop.

-Tyler
    You're running spacers though right?
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

I will venture to guess that he is lower than 13 1/8 on the front. Thus the rubbing.

There is no finger clearance between tire and front fender.

I guess 12 7/8 on the front.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Tyler, check that rubbing in the front, with the H&R's I am lowered to 13 1/8" front & 13 1/4" rear with KW's and I don't have any rubbing problems. I imagine your higher than this so I'm not sure where the problem is. These measurments are take from the center of the hubs to the bottom of the fender flare openings.

ya, if there's no finger clearance, you're def going to have rubbing issues. my left front had to be jacked up because I was rubbing going into turns. Of course, I am also running an unhealthy 20 :P

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    You're running spacers though right?
    Just running 10s in the rear. Nothing in the front. I'll measure today and post the results.

Thanks guys!
    2003 Audi RS6
    2004 Porsche Cayenne S

Alright. Just measured from the center of the hub to the the fender.

Front = 13"

Rear = 13 3/4"

Going to make an appt with the dealer to get this fixed...
    2003 Audi RS6
    2004 Porsche Cayenne S

You mean the rubbing?

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercat View Post
    You mean the rubbing?
    Yep. It has gotten worse now that it's freezing cold here now :-(
    2003 Audi RS6
    2004 Porsche Cayenne S

Lemme know the results if you don't mind before I throw them on my car. I still have a ton of room left to go down, though.

Alright. Just measured from the center of the hub to the the fender.

Front = 13"

Rear = 13 3/4"

I'm at 12 3/4 in the front and 12 7/8 in the rear, and I've never had my tires rub even with 4 adults in the car. Maybe the Kw's don't offer as much suspension travel? I remember seeing your car in person and thinking to myself that the tires seemed abnormally wide. They obviously have a larger section width than the PS2's that I'm running.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Questions:
    1. Is anyone SURE that the DRC doesn't have to be opened just to replace the springs? Someone had written "no need to open the DRC," but my mech friend couldn't see how. I really want to avoid the dealer due to the logistics/timing/price. He's willing to do it, but understandably doesn't want to open the system.

2. Does anyone have any input re:stiffer (H&R) springs on the rear only? I would intuitively think that it would make the car tend to OVERsteer more (which is fine with me), much like a stiffer rear sway bar. The front height doesn't bother me that much. I would also avoid any potential rubbing problems if I did the rears only. The ride height is about an inch higher in the rear now, and the H&R drop the rear 1 inch, so I would think I'd be just about even.

Any thoughts?

I replaced my complete DRC system in order to install my KW's and as I did it I thought about the H&R's as I had originally purchased them but later decided not to bother with the DRC. If a mechanic was very careful the springs could be installed without opening the system. I think two people would help very much. One to hold all of the lines steady and one to operate the spring compressor tool and remove the springs. The springs on my "New Fix" DRC weren't under much compression and they could probably be replaced without need for a spring compressor tool.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

So if I get the H&R's will you help me put them in?

The connection to the DRC is at the bottom of the strut, so you should be able to change the springs without disconnecting. You might have to twist yourself into unholy positions, but you should be ok.

You can see the eye hole for the banjo bolt at the bottom of the strut, just before the shaft.

I can't help thinking that you should be getting rid of the DRC altogether...

Thanks, guys!
    I wholly agree this is a band-aid until I get a real suspension setup. The new drc "feels" a lot better, but my car no longer looks like it did before the fix. Just trying to get it to look "right" again.

Thanks, guys!
    I wholly agree this is a band-aid until I get a real suspension setup. The new drc "feels" a lot better, but my car no longer looks like it did before the fix. Just trying to get it to look "right" again.

I would agree with your statement. If you end up just doing the rear springs, and not the front I would think you would have a car that no longer handles correctly though. I don't know the weight of either the stock springs, or the H&R's. As long as they are both linear you probably won't have that much of a problem, but if the H&R's are progressive and the stocks are linear you will get some very sporadic handling from the rear of the car. If you go this route I'd like to see pictures and get your input. I'm just like you as far as I don't think the front looks bad, just the rear. Let us know. Thanks!

^^

+1

NEVER mix and match spring rates without fully understanding what your taking off and what your putting on.

Quote Originally Posted by AudiRS4ever View Post
    I would agree with your statement. If you end up just doing the rear springs, and not the front I would think you would have a car that no longer handles correctly though. I don't know the weight of either the stock springs, or the H&R's. As long as they are both linear you probably won't have that much of a problem, but if the H&R's are progressive and the stocks are linear you will get some very sporadic handling from the rear of the car. If you go this route I'd like to see pictures and get your input. I'm just like you as far as I don't think the front looks bad, just the rear. Let us know. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AudiRS4ever View Post
    Thanks. You make some good points. The H&R's are progressive (don't know about the stocks). They are stiffer than stock, but I don't know the load rating difference. I'll look into it. I think that putting on both F/R would lower the car even MORE (proportionately) in front (1.4 inches) compared to the rear (1 inch), so it would "look" even worse than it does now. That can't be good for handling either.
    Either way, since these are the only springs available, I can always add the fronts later, or switch the rears back to stock if the minor variation in how it handles (if it's even apparent) is somehow worse than having to look at the drc mullet (business in the front, :trash: in the back). I will definitely post pictures whichever I do.

Most understeer-prone track/race cars have stiffer rear spring rates to help compensate, no? I really don't think my car is going to flip over in a corner just because I stiffen the rear springs (I'm willing to take that gamble), or even lose a couple seconds/lap at the local track. I should be so lucky as to have a local track.

Most understeer-prone track/race cars have stiffer rear spring rates to help compensate, no? I really don't think my car is going to flip over in a corner just because I stiffen the rear springs (I'm willing to take that gamble), or even lose a couple seconds/lap at the local track. I should be so lucky as to have a local track.
    Isn't H2 your local track?
    99 C2 Cab
    04 Cayenne S
    03 RS6