Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AC issues

i am not sure if this does any good, but i always shut off the AC before starting on or shutting off the engine in order to prevent the clutch wear of the AC compressor....
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Quote Originally Posted by mik15 View Post
    i am not sure if this does any good, but i always shut off the AC before starting on or shutting off the engine in order to prevent the clutch wear of the AC compressor....
    I be interested in hearing from our mechanics on board if that would help.
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

When my AC started blowing hot air, they replaced the thermostat that controls the temp and it also fixed my boost problem. Go Figure..

Quote Originally Posted by Hy Octane View Post
    When my AC started blowing hot air, they replaced the thermostat that controls the temp and it also fixed my boost problem. Go Figure..
    Heard of this problem before.. can you elaborate which thermostat?
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Not really. It was 8 years ago and all I remember is they said it was the thermostat that controls the Climate Control unit..

I'm sure it was just the temp sending unit. Known to cause all kinds of oddities.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    My guess is the clutch is shot. I don't think you can get it separate. Need the whole unit.
    Well, you were right. Clutch is shot. Getting a new compressor put in tomorrow.. 660 installeld with all necessary parts and labor. Not too terrible.

I still think I may have an issue with this temp sensor.. I think it may be the temp sensor inside the HVAC vents? it looks very strange, like a miniature metallic pipe organ, if I am thinking of the right part. Blower Motor Regulator?

03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..

That looks more like a heat sink. For a temperature sensor, you want minimal thermal mass. For a heat sink, the reverse. I bet there are some transistors under there that are used to modulate the blower fan speed.

Quote Originally Posted by kday View Post
    That looks more like a heat sink. For a temperature sensor, you want minimal thermal mass. For a heat sink, the reverse. I bet there are some transistors under there that are used to modulate the blower fan speed.
    Yea.. I think it regulates the fan speed. In which case I need it anyway, as mine, even when not on auto, can start creeping up or down 3-4 bars!

Mine has no trouble keeping the fan speed constant but can't seem to maintain a steady temperature. Either Audi did a terrible job with the C5 HVAC (which I doubt) or something is broken on mine that doesn't show up on vagcom.

My A/C compressor cost a bajillion dollars installed. That is a great price.

There is also a High Pressure Sensor (G65?) that I had to replace on mine so that the A/C would actually turn on and stay on. This could be completely unrelated since I have no idea what that sensor does.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

I know of that switch. Its to protect from over pressure I believe.

Update #2.. another $320 to the bill for parts and labor, since the compressor actually gave out, and sent chunks of metal in the system. there was like no oil in it I guess.. last guy to service it was an idiot apparently. added freon only. So I need new lines, fittings, and a drier/filter. so total repair bill up to about 1k for AC. :/

Update #3... no one has a F***ing dryer in stock. Just some warehouse in TX and 4-5 days to order it via dealership. Tried another Audi unit and the angles wouldnt work, since its so freakin tight in the engine bay...... mechanic is hating me for this job, and for tying up his rack for 5 more days.

Anyone have any idea where I may be able to get one? PN 4B3 820 193 A - seems to be RS6-specific. Or know where I can steal a used one?

Shokan...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Shokan...
    Thanks!

A used dryer ??

OK, new dryer in.. temp is 38 degrees F out of vents now!! BUT.. found out my 300W small radiator fan is toast. Mechanic checked the module which was ok, and continuity test confirmed death of small fan.. which may have lead do death of my old compressor.

Of course, no one has this F-ing part either, and I will have to wait yet another week for parts. And dealer wants 450 for a fan!! Is there any other 300W audi fan I can cross-reference that will work? Anyone happen to know the PN? not showing up in ETKA.