Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New and improved DRC Shocks installed in my RS6...

Hybrid View

So I took my RS6 back and I'm back in a loaner. They've got some regional guy coming to look at my car Friday and hopefully find a solution to the problem. I know one thing, I'm not going to pick it up until it's fixed. Apparently the rear is supposed to be 10mm higher than the front (per one of the service advisors) Mine is 30mm higher in the rear... doh! My car looked and actually drove great before I took it in for the DRC recall replacement. Due to this hassle, I wish I would have never taken it it, but we all know what they say about hindsight...

did you take the measurements as Dallas did?

Yes, the rear will be just a tick higher than the front.

Where is yours 30mm higher?

Quote Originally Posted by Avus-RS6 View Post
    So I took my RS6 back and I'm back in a loaner. They've got some regional guy coming to look at my car Friday and hopefully find a solution to the problem. I know one thing, I'm not going to pick it up until it's fixed. Apparently the rear is supposed to be 10mm higher than the front (per one of the service advisors) Mine is 30mm higher in the rear... doh! My car looked and actually drove great before I took it in for the DRC recall replacement. Due to this hassle, I wish I would have never taken it it, but we all know what they say about hindsight...

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    did you take the measurements as Dallas did?

Yes, the rear will be just a tick higher than the front.

Where is yours 30mm higher?

I didn't measure it, the dealership did. I'm glad they agree with me that the car is not sitting right and they seem to be looking for a fix. Until it is fixed, I get to put miles on a loaner, I'm not too upset about that.

This is happening a lot over here, but audi bieng what they are are trying to fob people off. IT WILL NOT SETTLE DOWN..........ITS A FALLACY!
    How they can let it leave the shop like it is beyond me. Thank God for Grizz.
    So fast, it will re-arrange yer trousers!!

Does anyone know what the stock height measurements should be? I have not really noticed a change in height with any of the four DRC jobs I've had over the last couple of years, including this "service action" job. I'm pretty sure it has always sat as it sits now.

One thing I learned while looking up some info with my tech, was that this "action" does have a final date on the offer. I believe it is available for only 18 months from this month. After that, any RS6 that is brought in to a dealership will not generate the flag to inform the owner about the offer, and the window will be closed.

When I had my struts replaced a couple months, they came back 1/2" higher in the rear. I took it back for a week or two and they couldn't find a cause. Some of their other replacements had similar results. The regional guy looked at my car and said that it was within spec, if I remember correctly. I said BS, but have yet to see anything further.

The height difference isn't as noticable as of late. Not sure if its because I've become used to it, or if it is actually stabilizing front to rear. I'll check tonight to see what if they're still 1/2" apart or getting closer.
    Topcat_92

Topcat,

The stock spec has the rear "higher" than the front.

I say higher by the measurement from the center hub to the top of the wheel arch.

Did you take measurements as above? What are yours?

Quote Originally Posted by topcat_92 View Post
    When I had my struts replaced a couple months, they came back 1/2" higher in the rear. I took it back for a week or two and they couldn't find a cause. Some of their other replacements had similar results. The regional guy looked at my car and said that it was within spec, if I remember correctly. I said BS, but have yet to see anything further.

The height difference isn't as noticable as of late. Not sure if its because I've become used to it, or if it is actually stabilizing front to rear. I'll check tonight to see what if they're still 1/2" apart or getting closer.

mark,

which chicago dealer did you drop off your car at?

i got my letter and am looking for a dealership to drop off the car to.

thanks!
    2003 RS6 - forsale

Quote Originally Posted by terrytcl View Post
    mark,

which chicago dealer did you drop off your car at?

i got my letter and am looking for a dealership to drop off the car to.

thanks!
    Its at Continental...I'll let you know if i'm happy with it though, I have been VERY frustrated with their techs and their abilities to figure anything out lately (car is also there for 3rd run at the exact same problem in other parts of the front suspension). Granted its not an easy problem but they keep handing it back to me after three week stints after giving up on it.

I'm the 3rd or 4th one they have done so we will see. I dropped it off yesterday, no word yet today on whats up with it.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by mmaturo View Post
    Its at Continental...I'll let you know if i'm happy with it though, I have been VERY frustrated with their techs and their abilities to figure anything out lately (car is also there for 3rd run at the exact same problem in other parts of the front suspension). Granted its not an easy problem but they keep handing it back to me after three week stints after giving up on it.

I'm the 3rd or 4th one they have done so we will see. I dropped it off yesterday, no word yet today on whats up with it.

any updates?

2003 RS6 - forsale

Quote Originally Posted by terrytcl View Post
    any updates?

Yup, DRC is fixed, picked it up this evening...all is good as i posted on the other links on the subject...feels the same as my still good last 6 month old DRC fix and ride height is the same essentially. About 1/16" to 1/8" higher in the rear but same in the front as pre fix. So i think you can feel good about them fixing the DRC.

