Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bicycle

Bicycle

Well, this could be OT as well, but riding is a lifestyle too I suppose.

Any here ride road bikes? Looking to get back into it, been far too many years... Only ever had cheap stuff but this time around looking to get something pretty nice.

Curious to see what others here may be riding.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Hey Ben, big fan of cycling here, currently I'm riding a 2008 model Kona Hoss DeLuxe, really great bike with added strength for my big weight (that's why I bought it, it's marketing slogan is "For the man-sized biker " or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by Benman View Post
    Well, this could be OT as well, but riding is a lifestyle too I suppose.

Any here ride road bikes? Looking to get back into it, been far too many years... Only ever had cheap stuff but this time around looking to get something pretty nice.

Curious to see what others here may be riding.

Ben
    I have two, one for daytime and one (called UKRAINE - this is manufaturer's name...) for ride to/from a pub. This one is so old that only russian army and osamabites would steal it
    rs6+/mtm/movit
    q7 4.2 tdi mtm
    CAT D3
    RAM3500 D Cummins 6.7 Diesel

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ObamaCare: Medicine with IRS compassion and DMV urgency.

"A politician will never provide a service for you cheaper than you can do it yourself...."

If the liberals love communism so much, why don't they move to China?

Yup Big fan here but mostly a fan for MTB. I have Giant Rainier, for my size it's pretty good I guess.

I've always liked the idea of riding on one of those road bicicles....I hear Giant has some pretty good models as well as Specialized...the latter being a HELL of a lot more expensive(at least here in Chile). If you're looking for something pretty nice...the sky is the limit, there are a lot of expensive uber nice bicicles.

Good hunt!

LOL George!

RS6, yes, the Kona is nice for bigger riders. I am in the "average" rider range, and frankly, quite small for an American at 5'10" 160lbs. And I am even dropping (not that I want to) some more weight since riding.

Javier, Giant, Specialized make great stuff, and you are correct: The Sky IS the limit... well, more precisely, my WALLET is the limit!

For my budget, I am topped out at something along the lines of a 2008/9 Trek Madone 5.2/5.5 or Cannondale Carbon Six. That would be @ my range and desired style bike. Not sure if any here have experience with something like those. Again, I am only used to entry level Walmart/Target stuff. It would be nice to have something quality. I will need it for a little more than just taking me back and forth to the local Pub.

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

LOL George!

RS6, yes, the Kona is nice for bigger riders. I am in the "average" rider range, and frankly, quite small for an American at 5'10" 160lbs. And I am even dropping (not that I want to) some more weight since riding.
    Ben

Average? Pretty bold statement for someone shorter than average human....
    rs6+/mtm/movit
    q7 4.2 tdi mtm
    CAT D3

"A politician will never provide a service for you cheaper than you can do it yourself...."

For my budget, I am topped out at something along the lines of a 2008/9 Trek Madone 5.2/5.5 or Cannondale Carbon Six. That would be @ my range and desired style bike. Not sure if any here have experience with something like those. Again, I am only used to entry level Walmart/Target stuff. It would be nice to have something quality.

Ben
    Trek is nice, I'm looking to get one as well (well, later this year, just got me a buldozer ).

Wallmart had a special on HooDoo Moon bikes couple weeks ago and that would definitely fit your budget
    rs6+/mtm/movit
    q7 4.2 tdi mtm
    CAT D3

I used to ride my Trek MTB in Manhattan, want to get back into riding in HKG, but the roads are much too narrow here and not very pedestrian / bike friendly...

Quote Originally Posted by gjg View Post
    Average? Pretty bold statement for someone shorter than average human....
    I don't know what that quite says about yourself since I am taller than you.

For riders, a lot seem to be small. At the pro level they are damn near midgets. Lance Armstrong, who seems tall and lanky compared to most of his competitors is only my height (5'10"). BTW, yes I know there are tall ones like Andy Schleck. Anyway...

LOL on the Walmart, I want something that will actually last me more than two or three weeks.

Ben
    Last edited by Benman; August 10th, 2009 at 06:54.
    Ron Paul Fan

For riders, a lot seem to be small. At the pro level they are damn near midgets. Lance Armstrong, who seems tall and lanky compared to most of his competitors is only my height (5'10"). BTW, yes I know there are tall ones like Andy Schleck. Anyway...

LOL on the Walmart, I want something that will actually last me more than two or three weeks.

Ben
    I was under the impression that the average male's height was 5' 7"....

The Walmart bike would be EXCELLENT training as it is made of chromoly steel and would also guarantee that no one would steal it... wait... you also live in Southern California... It will be gone in two seconds if not locked up...

Madone??!?!? steep price tag unless it is last years model...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Ben
    6' was bit taller than 5'2" last time I looked ....
    rs6+/mtm/movit
    q7 4.2 tdi mtm
    CAT D3

Who's 5'2" LOL?

