Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New and improved DRC Shocks installed in my RS6...

My dealer has been pretty good. They anticipated the shocks would be bad (or needed the business) so they ordered the shocks and pump. I just wish they would have noticed the ride height before I showed up. With a little guidance, they'll get it right. It sounds like the definitive repair is now: preload, accurate bleed.

Well that is some good news. They found a flaw in the process and can adjust and redo. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Sounds like my dealer has been told by Audi USA that they need to modify their procedure. Something to do with dropping the car down on the suspension before they do the preload, not when the car is jacked up in the air. Kind of makes sense that you would want the weight on the car when you set it up, just like when tighten bushings, you want them tightened in the loaded position, not unloaded. So back to the dealer with me and another on the list who will be picking his car up tonight from the dealer on his correction attempt.

Bingo. Good luck.

A RS6 with a working DRC is a thing of beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by DonS View Post
    My dealer has been pretty good. They anticipated the shocks would be bad (or needed the business) so they ordered the shocks and pump. I just wish they would have noticed the ride height before I showed up. With a little guidance, they'll get it right. It sounds like the definitive repair is now: preload, accurate bleed.

Sounds like my dealer has been told by Audi USA that they need to modify their procedure. Something to do with dropping the car down on the suspension before they do the preload, not when the car is jacked up in the air. Kind of makes sense that you would want the weight on the car when you set it up, just like when tighten bushings, you want them tightened in the loaded position, not unloaded. So back to the dealer with me and another on the list who will be picking his car up tonight from the dealer on his correction attempt.
    That was the trick, car looks much better!

I don't have even ground at my house to measure heights, but sitting on a slight slope (rear end downhill ever so slightly), driver rear is about 14" fender to center of hub, passenger rear is 14.25". Driver front actually measured a tad more... kindof pointless until I find level ground, but it definately looks much better! Handling is great too! I love my once again!

University Audi is now DRC capable.

Thanks for the post Jason, I'll give them a call tomorrow and see when they would like to fix my car again...
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Ok, just spoke with AOA about lowering the car on the ground to do the suspension. Let me back track just a little first. This morning I called the Service Mgr. at my dealership and told him about lowering the car on the ground to bleed the system. He and my tech pulled the bulletin and told me that it specifically says NOT to lower the car on the ground to bleed the system. He told me it mentioned this 3 times. He's a great guy and both he and my technician know what they are doing. He told me that he would do it if I wanted him to anyway, but obviously could not be responsible for any damage.
    I then spoke to AOA and was informed they did not know anything about lowering the car on the ground to bleed the system. I told them about this thread, but the lady I spoke to told me that either my Service Mgr. or the Tech that works on my car would have to call tech line.
    I called the service dept. and let the Service Mgr know that. I will let you guys know if I hear anything back. So far the car is scheduled to go back in next Wednesday to have the system re-bled.

What makes this worrysome is the fact that the original idea behind the special tool that was designed to do these repairs was a built in fail safe system that would show either success if done right or fail if done wrong. It seems that this is not working as planned.

Well I can tell you what my service group did...I asked how they did mine (as it came out fine having just picked it up Tuesday), the tech said he did it by putting it up on their alignment rig. So yes mine had the suspension loaded rather than hanging in the air. Not on the ground exactly but same difference.

Continental Audi in Naperville, IL. Mine was the 4th they have done, with two more right behind mine...we should know soon how theirs went as they post here too.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by mmaturo View Post
    Well I can tell you what my service group did...I asked how they did mine (as it came out fine having just picked it up Tuesday), the tech said he did it by putting it up on their alignment rig. So yes mine had the suspension loaded rather than hanging in the air. Not on the ground exactly but same difference.

Continental Audi in Naperville, IL. Mine was the 4th they have done, with two more right behind mine...we should know soon how theirs went as they post here too.

I wrote the Service Mgr. at my dealership and he had some questions for you if you don't mind us asking. He is really trying to figure out what's going on with mine. Here's what he wrote and would like to know if you don't mind answering. Thanks!

Your guy with the car done on the alignment machine, I have questions, Was it jacked up with the alignment jacks, or was it actually setting on its tires on the ramps? Also, what were the finished results of his ride height? Did he actually measure it pre and post repair.

Quote Originally Posted by AudiRS4ever View Post
    I wrote the Service Mgr. at my dealership and he had some questions for you if you don't mind us asking. He is really trying to figure out what's going on with mine. Here's what he wrote and would like to know if you don't mind answering. Thanks!

Your guy with the car done on the alignment machine, I have questions, Was it jacked up with the alignment jacks, or was it actually setting on its tires on the ramps? Also, what were the finished results of his ride height? Did he actually measure it pre and post repair.
    Have him call Continental in Naperville, IL, 630.388.1000, ask for Robyn in service (she is one of their service writers and very familiar with this) and ask the question about the jacks, that i do not know. The tech at the dealer that did the work and whom i asked...his name is Jack. However Jack said he had the suspension loaded which tells me it was probably sitting on the wheels but I really have no idea.

