Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holy Smokin' Brake pads, Batman

Holy Smokin' Brake pads, Batman

Just went for a spirited nighttime run, 4-5 runs of zero to triple digits, with hard (ABS wanting to make its presence known) stops for stop signs. By the last run, brakes had faded so bad, roughly half the stopping power. Almost brand new EBC Redstuffs, with several bedding in steps. Never would have guessed they'd fade that fast and that severely. When I pulled in to park, the rotors (or maybe the pads?) were making very loud popping noises as they cooled and smoke was wafting out of both front wheel wells. Took it back out and idled around the neighborhood to let them cool.

Very surprised and how bad they faded. Can't imagine taking this baby to the track even with the preferred yellow stuffs.

Is this typical for those with the redstuff pads or is something amiss?

Not that this is my typical driving style but my first thought was of most Porsches being able to be thrashed at the track and driven home. Maybe it's time for a Cayman S?

I'm running the same pads and haven't experienced that kind of fade, but I also have not done what you did as a test. And I rarely brake on the track.

After a VERY hard 20m session at Motorsports Ranch , when I pull off even after a full lap to cool down, my brakes would do the same thing, minus the brake fade ( Thanks to Motul 660 )... one guy joke that they were about to come apart...

S
    "You have first to experience what you want to express" (V. Van Gogh)

I would definitely bleed your brake fluid, how long since fresh fluid (makes the world of difference). Yes, Yellows are much better w/heat than Reds and only cost a little more. The factory rotors pop loudly when cooling from a hot run, something to do with the stainless pins from the aluminum hats going into the cast iron rotors. As far as the Cayman S goes, a Top Gear episode recently had a RS4 lap their track a touche faster than the Cayman S?
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

the fading isn't the pads its your fluid...do you have the OEM stuff or high temp Motul or similar? If you do not have high temp fluid go get it switched out and you will have a drastic change in fade (not the sound effects though).

Mine used to fade rather rapidly on the track 18 to 20 min regardless of the pad, and it was definitely my fluid boiling. You certainly worked up some good heat if you got the popping tinging noise...that's normal when abusing them (happens every run i do on the track and around town if i play hard)....i do really extended slow laps not touching the brakes around the paddock at the track. I have not noticed fade from the pads although it was yellows i used on the track but my reds do not feel much different.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

"Not that this is my typical driving style but my first thought was of most Porsches being able to be thrashed at the track and driven home. Maybe it's time for a Cayman S?"

PS, i've punished mine and had no issues driving home...although did need new pads in a week or two.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I would definitely bleed your brake fluid, how long since fresh fluid (makes the world of difference). Yes, Yellows are much better w/heat than Reds and only cost a little more. The factory rotors pop loudly when cooling from a hot run, something to do with the stainless pins from the aluminum hats going into the cast iron rotors. As far as the Cayman S goes, a Top Gear episode recently had a RS4 lap their track a touche faster than the Cayman S?
    Power lap times:
    Car used Time (mins)
    Porsche Cayman 1.26.2

And they've never put any of the RSes on their track. Only the R8, S4, and the two variants of the TT.

The RS4 was on last week on Top Gear and just repeated tonight. He droven the mountain road racing the rock climbers up the wall, a beautiful red one, series 7 episode 2. Jeremy Clarkson said hands down it beats the M3 (non V8 version).
    Roy, WA

Where do you guys get Top Gear?

Link or TV?

dave - top gear is on bbc america, but it's always a few series behind. Or you can pretty much watch them all on youtube. I think there's an official top gear channel, but I don't believe those are complete eps though... http://www.youtube.com/user/TopGear

http://www.bbcamerica.com/shows/topgear/about.jsp

Hmm, looks like you can also buy them eps on iTunes.

BBC America. Is it carried by any cable or dish tv folks?

We have direct tv because our rv has a dish on the roof and we can include it with our home setup. I should check Direct TV.

I remember a link that had the whole Top Gear show on links. Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by DuckWingDuck View Post
    dave - top gear is on bbc america, but it's always a few series behind. Or you can pretty much watch them all on youtube. I think there's an official top gear channel, but I don't believe those are complete eps though... http://www.youtube.com/user/TopGear

http://www.bbcamerica.com/shows/topgear/about.jsp

Hmm, looks like you can also buy them eps on iTunes.

You can also download them on I-tunes or Apple Tv if you have one. Great show, very funny but also nice to see some of the cars comparable times around the same track.
    Roy, WA

Well it seems the thread jacker police are out tonight. Member with 2 posts does not like me jacking threads.

So here....LOL. The whole show.

http://www.carmecrazy.com/video/208/Fifth-Gear-S16E01

And here...but I cant get the Top Gear shows to play. Arrrrrgh

http://www.finalgear.com/

Fifth Gear is shit. Top Gear or nothing!! And ya, BBC America is available on DirecTV, should be part of the standard package.

But anyway, as I mentioned, Top Gear on BBC America is a few series behind, so ya, go online for the more up to date, like Final Gear

Dont tell me I had it all along. NOOOOOO I have to go look. Damn.

Here is the TopGear full length vid that takes the RS6 up against the E55. Best show ever.

http://www.carmecrazy.com/video/41/Top-Gear-S01E08

Quote Originally Posted by DuckWingDuck View Post
    Fifth Gear is shit. Top Gear or nothing!! And ya, BBC America is available on DirecTV, should be part of the standard package.

But anyway, as I mentioned, Top Gear on BBC America is a few series behind, so ya, go online for the more up to date, like Final Gear

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Dont tell me I had it all along. NOOOOOO I have to go look. Damn.
    Yep, if you have DirectTV, you've got it - Ch 264. Stinks that you didn't know, but better late than never

are you guys telling me you don't know about finalgear? they have a link to every top gear eepisode starting from episode 1 avaliable for download... check it out, thats where i get my top gear from... www.finalgear.com