Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: New and improved DRC Shocks installed in my RS6...

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I have the KW's but haven't installed them. I installed the Hotchkis bars but I was waiting to see if Audi did the DRC correctly so I would definitley know how a good DRC felt. I'm probably still going to do the KW's this winter either way.

I may end up not doing anything with this stupid suspension. I am getting fed up with this. I am either going to do a coil-over suspension or just sell the car. I spoke with Bilstein yesterday and found out they do still have the PSS9's and they now have a different part number. They said the problem was the shock mounts were too weak and I am assuming that was what was causing the clunking on the car. I got the spring weights and while they seem very heavy (translation: extremely stiff) I know I can always order weaker ones if I find the ride too stiff. If I end up doing that hopefully I will calm down a little bit. Otherwise I'll be searching for a different car, possibly a different brand.
    The thing that gets me is that the RS6 has never been right from day 1 with this stupid suspension. Audi has known it and actually decided to do something about it. But then they screw it up by giving it an off-road look. Here's what scares me the most about the dealers that are doing this. My dealer showed me the bulletin where it specifically says, "Do not bleed the system with the car on the ground." Now we're being told that the dealer should be bledding the system on the ground. So is this a guess by Audi Tech? What will the long-term effects be with the suspension if they are loaded when they are bled? Not that the DRC suspension has ever needed an excuse to fail. It does that all on its own. Just some questions and some venting right now. I'll make a decision in a couple of weeks about whether or not I'm going to sell it or just put KW's or PSS9's on it. Right now I'm too pissed off to make a rational decision.
    The worst part is that I would probably got get another RS4, but I'm not about to go through the DRC nightmare again. This is just rediculous.

I feel your pain. It does sound like you have Audi service staff willing to make an effort to solve this problem.

I went back and looked at your wheel pics again. Your rear looks too high. Can you measure from center hub to fender lip again?

Hang in there...the RS6 even with its quirks is the best car on the road in its class. Expect problems from time to time as its not a Lexus but instead a race bred sedan.

Quote Originally Posted by AudiRS4ever View Post
    I may end up not doing anything with this stupid suspension. I am getting fed up with this. I am either going to do a coil-over suspension or just sell the car. I spoke with Bilstein yesterday and found out they do still have the PSS9's and they now have a different part number. They said the problem was the shock mounts were too weak and I am assuming that was what was causing the clunking on the car. I got the spring weights and while they seem very heavy (translation: extremely stiff) I know I can always order weaker ones if I find the ride too stiff. If I end up doing that hopefully I will calm down a little bit. Otherwise I'll be searching for a different car, possibly a different brand.
    The thing that gets me is that the RS6 has never been right from day 1 with this stupid suspension. Audi has known it and actually decided to do something about it. But then they screw it up by giving it an off-road look. Here's what scares me the most about the dealers that are doing this. My dealer showed me the bulletin where it specifically says, "Do not bleed the system with the car on the ground." Now we're being told that the dealer should be bledding the system on the ground. So is this a guess by Audi Tech? What will the long-term effects be with the suspension if they are loaded when they are bled? Not that the DRC suspension has ever needed an excuse to fail. It does that all on its own. Just some questions and some venting right now. I'll make a decision in a couple of weeks about whether or not I'm going to sell it or just put KW's or PSS9's on it. Right now I'm too pissed off to make a rational decision.
    The worst part is that I would probably got get another RS4, but I'm not about to go through the DRC nightmare again. This is just rediculous.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    I feel your pain. It does sound like you have Audi service staff willing to make an effort to solve this problem.

I went back and looked at your wheel pics again. Your rear looks too high. Can you measure from center hub to fender lip again?

