Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's official, the new DRC is still defective!

Thumbs down It's official, the new DRC is still defective!

As you guys know, I had issues with my suspension since we had it installed, mainly with ride height but my car went in today for basic service. When they went to change the brakes they found that my front left shock is leaking! I called AOA, at first I was told that it could have been a defect from the manufacturer. This is concerning seeing as this is suppose to be a "new and improved" system for this very reason. Then I was told that possibly it was the installer who did not install it correctly but was later assured in the same conversation that the installers are given step by step instructions. I asked about being reimbursed if I swap out for an aftermarket set up and I was told there was no chance of that happening. They then told me my DRC has a 12 month warranty and can be repaired. I asked what happens after the 12 month warranty and they basically told me it was my problem after that. It seems to me that we are getting a new faulty system to replace an old faulty system. I had my NEW DRC installed 3 months ago. Attached are pictures of the leaking from the "new" system.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00520.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	8460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00521.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	8461  

1 year warranty... yay! Then we all get coilovers and never buy another Audi with DRC. Sorry to hear of your issues, it really sucks having such a high end car only to have recurring problems.

Jason

It looks to me like it's leaking at the banjo fitting between the shock and the line. That would suggest technician error, not shock failure.
    EDIT: nevermind, it appears that the banjo fitting is included in the shock assy., so shock failure it is.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Its not the same failure point of the old design.

As V8 has said its from the shock banjo or housing area. Several reasons could explain this from over torque to a crack to torn washer from over torque.

Bottom line. Its not the same failure and you should allow Audi to fix the car again and send you back on the road.

My car is 4 months on the road and working like a dream. I could not ask for more. Its perfect.

Dallas,
    That's disheartening.
    So, they will not allow us to get reimbursed for aftermarket shocks (KW's, etc.) once we agree to the DRC "fix"???
    Even if there's a leak in the "fixed" system (really doesn't matter where the leak is--point is, it's leaking)?

I was thinking about letting them do my upgrade next month or so, but getting less and less warm fuzzies with each post. The jacked-up in the back pictures and faulty installation stories are making me reconsider. I really don't have the time or the patience to keep taking the car in, even if the cover the cost. Unless they reimburse me for my time for this hassle (and of course they won't) it winds up costing me money (time=money).

So far, I have yet to see even one person with the KW's complain about their suspension setup. Far from it. I really don't want to sit (literally) on this time-bomb. My original recipe DRC was fixed twice, and the second fix has been fine since last fall. So what? The factory-installed DRC had been fine for 5 years before it went south. I plan on keeping this car until the wheels fall off (God I do love it!), and I don't want to foot the DRC-repair bill (or any part of it) in the future. There's always bits'n'pieces that aren't covered, and as I said, no way they would ever cover my time.

That would suck if AoA won't re-imburse us now for an aftermarket suspension after all these problems! Makes me wish I had just bought the KWs when my original DRC went bad the first time (or the second). I'm going to contact the RS6 hotline and see if we can still get re-imbursed for aftermarket suspension. This is rediculous!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercat View Post
    Dallas,
    That's disheartening.
    So, they will not allow us to get reimbursed for aftermarket shocks (KW's, etc.) once we agree to the DRC "fix"???
    Even if there's a leak in the "fixed" system (really doesn't matter where the leak is--point is, it's leaking)?

I was thinking about letting them do my upgrade next month or so, but getting less and less warm fuzzies with each post. The jacked-up in the back pictures and faulty installation stories are making me reconsider. I really don't have the time or the patience to keep taking the car in, even if the cover the cost. Unless they reimburse me for my time for this hassle (and of course they won't) it winds up costing me money (time=money).

So far, I have yet to see even one person with the KW's complain about their suspension setup. Far from it. I really don't want to sit (literally) on this time-bomb. My original recipe DRC was fixed twice, and the second fix has been fine since last fall. So what? The factory-installed DRC had been fine for 5 years before it went south. I plan on keeping this car until the wheels fall off (God I do love it!), and I don't want to foot the DRC-repair bill (or any part of it) in the future. There's always bits'n'pieces that aren't covered, and as I said, no way they would ever cover my time.

That would suck if AoA won't re-imburse us now for an aftermarket suspension after all these problems! Makes me wish I had just bought the KWs when my original DRC went bad the first time (or the second). I'm going to contact the RS6 hotline and see if we can still get re-imbursed for aftermarket suspension. This is rediculous!!!

They aren't going to pay for an aftermarket sysytem that isn't already installed on the car. They were reimbursing some of the folks that had done the change previous to the letters going out and dealers getting notified about this "service action", but that train has left the station.

I agree that the leak pictured looks different than any of my failures have, and that I would tend to lean towards an install problem rather than bad seals.

Quote Originally Posted by SAF View Post
    They aren't going to pay for an aftermarket sysytem that isn't already installed on the car. They were reimbursing some of the folks that had done the change previous to the letters going out and dealers getting notified about this "service action", but that train has left the station.
    That truly sucks.
    Makes me wish I had put more faith in myself than in Audi last year.

