Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY: Easy oil change and filter access

Yea, I'm afraid your right, I think the market is getting close to taking a dump again. Crude is up. I've got some money tied up in International stuff that I think I need to move in the next week or so.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

There seemed to me to be alot of off topic discussion in this thread, and also lost links to pictures in the first post. So I thought I would update this with my experience. Some say you can extract the filter from the side, past the axle opening, but I was not able to. For me, dropping the sway bar (as done at the dealership) was easy, and makes filter access simple. I still used the access by the axle to spin the filter off and on. These instructions are for those unfortunate souls who not have access to a lift!

Here are the steps I used:

Tools needed (minimum): 1/4" Stubby Standard Screwdriver, Strap Type Oil Filter Wrench, 3/8" Ratchet, T55 Torx Bit w/necessary socket adapter, 13mm Socket, Large Oil Catch Basin.

- Break RF wheel lugnuts
    - Jack car at forward jack point with 6" long wood block centered on jack pad (line contact).
    - Place jack stand on aft subframe mount, also wood block protected.
    - Repeat on opposite side, so car is equally supported at front. (Note: if you have two jacks, lift both sides simultaneously!)
    - Move floor jack to in between stands, jack to contact only, for redundancy (best place to store jack for the time being....).
    - Remove RF wheel
    - Remove belly pan (Thirteen quarter turn "DZUS" fasteners, nine on bottom (metal) and two on each side at wheel well liner (plastic)).
    - Drain oil at pan with T55 Torx at drainplug. Drain ten minutes and reinstall plug.
    - Move oil catch to under filter.
    - Put strap clamp on filter at filter base, through narrow opening at sway bar and loosen.
    - Continue to loosen by reaching through the side opening from forward of the drive axle.
    - Let drain five minutes without completely removing filter.
    - Fully remove filter, let it fall to sway bar and fully drain.
    - Loosen four (two each side) 13mm nuts at forward swaybar mounts, and pull down.
    - Remove filter.
    - Install is reverse of above (leave pan for last, to check for leaks after oil fill and engine start).
    - Remove carbon cover on engine to access oil fill. (Push down on two front buttons so they pop up, then lift firmly from the aft sides to lift back of cover off of rubber pegs).
    - Fill with 7.5 liters (7.9 qts) of the 5W-40 synthetic oil of your choice.

Good luck!
    Last edited by NSU RS6; February 28th, 2014 at 00:26.
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"

Thanks for the write up. Next oil change is at home.
    2003 Daytona Gray Audi RS6 - Frozen rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, smoked LED tail lights, 25% tint windows
    It is never too late to be what you might have been