They can't seem to figure out my pop but not surprised as they really have replaced now EVERYthing else...links, stabilizer bar, upper and lower control arms, checked the steering mounts, and i'm pretty sure everything else. They want the axle replaced before they go further. I gave up and took the car back as they did put the car up for me to feel the axle. It has a very slight give compared to the passenger side but i still do not see how a spinning axle would cause singular pop over changes in grade. The axle is just fine (will last awhile) so i'm not paying to replace a decent axle for $700. So screw it. There is still a bushing somewhere doing it but all their techs can't figure it out. I am hoping putting in new shocks and tightening them down helped. A of A essentially told me the same that i'm stuck till axle is replaced. Whatever. Its not that annoying but is pathetic. In 4 years of ownership i have had only about 6 months with no clunking or popping. Crazy.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

But you drove a RS6 for 4 years.

You had alot of fun.

You could have drove a Civic.

Quote Originally Posted by mmaturo View Post
    Yup, DRC is fixed, picked it up this evening...all is good as i posted on the other links on the subject...feels the same as my still good last 6 month old DRC fix and ride height is the same essentially. About 1/16" to 1/8" higher in the rear but same in the front as pre fix. So i think you can feel good about them fixing the DRC.

They can't seem to figure out my pop but not surprised as they really have replaced now EVERYthing else...links, stabilizer bar, upper and lower control arms, checked the steering mounts, and i'm pretty sure everything else. They want the axle replaced before they go further. I gave up and took the car back as they did put the car up for me to feel the axle. It has a very slight give compared to the passenger side but i still do not see how a spinning axle would cause singular pop over changes in grade. The axle is just fine (will last awhile) so i'm not paying to replace a decent axle for $700. So screw it. There is still a bushing somewhere doing it but all their techs can't figure it out. I am hoping putting in new shocks and tightening them down helped. A of A essentially told me the same that i'm stuck till axle is replaced. Whatever. Its not that annoying but is pathetic. In 4 years of ownership i have had only about 6 months with no clunking or popping. Crazy.

You mean for 6 year old cars they don't even bother to change the upper shock mounts? You can't tell me the rubber in those mounts hasn't gotten soft/weak after all of these years regardless of mileage, especially under the heavy weight of an RS6 sitting on them.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Well well. Isn't this all interesting. I'm supposed to take mine n Monday for the redo DRC.

Does not appear to be an improvement, not at least until each tech has done a few to "learn" how to replace the system. Not exactly inspiring.

My car handles "ok" but not like factory spec. I'd have a cow if I got the car back and the ride ended up even softer than it is now.

Those with the "new" DRC, can you bounce the car by pushing on the fender??

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post

Mike
    Not at all. Mine rides like a truck, and that's a good thing.

Mike,

I know you have been around the block on this deal more than once.

I can only say my car was never touched till about 28k this spring. Up to that point it was perfect and never touched. When it started to leak I noticed it right away. Now after the repair its right back to the stock spec and has been perfect for several months.

Keys to a good repair. The new special tool and a tech that will follow directions. Its that simple. IMHO without the special tool its a crap shoot. The tech that did mine was the same tech that did another list member in Scottsdale. The dealer is only letting 1 tech perform DRC work. A good move.

Good luck, take measurements before and after.

I can check the bounce for you but that is so subjective. Front to rear is quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    Well well. Isn't this all interesting. I'm supposed to take mine n Monday for the redo DRC.

Does not appear to be an improvement, not at least until each tech has done a few to "learn" how to replace the system. Not exactly inspiring.

My car handles "ok" but not like factory spec. I'd have a cow if I got the car back and the ride ended up even softer than it is now.

Mike

I picked mine up yesterday and the ride is firmer than before but definitely sits higher in the rear. I'm definitley going to install the KW's. Mine is 15" at the rear from the center of the wheel hub and an even 14" at the front. If I could have the current ride at a lower ride height I would take it.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I picked mine up yesterday and the ride is firmer than before but definitely sits higher in the rear. I'm definitley going to install the KW's. Mine is 15" at the rear from the center of the wheel hub and an even 14" at the front. If I could have the current ride at a lower ride height I would take it.

Mine sits higher in the rear too after the recall. Here's my question. Has anyone had that much luck with just installing H&R sport springs? I was thinking about changing over to PSS9's, but then thought I would like to keep the DRC suspension since it was just installed last week. All I am looking for is a lower ride height and I know the H&R springs would do that.
    I do remember though that I put them on my B6 S4 when I first purchased it back in 04 and the ride was extremely bouncy. I ended up doing a coil-over about a month later. I don't want to waste the money or the time on just springs if it's going to ride like crap. Can anyone chime in on ride quality with just springs? Thanks!