Hang in there...the RS6 even with its quirks is the best car on the road in its class. Expect problems from time to time as its not a Lexus but instead a race bred sedan.
    14 5/8 Pass-Side Rear
    14 1/2 Driver's-Side Rear

I know what you're saying about the RS6 being a great car, but it seems like everytime I turn around I'm doing something to it. Anyway, the 14 5/8 does seem in keeping with what everyone else is writing in. I guess I just have to figure out what I'm going to do. Thanks again everyone for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by DonS View Post
    Yep Dave, my RS6 ride'n high. I noticed it as soon as I walked into the service bay. They threw the usual excuses at me so I appeased them by taking it home, but its going back on Monday. They don't have a plan other than to bring it in and work on it. I told them to ring up AoA as there must be a ton of calls as these repairs are going on across the US. It's like I'm talking to a puppy - they nod their head, but they don't do what I ask. And then they had the audacity to make the exact same mistake on another RS6 after I reported the problem to them and made an appointment to repair it - shame on them!

I'm consolidating a list of service reps that have completed and corrected the DRC repair from this forum to hand to my SA. Please forward the number of your contact. Thanks!!
    As posted above... Continental in Naperville, IL, 630.388.1000, ask for Robyn in service (she is one of their service writers and very familiar with this). The tech doing the work is named Jack.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

got mine back today. had them replace all the bushings on the top arms going to shocks since they were torn, car was apart and of course they weren't covering.
    first look the car looks high. i may measure but it's going back anyway.
    there were so many rattles from the front end and a huge clunk from one side it was ridiculous. worse than before. pushing on the car it responds as expected but on the road not what i expect. washy and doesn't seem to dampen right. what kind of road test did they do? parked for the weekend. i'll deal with them on monday.

Where did you take the car?

Did you follow the instructions to ensure they had the new special tool?

Sounds like a call to AoA is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by audios View Post
    got mine back today. had them replace all the bushings on the top arms going to shocks since they were torn, car was apart and of course they weren't covering.
    first look the car looks high. i may measure but it's going back anyway.
    there were so many rattles from the front end and a huge clunk from one side it was ridiculous. worse than before. pushing on the car it responds as expected but on the road not what i expect. washy and doesn't seem to dampen right. what kind of road test did they do? parked for the weekend. i'll deal with them on monday.

Quote Originally Posted by mmaturo View Post
    As posted above... Continental in Naperville, IL, 630.388.1000, ask for Robyn in service (she is one of their service writers and very familiar with this). The tech doing the work is named Jack.
    Just thought I'd keep everyone in the loop. Spoke with Jack at Continental and Brian at University yesterday. First off, 2 of the nicest and most knowledgeable guys I have ever spoken with. Some things everybody needs to know. Neither dealer is charging these systems on the ground. Both of the tech's said Audi specifically says not to and they're not doing that. So my tech here did a great job of that part. Here's where my tech went wrong and I don't blame him one bit as this is not what he was told to do.
    After the suspension is in and charged Brian and Jack are leaving all of the control arm bolts loose, or finger tight. Then the car is driven a couple of miles with everything loose so the suspension can settle while loaded. After it comes back, the car is put on the alignment rack where everything is torqued down with the suspension loaded. Guess what? Suspension looks fine and no problems.
    We put mine on the alignment rack yesterday at my shop and loosened all of the bolts. First thing that happened was that my whole car shuttered when we untightened the bolt. The bushings were all bound up. That's the really good news. I didn't think I remembered my car ever driving so rough. I then drove the car for about 2 miles and brought it back. The first thing I can tell you is that now the car drives like a Cadillac in comparison to how it did drive. It's not nearly as bone-jarring. We torqued all of the bolts and remeasured. The rear came down from 14 5/8ths to 14 1/2 on the right side. So not much, but I don't think mine was nearly as high as some have reported.
    Here's the bad news. I still can't stand the way it looks, but I think now I'm just making it up in my head that it sits too high. So with the ride actually good now instead of making me think there are shipping spacers in the car, and the fact that it did come down just a little bit I'm going to drive it some through the winter and next year decide if I'm going to keep it. If I do I'm going to most likely put KW's on it.
    Just wanted to let you guys know what is really going on and tell you that both Continental and University are 2 great dealerships with phenomenal tech's.

Your saying the rear control arm bolts were torqued before the wheels dropped back on the ground?

Thus the rear end being too high.

I dont know if that could cause some of the cars to be over 1/2 inch too high?

If so that is huge.

