Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New RS5 test mule pics (ams)

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    Indeed, Qisha.

To tell the truth, my post was based in that hint you kindly provided us with.

Quote Originally Posted by Lmg View Post
    Regarding the coolers in the mule, the RS4 had something similar:

And there are other cars equipped with N/A engines wich also have them.

Couldn't these just be two additional watercoolers or something?

I know that they're pratically similar to the RS6's side intercoolers, but you never know.
    Well you see that is the problem with speculation, we all see what we want to see and disregard the rest.

I know what I see but I prefer to keep that to myself.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Some more pics:

Well,

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post

Then we have a nice juicy flop on our hands, way to go Audi!
    '97 993TT, '14 E63 S-line, '17 GT-R and a couple of '12 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4s for the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by iconcls View Post
    Funny, that was the same opinion BEFORE the RS4 B7 was introduced.

It ended being the best RS Audi made to date
    I am - besides other things - Audidriven
    blog.audidriven.net

Quote Originally Posted by iconcls View Post

if audi managed to get 460 hp and 360 of torque and offered it with DSG while keeping the fuel consumption the same would that be acceptable? to me, the main problem with that engine is torque. i would be happy with numbers like that. the Italia has a slightly bigger engine and makes a huge amount of torque.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Judging by the excitement level of Leadfoot I would say the engine is turbocharged, plus magazine publications were calling this engine out in 2007. I doubt Audi would go N/A, this car needs to usher in a new era of RS vehicles.

Unless Audi can come up with the same performance per litre as the new Ferrari in a NA engine they do not live up to their own slogan in my mind. 420-450 hp is disappointing, not to mention the torque and fuel consumption. Forced induction is the only way, I believe they have come to the same conclusion, therebye delaying the launch somewhat.

Maybe it will be a HDZ 4.2FSI...

+ a turbo

It all depends what route Audi wants to follow with the RS5.

If they want to achieve the best handling possible, an high revving n/a engine is the way to go, since it will be lighter than a supercharged or turbocharged V8 engine, therefore contributing for a better weight distribution.

On the other hand, wouldn't a biturbo or supercharged V8 engine produce a lot more than 500 Nm of torque?

If that would be the case, there's the possibility the current version of the longitudinal S-tronic wouldn't be able to handle all that torque, since its limit is 550 Nm, I think.

While i agree that the 458 Italia's engine turned the tables concerning n/a engines, an HDZ n/a engine with 450 ps and 460 nm of torque is nothing to be ashamed about.

After all, it would have more or less 107 ps and 109 Nm per liter, wich is more than the RS5's more direct competitors can achieve with similar n/a v8 engines.
    Last edited by Lmg; August 28th, 2009 at 19:57.

Here is one document from 1.5.2008 and you can see all models listed (A5 sportback, R8 V10, S4, A4 allroad) and it is pretty accurate....

http://www.shrani.si/f/1A/2e/2wmBB3dT/audi.xls

Here writes, that RS5 will be 4.2 FSI 331kW (450HP) and it writes S-tronic7 only, no manual!

I'm 99% sure that is correct info...!

BTW: It looks like that 4.0 TFSI 290kW (394HP) is going to be in S7.

If they want to achieve the best handling possible, an high revving n/a engine is the way to go, since it will be lighter than a supercharged or turbocharged V8 engine, therefore contributing for a better weight distribution.

On the other hand, wouldn't a biturbo or supercharged V8 engine produce a lot more than 500 Nm of torque?

If that would be the case, there's the possibility the current version of the longitudinal S-tronic wouldn't be able to handle all that torque, since its limit is 550 Nm, I think.

While i agree that the 458 Italia's engine turned the tables concerning n/a engines, an HDZ n/a engine with 450 ps and 460 nm of torque is nothing to be ashamed about.

After all, it would have more or less 107 ps and 109 Nm per liter, wich is more than the RS5's more direct competitors can achieve with similar n/a v8 engines.
    550Nm = 400ft/lbs (approx)

That figure is perfectly acceptable from either a turbo or supercharger unit as long as the torque range is decent. I am not saying that the RS5 will use either of these options but it would be perfectly acceptable if it did.

You are right that the HDZ N/A engine with 450ps & 460Nm would also be great and in the RS5 it would be a better car than the last RS4 but I don't think it's the right engine for the moment. The next M3 (yeah I know it's years away yet) will by all reports be a turbo charged and I bet it will offer more torque, economy and less Co2 levels than the HDZ engine.

And that's something that Audi can't let happen.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Please don't protect obsolete decisions.
    NA V8 in RS5 will be a disaster - nobody will buy it.

The only way for success for this model is Forced induction.
    Next M5 in 2011 - will be with forced induction and it's says a lot

The RS5 will be charged probably turbo but second as likely super, let's just hope pricing starts under 70K

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    You are right that the HDZ N/A engine with 450ps & 460Nm would also be great and in the RS5 it would be a better car than the last RS4 but I don't think it's the right engine for the moment.
    I see your point about the engine. A FI engine would provide more power, more torque with overall less fuel consumption and less emissions than a N/A engine.

But, besides the engine, one of the key elements in this kind of car is it's handling. An FI engine would add some weight to the front, compromising the car's handling.

That's why, in my opinion, the HDZ N/A engine is the best choice to ensure a more refined handling.

But, again, it all depends of Audi's priorities and expectations towards the RS5.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    The next M3 (yeah I know it's years away yet) will by all reports be a turbo charged and I bet it will offer more torque, economy and less Co2 levels than the HDZ engine.

And that's something that Audi can't let happen.
    Audi will probably have an answer ready to the new M3, but i predict that it won't be the RS5, since it will probably be out of production by then.

Maybe that answer will be a RS4 with a 4.0 TFSI engine...

Quote Originally Posted by artur777 View Post
    NA V8 in RS5 will be a disaster - nobody will buy it.
    I would!

But seriously now, i disagree with the fact that an HDZ N/A engine would be a bad choice.

Like Leadfoot said, it might not be the most popular choice nowadays, but if its lower weight helps to offer a better handling, then it's a good choice.
    Last edited by Lmg; August 30th, 2009 at 05:16.

A forced induction engine can be as light as the V8 or even lighter if it is the 3.0 V6. I don't think a V8 bi-turbo is necessary at all. I don't know if it is possible or not, but adding a turbo to the current V6 kompressor-motor doesn't sounds very bad either.
    5 Audis so far...currently:
    2007 Audi A4 B7 2.0 TDI Multitronic

Adding a turbo to it is very difficult because the supercharger and intake manifold is one unit.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....