I have a new set of KW's in my shop ready to install but I'm having Audi do the DRC just to make a point and to cost them time & labor. I took the car in a week ago and it came back jacked up in the rear but it seems they've figured that out and dropping it off again to get it lowered (fixed). I do get a loaner car but yes (Spidercat) time is money so I'm out of a bit of time as it is 1 hour up and 1 hour back from the dealer if traffic cooperates. Hopefully the more this costs Audi they will get it right on a later car or dump the system, or just dump KYB (manufacturer) next time.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

[quote=Spidercat;168507]Dallas,
    That's disheartening.

[quote]

If it aint broke... I wasted too much time on the new suspension, I could have almost bought the KW's with the time I spent driving back and forth to the dealer. I say keep what you have because it's working, and at the point they are wrapping up the DRC recall, decide then if you want to do it. Do the recall if what you have is broke or at the last possible day of the recall, then you have a 1 year warranty from that point. When it fails after that, get coilovers. Mu $.02.

Jason
    Last edited by Avus-RS6; August 22nd, 2009 at 04:31. Reason: quoted wrong

As already stated, the photos are not snowing failure where the infamous "seals" are on the struts. In doing mechanics for 25 years, it appears clear to me a failure directly due to installation error - not design error. I too agree you get them to repair the fault. I liken the exact failure in the photos to that of an overtorqued gas/hydraulic line fitting. I've never taken this specific line fitting off, but there is likely a copper pressure washer that has failed.

Tim
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I just sent in all my paperwork concerning the reimbursement of my KW's installation on Thursday.

I'd received my second notice on the DRC "upgrade" (got my first notice about a month after I'd done a complete KW change over and ignored it). I called AoA to find out what those of us that got wise and ditched the OEM system should do.

I was told to gather any and all paperwork and receipts that I may have (I have every receipt associated with my RS6 stored away in a file) and send them in. AoA was reviewing all cases and I was told that there was a very high chance that AoA would reimburse me for the new suspension.

I'm not holding my breath, though.

AoA got copies of three receipts showing repairs on the DRC, a copy of a receipt showing the charges for the removal of the entire DRC (including lines and collector) and installation of the KW's and a copy of the receipt for the purchase of the KW's.

I'll let everyone know what AoA decides to do with my case. Hopefully I'll recoup some of the money I spent fixing Audi's screwed up system.
    An R8 and an RS6 in one garage: It doesn't get much better!

I think I'm going to take it back to get fixed but at another dealership. I will probably have to use money that was going to performance upgrades to purchase a KW or Stasis setup when it fails again.

Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by DALLAS_RS6 View Post
    As you guys know, I had issues with my suspension since we had it installed, mainly with ride height but my car went in today for basic service. When they went to change the brakes they found that my front left shock is leaking! I called AOA, at first I was told that it could have been a defect from the manufacturer. This is concerning seeing as this is suppose to be a "new and improved" system for this very reason. Then I was told that possibly it was the installer who did not install it correctly but was later assured in the same conversation that the installers are given step by step instructions. I asked about being reimbursed if I swap out for an aftermarket set up and I was told there was no chance of that happening. They then told me my DRC has a 12 month warranty and can be repaired. I asked what happens after the 12 month warranty and they basically told me it was my problem after that. It seems to me that we are getting a new faulty system to replace an old faulty system. I had my NEW DRC installed 3 months ago. Attached are pictures of the leaking from the "new" system.

Hey I know those pictures! Ben, we need to work through the solution with AoA and the local dealership(s) to at least give them the option of making it right ( I mean they are at least trying )

But time IS money and sometimes its just best to create our own solution and move on.

Let's talk again this week ( Mon-Tue ) and get a game plan together.

S
    "You have first to experience what you want to express" (V. Van Gogh)

Dallas,
    Your not alone...... my local dealer called me last week i was second in line for the replacement....I have my best friend who works there and i was lucky enough to get in and out in 1 day...

jump forward to yesterday...
    Went for a run up and over Ortega Highway which so cal people know as a long and twisty "test track" for bikes and cars.
    The entire drive i was telling myself something was wrong...the car felt like a pogo stick...It was bouncing in and out of corners and darting through turns. I had someone following me and he even called and asked what was wrong...

there wasn't a loss of talent as we both have many years behind race cars...I told him the TT we race would rival this in the turns...and that has 30 inches of travel

jump forward to today (Sunday morning)
    woke up and found a present from the Audi Devil on my drive way this morning

Audi tech geeks that read this board...

DEFECTIVE
    Last edited by ini; August 23rd, 2009 at 16:07.

So who's next?

That sucks to hear ini.

TT eh? Which one? I navigate for Pistol Pete on occasion and run class 3000 in BITD.

(sorry for the thread hi-jack) TT = Trophy Truck for those that wonder.

An R8 and an RS6 in one garage: It doesn't get much better!

Quote Originally Posted by KfabR8 View Post
    That sucks to hear ini.

TT eh? Which one? I navigate for Pistol Pete on occasion and run class 3000 in BITD.

(sorry for the thread hi-jack) TT = Trophy Truck for those that wonder.

Ah ha, I was wondering why his Audi TT would have 30" of suspension travel
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Mine and others have been perfect for over 4 months.

Dallas had a failure other than the shock seal point.

Yours is yet to be determined.

Sorry you had a failure but lets wait and see what happened