Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New and improved DRC Shocks installed in my RS6...

Mine are

14 1/8 front
    14 1/2 rear

Even from side to side.

Mine has been done for a couple months. Still perfect ride and handling.

Even on the crappy roads we pay for. At least some free stimulus money could fix some pot holes. And yes, if HCR passes. I quit.

Doh.

Quote Originally Posted by RS6-4dr911 View Post
    Just picked mine up. I hope y'all don't make me get the Cragars, mullet, etc. Mine looks about as high as Dallas's. However, I looked at some pic's when I first got it and although I don't have measurements, it appears to be the same as then, seconding Dave's opinion that his looks like stock height. This is after reading the various posts about ride height and telling the SA to watch out for it, that I didn't want to come pick up my SUV.

I measured mine as Dave suggested for all to compare (center of hub to bottom of fender lip):

Front Left 14 1/8"
    Front Right 14 3/8"
    Rear Left 14 3/8"
    Rear Right 14 5/8"

Several possibilities for the car being higher on the right:

1) body panels are notoriously inexact.
    2) they messed up.
    3) the tech was from the UK and set it up to allow for my fat ass to drop the height 1/4" on the right side.

Pic's are attached for reference, keep your snide remarks about the curb rash to yourselves, was like that when I bought it (well, mostly).

As for the results, ride is radically smoother, harshness completely gone. Haven't really put the handling to the test but a brief u-turn felt pretty flat.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Yep, your sitting at stock level.

What do these MTM perches look like? I dont understand how they would lower the car?
    Well I looked on line and couldn't find much on them. I did find that Hoppen motorsports RS6 shows them on the cars specs ( http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com/MTM_JHM_07_25.htm ) so I know they exist. I will be removing the wheels tomorrow and getting some pics and seeing if I see a MTM logo or something. According Hoppens website site they are supposed to lower the car and provide better handling(?).

I have a theory. :cool2: Dont I always. :-)

The MTM perches were on your old struts housings. And guess what? Those housings were not reused. Guess what? They are in the trash.

Thus the reason for your car at stock height.

Hurry and call the dealer to find your old struts.

Quote Originally Posted by DALLAS_RS6 View Post
    Well I looked on line and couldn't find much on them. I did find that Hoppen motorsports RS6 shows them on the cars specs ( http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com/MTM_JHM_07_25.htm ) so I know they exist. I will be removing the wheels tomorrow and getting some pics and seeing if I see a MTM logo or something. According Hoppens website site they are supposed to lower the car and provide better handling(?).

did you take the measurements as Dallas did?

Yes, the rear will be just a tick higher than the front.

Where is yours 30mm higher?

I didn't measure it, the dealership did. I'm glad they agree with me that the car is not sitting right and they seem to be looking for a fix. Until it is fixed, I get to put miles on a loaner, I'm not too upset about that.

Well well. Isn't this all interesting. I'm supposed to take mine n Monday for the redo DRC.

Does not appear to be an improvement, not at least until each tech has done a few to "learn" how to replace the system. Not exactly inspiring.

My car handles "ok" but not like factory spec. I'd have a cow if I got the car back and the ride ended up even softer than it is now.

Those with the "new" DRC, can you bounce the car by pushing on the fender??

Mike

I picked mine up yesterday and the ride is firmer than before but definitely sits higher in the rear. I'm definitley going to install the KW's. Mine is 15" at the rear from the center of the wheel hub and an even 14" at the front. If I could have the current ride at a lower ride height I would take it.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post

Mike
    Not at all. Mine rides like a truck, and that's a good thing.

Mike,

I know you have been around the block on this deal more than once.

I can only say my car was never touched till about 28k this spring. Up to that point it was perfect and never touched. When it started to leak I noticed it right away. Now after the repair its right back to the stock spec and has been perfect for several months.

Keys to a good repair. The new special tool and a tech that will follow directions. Its that simple. IMHO without the special tool its a crap shoot. The tech that did mine was the same tech that did another list member in Scottsdale. The dealer is only letting 1 tech perform DRC work. A good move.

Good luck, take measurements before and after.

I can check the bounce for you but that is so subjective. Front to rear is quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    Well well. Isn't this all interesting. I'm supposed to take mine n Monday for the redo DRC.

Does not appear to be an improvement, not at least until each tech has done a few to "learn" how to replace the system. Not exactly inspiring.

My car handles "ok" but not like factory spec. I'd have a cow if I got the car back and the ride ended up even softer than it is now.

Mike

Mike,

Contact AoA's advocate team and ask to speak to the area rep. It seems to me the dealer does not know what to do with the DRC.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I picked mine up yesterday and the ride is firmer than before but definitely sits higher in the rear. I'm definitley going to install the KW's. Mine is 15" at the rear from the center of the wheel hub and an even 14" at the front. If I could have the current ride at a lower ride height I would take it.

Mine sits higher in the rear too after the recall. Here's my question. Has anyone had that much luck with just installing H&R sport springs? I was thinking about changing over to PSS9's, but then thought I would like to keep the DRC suspension since it was just installed last week. All I am looking for is a lower ride height and I know the H&R springs would do that.
    I do remember though that I put them on my B6 S4 when I first purchased it back in 04 and the ride was extremely bouncy. I ended up doing a coil-over about a month later. I don't want to waste the money or the time on just springs if it's going to ride like crap. Can anyone chime in on ride quality with just springs? Thanks!