I did measure pre and post. Fronts are the same and rears are very slightly higher at only 1/16" to 1/8" higher. I measured from the wheel arch to the edge of my 19" rim pre/post fix. It was 4" in the front, 4 1/2 in the back, now its 4 in the front and almost 4 5/8 in the back. My 'old' DRC was fully pressurized still as it was only a 6 month old fix, so real good example of what is probably the correct outcome.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

I understand that it's a problem that AoA wants to just deal with and get it over and done and not worth it to spend the money to bring in the techs to train but it's lame that AoA didn't push out a training video for the certified techs to watch as they're able to for other services

They (AOA) should know by now that this issue isn't going to just die, if this is the fix they came out with late last year or early this year in Europe then it has been a failure, no more reliable than the old. And the RS4 guys have had their DRC's failing just as commonly as ours? What does Audi think, maybe KYB just sold them a terrible bill of goods and maybe Audi has been trying with KYB or maybe they really haven't until this outcry of owners.
    Roy, WA

AudiRS4ever, have your tech call University Audi in Seattle at 206-510-4435 and talk to Jon Savo about the procedure for your car.
    Roy, WA

AudiRS4ever, have your tech call University Audi in Seattle at 206-510-4435 and talk to Jon Savo about the procedure for your car.
    I'll do it. Thanks! BTW, my name's Chris. I measured my car again and it only grew a little bit in the rear, but I still don't like the way it looks. Looking at your sig it looks like you have KW's, no?

I have the KW's but haven't installed them. I installed the Hotchkis bars but I was waiting to see if Audi did the DRC correctly so I would definitley know how a good DRC felt. I'm probably still going to do the KW's this winter either way.
    Roy, WA

Jon at University might get a call from my SA here in Madison, WI. I stopped by to talk with the SA and learned that they did the same DRC repair to another RS6 - they Allroad-ed it to! I can't believe they wouldn't be more careful after I reported the problem to them and made an appointment for my cars' second repair. There the other RS6 sat in the ready lot for the oblivious owner. Hoepfully the owner notices the ride height and complains like I did. These guys need a little help!

Does anyone have the Audi spec for ride height? My Bently says the Allroad is 402mm +/- 5mm which is 15 3/4 +/- 3/16"" from "between center of wheel and bottom edge of fender." They also show the A6 4.2 and S6 Avant to have a loaded height of 4.8" from the bottom for the fender behind the rear wheel to the road surface - which doesn't make sense. Maybe they mean from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the fender, but that would be really low - tire just below the fender.

My ride height averages 14.5" in front and 15" in the rear.

Don,

Dont tell me yours is screwed up too. Arrrrrgh

What happened?

Have you called AoA? If you want the name and number of my guy at hq...lmk

dhall1 @ vzw.blackberry. net

Quote Originally Posted by DonS View Post
    Jon at University might get a call from my SA here in Madison, WI. I stopped by to talk with the SA and learned that they did the same DRC repair to another RS6 - they Allroad-ed it to! I can't believe they wouldn't be more careful after I reported the problem to them and made an appointment for my cars' second repair. There the other RS6 sat in the ready lot for the oblivious owner. Hoepfully the owner notices the ride height and complains like I did. These guys need a little help!

Does anyone have the Audi spec for ride height? My Bently says the Allroad is 402mm +/- 5mm which is 15 3/4 +/- 3/16"" from "between center of wheel and bottom edge of fender." They also show the A6 4.2 and S6 Avant to have a loaded height of 4.8" from the bottom for the fender behind the rear wheel to the road surface - which doesn't make sense. Maybe they mean from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the fender, but that would be really low - tire just below the fender.

My ride height averages 14.5" in front and 15" in the rear.

Yep Dave, my RS6 ride'n high. I noticed it as soon as I walked into the service bay. They threw the usual excuses at me so I appeased them by taking it home, but its going back on Monday. They don't have a plan other than to bring it in and work on it. I told them to ring up AoA as there must be a ton of calls as these repairs are going on across the US. It's like I'm talking to a puppy - they nod their head, but they don't do what I ask. And then they had the audacity to make the exact same mistake on another RS6 after I reported the problem to them and made an appointment to repair it - shame on them!

I'm consolidating a list of service reps that have completed and corrected the DRC repair from this forum to hand to my SA. Please forward the number of your contact. Thanks!!
    03 RS6 Avus, 80 Modena Spyder, 93 Porsche 964 Cab, 11 Toyota Sienna SE, 95 John Deere 345 w/42" snow blower