I was looking at a pic with both of us in it (thought you were a tad shorter) but no, you do best me by 2 inches.

Ben, Walmart sells what is called a Denali... damn, what a piece of caca! It is supposed to be a 21 speed but it only has 4 different speeds that work (on a good day, I can get 6 working speeds). But you are right, a great training bike! At 30lbs and with crappy components, it is proving to be a good trainer. Having said that, it will also make me really appreciate havinbg a good quality bike, especially something that literally weighs half!

Madone 5.2/5.5 is what I am leaning towards but won't know till later in the week after some test rides. And yes, I can save over $1K by just going for an 09'. I am game for a Cannondale CAAD 9-5 if the bang for the buck factor is high. I'll keep you posted.

BTW George, on a health note, how are you doing with the excercise routine? Hopefully sticking to it.

Right now my body fat content is <17% but would love to be at 8-10% and I feel my best bet would be road cycling. I will have to up the calorie intake though to keep from getting too skinny.

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

Indeed I would recommend the Cannondale six, it's in my garage now, along with my KLEIN Attitude MTB, Gary Fisher supercaliber ( same as Paulo Pezzo won with in the Atlanta Olympics -96 (man's best friend!!!)) and a Gary Fisher Procaliber MTB.

The Six is one of the lightest carbonframes around, and it doesn't have a weight limit, witch they usally have on the carbon frames. ( I'm 5,11 and 210 lbs) Really stiff frame, nice look at a price that won't totally empty your pocket.
    Vorsprung durch technik

I'm running a Trek 6500 Disc. Bought it a couple of years ago. Nothing special but I like it and it runs perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Myrtlebeach View Post
    Indeed I would recommend the Cannondale six...
    Just rode several bikes...

First CAAD 9-5, excellent aluminum bike, fantastic, until of course I tried the Madone 5.2! My goodness, incredible! The Cannondale Six was probably even lighter, but I thought the handling was a tad "racy", almost twitchy, compared to the more relaxed Madone (hope that makes sense?). All excellent bikes for sure.

I believe I may be leaning towards pulling the gun on the Trek Madone 5.2, just an excellent all arounder. Of course, then there is the Super Six, but again, I think it is above my skill level. Hell, all these bikes are above my skill level.

A fellow shop owner I was speaking to wants me to try a Giant TCR Advanced SL... LOL! Way above my budget, I don't even want to SIT on that bike, let alone test ride it!

Thanks for the input everyone, appreciated!

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

Just rode several bikes...

First CAAD 9-5, excellent aluminum bike, fantastic, until of course I tried the Madone 5.2! My goodness, incredible! The Cannondale Six was probably even lighter, but I thought the handling was a tad "racy", almost twitchy, compared to the more relaxed Madone (hope that makes sense?). All excellent bikes for sure.

I believe I may be leaning towards pulling the gun on the Trek Madone 5.2, just an excellent all arounder. Of course, then there is the Super Six, but again, I think it is above my skill level. Hell, all these bikes are above my skill level.

A fellow shop owner I was speaking to wants me to try a Giant TCR Advanced SL... LOL! Way above my budget, I don't even want to SIT on that bike, let alone test ride it!

Thanks for the input everyone, appreciated!

Ben
    Hahahaha, yes I know precisely what you mean by that...when I was looking for my bike I tried a few Specializeds and well...everything was fun and games until I asked the salesperson about the price...worst part was that I had the money, but could not purchase it for my mental health.

Post pics whenever you get a chance!

Saludos!

Just picked it up Friday night!!! Saturday did my very first group ride: 24 miles. Sunday did a ride with my Dad, 3 legs, he did 2 with me, total was 26 miles: 50 for the weekend.

Tomorrow will be an attempt at 46 miles in the morning. Will posts pics after tomorrow's ride, depending if I'm still doing good.

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

Ok...

So, the ride went better than I thought. I was hoping to crack the 3 hour barrier for the 46 mile ride (I know, not that quick, but there are a lot of stop signs and lights along those 46 miles...

Ended up 2 hours 32 minutes of an overall average speed of 18.16mph over the 46 miles. I was very happy with the result for my by far longest ride to date.

The bike is definately everything I was hoping it would be. Very comfortable and the carbon fiber frame does an exceptional job of absorbing our shitty roads. My only complaint: My ass is NOT use to those tiny freaking seats! Wow! My legs are fine, but my ass feels like I just got out of prison! Dayum! Over time I am sure it will get better. I didn't even notice the feeling on the shorter rides I did, but once I hit the 40 mile marker... damn... I started feeling it big time. LOL!

And pics. Hard to tell, but it is actually a shade darker Daytona Grey. Sweet!

Ben
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trek Madone 5.2 1.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	8481   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trek Madone 5.2 2.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	8482  
    Ron Paul Fan