Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Easy oil change and filter access

Arrow DIY: Easy oil change and filter access

Not sure why "others" mentioned that you need to lower sway bar or some other stuff, I didnt believe it and decided to make some pictures.
    Its a basic maintenance and should not touch any part of suspension.

Hope we all know which one is the main bolt for oil drain and it requires star "*" T-55

Filter is easily accessible from passenger side wheel, next to axle there is a hole where you can GET FILTER IN and OUT

Here is my hand easily touching the filter
    Pipe you see is turbo pipe, hose was removed for replacement, no need to remove during oil change

www.WheelsGallery.com

All about wheels and cars.
    Free image gallery, sell or trade your wheels online.

kinda an off topic question, does the engine have to be removed in order to perform the timing belt service?

nope

only the front bumper and support

so why do people make such a big deal about changing the t-belt... i know its a pain in the ass, but it can be done in a weekend... i thought the car had to be under major service to get it replaced... i guess not

i'll post timing belt DIY when time comes.
    I did tbelt on my s4, nothing hard i would say 12 pack of beer and by the time you finish em t-belt will be done. :cool2:

Quote Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
    so why do people make such a big deal about changing the t-belt... i know its a pain in the ass, but it can be done in a weekend... i thought the car had to be under major service to get it replaced... i guess not
    www.WheelsGallery.com

Working at a dealer it is much easier if you can drop the enige for a T-belt job. But the enigne does need to be dropped to replace 2 of the O2 sensor and valve cover gasket replacement.

I changed my valve cover gasket with three tools in hands, no way you need to drop engine for that

Quote Originally Posted by 96a4 View Post
    Working at a dealer it is much easier if you can drop the enige for a T-belt job. But the enigne does need to be dropped to replace 2 of the O2 sensor and valve cover gasket replacement.

www.WheelsGallery.com

Quote Originally Posted by Audi-RS6 View Post
    i'll post timing belt DIY when time comes.
    I did tbelt on my s4, nothing hard i would say 12 pack of beer and by the time you finish em t-belt will be done. :cool2:
    12 pack!?:bigeyes:

I would be on the ground sleeping instead of working...

excellent write-ups and photos!
    The Mods should have a DIY area....hint hint...
    Last edited by ben916; June 19th, 2009 at 23:36.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I would say you own that one.

I need to find me a high miler to dive into all these repairs. Mine just turned 30k and it needs nothing. Damn, I want to get the tools out.

Quote Originally Posted by Audi-RS6 View Post
    I changed my valve cover gasket with three tools in hands, no way you need to drop engine for that

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    I would say you own that one.

I need to find me a high miler to dive into all these repairs. Mine just turned 30k and it needs nothing. Damn, I want to get the tools out.

Maybe we can work out a trade Needless to say since I bought the RS6, my tools gather very little dust. On topic though, I always just remove the sway bar as well as the right intercooler tube when changing my filter. It's easy enough to remove the filter without doing so, but the oil drains right down onto the sway bar.
    Last edited by V8weight; June 20th, 2009 at 00:00.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Hehe,

I have my 88 Alltrac turbo down at my place in AZ. I got some tinkering planned for it this summer. It already has a big ass turbo, injectors, fuel, tune and 3" ceramic coated exhaust from the turbo back. One of a kind Whiteline full suspension upgrades and the car just turned 70k miles. Talk about sleeper....nobody has a clue what that thing can do.

The only problem, upgraded Porterfield pads and stock rotors will not slow the car down. Ahhhhhh, after about 10 minutes of hard canyon running....the pads are on fire.

I have to plan a full brake package update to the car. Nobody makes anything for that little monster.

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    Maybe we can work out a trade Needless to say since I bought the RS6, my tools gather very little dust. On topic though, I always just remove the sway bar as well as the right intercooler tube when changing my filter. It's easy enough to remove the filter without doing so, but the oil drains right down onto the sway bar.

[quote=96a4;164492]Working at a dealer it is much easier if you can drop the enige for a T-belt job. quote]

Thats why dealers are crooks.

Thats complete and total bullshit man. The engine does not have to come out at all to do a cam belt, and nothing could be easier. as Dave says, front bumper off and the whole front end of the engie is exposed, if its on a ramp its even easier! Grizz did mine in less than a morning.... Including all pulleys, tensioners, water pump AND thermostat.
    And that was why he was £3000 cheaper than the dealer. Fookin robbing bastards, praying on the unwary.

Engine out = money making.......
    So fast, it will re-arrange yer trousers!!

Quote Originally Posted by 96a4 View Post
    Engine just needs to be "lowered" to get to the O2 sensors/downpipes.
    Great job Audi-RS6! How about a DIY for the front outer CV boots?
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

Yup, agree with Snoops, I was obviously still champing about the engine out to read the post fully, When I had mp Dy's de-catted, the grizzmiester, just performed some magic and the pipes were in, the engine was not dropped not even lowered, and I better not say what it is, in case its a trade secret!#

As for your handy- work Rs6 dood, good job, reckon i could do it too....... the 12 pack that is!

I would love to know how to do the DP's without lowering the engine, everyone seems to want to charge 15 hours of labor to do it. How many hours do you do it in Grizz?

Put it this way, 9am start cam belt, milltek cat back decatt dp's AND a service and i was on my way at 3pm........

Grizz can do a set of coilovers in a couple of hours when the need arises......

Cornishmoocher, can you just PM us poor yanks the secret as we have no access to Unit 20. I have my car on the lift right now for standard oil change and am thinking about the precats as well, and it is just about time for a rotor/brake change. Anyone have any money tree seeds laying around. I should plant soon and fertilize well.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Yeah,

Start shorting your stocks. Options work best.

Were getting ready for a 20% pull back as we speak.

DVN dropped 5 or 6 dollars in the last week. If you were short options with reasonable numbers your up about 5,000 dollars.

My .02c

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Cornishmoocher, can you just PM us poor yanks the secret as we have no access to Unit 20. I have my car on the lift right now for standard oil change and am thinking about the precats as well, and it is just about time for a rotor/brake change. Anyone have any money tree seeds laying around. I should plant soon and fertilize well.