Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AC issues

300W fan part number is 4B3 959 455D.

You sure it's the fan and not the control unit, though?

I just developed a similar problem with my AC. I took a 290 mile trip and it worked just fine all the way here. Went out yesterday to buy gasoline before the prices went up and the AC isn't cooling. All I get is air that is ambient or slightly hotter, and I'm near Columbia, SC...so that is some HOT air.

I have good refrigerant pressure and the compressor definately kicks on when I turn the system on, and kicks off and on when I hit the econ button. Today I drove it for a bit and kept switching from AC to econ and back and varying the temperature. At one point it started cooling the air just a bit, but it went back to ambient or slightly hotter just a minute later.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Shea
    Last edited by sheatisdale; July 7th, 2012 at 16:58. Reason: I hate spelling and grammer errors, lol.

I feel for you. My A/C acted up again yesterday. When it gets too hot the A/C will not turn on. Once I was out of the stop and go traffic I ran the car a bit, pulled over at a rest area and turned the car off and on and the A/C worked again.

I am getting intermittent codes for the coolant temp sensor and my second fan control unit. My understanding the control unit for the second fan is built into the fan (probably why it is so spendy)
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Nope, the smaller 300W fan has a separate control module. The bigger 600W is the one that has it integrated. And that one is megabucks.

Sorry to hear about your issue. I put the vagcom on mine and I'm not getting any codes from mine. Maybe the 97-100 degree weather is causing the issue for me too.

What should my low-side pressure be at approximately 95-100 degrees outside?

And where is the expansion valve located on our beasts?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shoppinit View Post
    300W fan part number is 4B3 959 455D.

You sure it's the fan and not the control unit, though?
    I'm not but my mechanic is. He tested voltage from control module. Got voltage appropriate for temp. Fan had bad continuity, so bad coil or something. I would imagine thrthing could be rebuilt for way less than 450...

I had bought a control module so if someone needs one let me know.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Quote Originally Posted by sheatisdale View Post
    I just developed a similar problem with my AC. I took a 290 mile trip and it worked just fine all the way here. Went out yesterday to buy gasoline before the prices went up and the AC isn't cooling. All I get is air that is ambient or slightly hotter, and I'm near Columbia, SC...so that is some HOT air.

I have good refrigerant pressure and the compressor definately kicks on when I turn the system on, and kicks off and on when I hit the econ button. Today I drove it for a bit and kept switching from AC to econ and back and varying the temperature. At one point it started cooling the air just a bit, but it went back to ambient or slightly hotter just a minute later.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Shea
    Your and Chungs issues are similar to mine. Same codes too. I had coolant control module 2 codes but wasn't the module in my case. If you have problems with warm air, its probably a dying clutch and/or dying fan. My main fan was coming on a lot. GO GET SYSTEM SERVICED before more damage occurs.. my A/C bill is approaching 2k.. make sure they evacuate the system and even flush it. And properly re add oil. Mine had low oil, and decintegrated.

Also you should have no problem getting cold air with this system in 100 degree air.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..

I too am at about 2k. Super annoying that it still doesn't work. I can do the coolant temp sensor myself but not sure about the fan. Maybe I need to enlist in some Mark help . The second fan rarely runs in my case since the code only comes up once and a while.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

I bought my module in anticipation of not having to replace it.. but it checks out. I'll send you a PM w info.

Just ordered the fan as well. AutohausAZ has it for $220 if you are in need.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Quote Originally Posted by Chung View Post
    Perfect thanks!!

Actually I can't seem to find it on their site. Not even by part number. Can you post a link? Or did you take the last one..

Actually I might had ordered the wrong one. I left off the D at the end.
    http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...=W0133-1736450,
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Actually I might had ordered the wrong one. I left off the D at the end.
    http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...=W0133-1736450,
    Yea when I search for cooling fan under 03 RS6, nothing comes up..

I would guess this should be something that someone could rebuild in a day? just need bearings and brushes, no?

Yeah, it's not rocket science, just a DC motor. Question is whether you can get it apart without destroying everything. These things aren't designed to be serviceable.

Well, mine was the compressor. It gave up the ghost. $1800. Ouch.

Got the car back today!! Wow, I am so excited to get it, been nearly a month waiting for misc parts. It sucks to be without it, but when you get it back, especially after driving a 79 Trans Am, its glorious.

All in, 2000 bucks for new compressor, dryer, lines, misc parts, new drive shaft, and labor.. not too bad.