What are your measurements fr and rear?

IMHO your only option is to stick with the DRC or go over to KW's. The PSS9s ride height is just too low for a daily driven RS6. Look up V8Weight's past posts and you will see his KW settings and right height. Perfect install.

Quote Originally Posted by AudiRS4ever View Post
    Mine sits higher in the rear too after the recall. Here's my question. Has anyone had that much luck with just installing H&R sport springs? I was thinking about changing over to PSS9's, but then thought I would like to keep the DRC suspension since it was just installed last week. All I am looking for is a lower ride height and I know the H&R springs would do that.
    I do remember though that I put them on my B6 S4 when I first purchased it back in 04 and the ride was extremely bouncy. I ended up doing a coil-over about a month later. I don't want to waste the money or the time on just springs if it's going to ride like crap. Can anyone chime in on ride quality with just springs? Thanks!

What are your measurements fr and rear?

IMHO your only option is to stick with the DRC or go over to KW's. The PSS9s ride height is just too low for a daily driven RS6. Look up V8Weight's past posts and you will see his KW settings and right height. Perfect install.
    This is the post I made on Quattro World:
    "These are taken from the highest point of the fender to the top of the actual rim, not the tire as different brands of tires with different wear are going to skew the numbers. Also, the tires are brand new Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's. They have about 200 miles on them so the tread is as high as it can be for that tire. Probably a 2-3 mm difference between new and worn out.

Front = 4 1/4 to the rim.

Rear = 4 3/4 to the rim. "

The problem is I would really like to leave the factory suspension somewhat intact. That is why I am looking to maybe just put the H&R sport springs on. I would like someone who has actually had them on their car to chime in to tell me if the ride got bouncy when they did it. Otherwise I may end up with the KW's. The factory ride height now that it's back and higher in the rear is just not an option for me. I think it looks rediculous.

It seems like you have stock suspension specs.

But really were all taking the measurements from the center of the hub to top of fender arch.

It looks like you have about a 1/2 more gap in the rear which is stock spec.

To each his/her own but he RS6 at stock height is just fine for me. When working properly a car with DRC is just a pleasure to drive. Here is a pic of my car at stock level next to a PSS9 car. Again your choice.

Just adding HR springs to the DRC shock is not a typical choice here. I dont think you will find anyone that has done it and or liked it.

This is the post I made on Quattro World:
    "These are taken from the highest point of the fender to the top of the actual rim, not the tire as different brands of tires with different wear are going to skew the numbers. Also, the tires are brand new Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's. They have about 200 miles on them so the tread is as high as it can be for that tire. Probably a 2-3 mm difference between new and worn out.

Front = 4 1/4 to the rim.

Rear = 4 3/4 to the rim. "

The problem is I would really like to leave the factory suspension somewhat intact. That is why I am looking to maybe just put the H&R sport springs on. I would like someone who has actually had them on their car to chime in to tell me if the ride got bouncy when they did it. Otherwise I may end up with the KW's. The factory ride height now that it's back and higher in the rear is just not an option for me. I think it looks rediculous.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1678.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	8437  

It seems like you have stock suspension specs.

But really were all taking the measurements from the center of the hub to top of fender arch.

It looks like you have about a 1/2 more gap in the rear which is stock spec.

To each his/her own but he RS6 at stock height is just fine for me. When working properly a car with DRC is just a pleasure to drive. Here is a pic of my car at stock level next to a PSS9 car. Again your choice.

Just adding HR springs to the DRC shock is not a typical choice here. I dont think you will find anyone that has done it and or liked it.

HMMMMM...... The rearend of your car still looks lower than mine. I'm 99.9% positive that mine came back higher at all 4 corners, but it does drive fine. I am thinking after what you said about just springs I will look at KW and PSS9's. I know you said the KW's are the way to go so I'm going to look at those very carefully before I make my final decision. Thanks again.

I don't think they even make the PSS9's for the RS6 anymore, at least Bilstein has dropped them from the '09 catalog but there seems to be a lot of sets still on shelves. Many were hoping the PSS10's would come out with an RS6 fitment but to no avail.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Take some pics of your car.

Also remeasure from the center of the rim/hub to the top of the fender lip.

Your may be alittle higher then mine.

Did the dealer use the new special tool to bleed air? Its a hand pump manual device that takes forever to manually operate. That is the only way to ensure all the air is bled.

HMMMMM...... The rearend of your car still looks lower than mine. I'm 99.9% positive that mine came back higher at all 4 corners, but it does drive fine. I am thinking after what you said about just springs I will look at KW and PSS9's. I know you said the KW's are the way to go so I'm going to look at those very carefully before I make my final decision. Thanks again.

Another angle of the current right level
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1665.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	8438  

Another angle of the current right level
    Actually from that angle your car looks the exact same height as mine. Yes, they did use the new bleeder. I spoke with the technician that worked on it, as well as the Service Mgr. They're both great to me and the tech said it took well over an hour to bleed the system correctly.
    Maybe I'm just going crazy and think that the car was lower than it actually was. I'll try to take a pic and remeasure some time this week. I won't have time today or tomorrow. Thanks for the picture though. It makes me feel much better to see that yours is about where mine is.