And yes, I agree its always a good idea to settle the suspension then torque control arm bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by AudiRS4ever View Post
    Just thought I'd keep everyone in the loop. Spoke with Jack at Continental and Brian at University yesterday. First off, 2 of the nicest and most knowledgeable guys I have ever spoken with. Some things everybody needs to know. Neither dealer is charging these systems on the ground. Both of the tech's said Audi specifically says not to and they're not doing that. So my tech here did a great job of that part. Here's where my tech went wrong and I don't blame him one bit as this is not what he was told to do.
    After the suspension is in and charged Brian and Jack are leaving all of the control arm bolts loose, or finger tight. Then the car is driven a couple of miles with everything loose so the suspension can settle while loaded. After it comes back, the car is put on the alignment rack where everything is torqued down with the suspension loaded. Guess what? Suspension looks fine and no problems.
    We put mine on the alignment rack yesterday at my shop and loosened all of the bolts. First thing that happened was that my whole car shuttered when we untightened the bolt. The bushings were all bound up. That's the really good news. I didn't think I remembered my car ever driving so rough. I then drove the car for about 2 miles and brought it back. The first thing I can tell you is that now the car drives like a Cadillac in comparison to how it did drive. It's not nearly as bone-jarring. We torqued all of the bolts and remeasured. The rear came down from 14 5/8ths to 14 1/2 on the right side. So not much, but I don't think mine was nearly as high as some have reported.
    Here's the bad news. I still can't stand the way it looks, but I think now I'm just making it up in my head that it sits too high. So with the ride actually good now instead of making me think there are shipping spacers in the car, and the fact that it did come down just a little bit I'm going to drive it some through the winter and next year decide if I'm going to keep it. If I do I'm going to most likely put KW's on it.
    Just wanted to let you guys know what is really going on and tell you that both Continental and University are 2 great dealerships with phenomenal tech's.

I never even thought of that. This could be as simple as the technician zapping the lower shock bolts in with an impact with a fully extended suspension. The shock bolts more so than the control arm bolts will definitely hold the car up. When I had my KW's installed, I wasn't happy with the ride height, so I pulled the car on our alignment rack to readjust them and loosened all the control arm and shock bolts and the car fell at least 1/2" right before my eyes.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

The suspension is supposed to be bone jarringly stiff.

Not the point we are making here. We are talking about preloaded suspension bushings causing the rear of the car to be propped up like a torsion bar. In that case the ride would suck and the rear of the car would be too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Hy Octane View Post

I have 12x12x24 treated wood blocks that I put my cars tires up onto and work on suspension mounting points and such.

I think its about time to check my RS6 even if I dont see a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    I never even thought of that. This could be as simple as the technician zapping the lower shock bolts in with an impact with a fully extended suspension. The shock bolts more so than the control arm bolts will definitely hold the car up. When I had my KW's installed, I wasn't happy with the ride height, so I pulled the car on our alignment rack to readjust them and loosened all the control arm and shock bolts and the car fell at least 1/2" right before my eyes.

I have 12x12x24 treated wood blocks that I put my cars tires up onto and work on suspension mounting points and such.

I think its about time to check my RS6 even if I dont see a problem.
    Hall, would you do me a favor and take pictures of the rear wheel gap on your car? Also, maybe take a measurement for everyone on the board so they'll know where their cars are supposed to sit? Thanks!

Search is your friend. See post 37. Mine's shown on 17, roughly the same. Several others posted as well that all seem to be converging on the same number.

^^ what he said.

Where did you take the car?

Did you follow the instructions to ensure they had the new special tool?

Sounds like a call to AoA is in order.
    took it to 'fathers and sons' in west springfield ma. said they had the new tool and knew what they were doing but think they were refering to experience with old procedure and feeling like i was their first on the recall.
    can you advise on who to contact?
    would like to get this thing remedied so i can finally get it back on the road after it sitting all summer so i can decide whether i love it again or sell it and go back to something rwd which i'm getting an itch for!

Quote Originally Posted by Hy Octane View Post
    not after a new DRC install

Quote Originally Posted by ini View Post
    not after a new DRC install
    Actually, the DRC is suppose to be very stiff... One of the ways to tell that it's defective is getting bounce in your ride.