Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A5 Sportback pre-Release

A5 Sportback pre-Release

Dear Friends,

for your interest: (at this time only in german)

Teaser Image:

http://www.audi.de/de/brand/de/unter...sportback.html

Translation shortened:

The coupe-like roofline tapers toward the rear of the car and is lower than the A4 sedan by 36mm. Despite this, Audi claims passengers at the rear will enjoy head- and legroom comparable to that seen on the A4. A5 Sportback seats four occupants only, though.

Its interesting styling and large hatch also ensure a load area of 480 l that swells to 980 l with the rear seats folded down. Nearly equal to the A4 Avant, the manufacturer says.

In Europe, the A5 Sportback will be offered with a range of EU5-compliant petrol and turbodiesel engines. These include the familiar 2.0 TFSI and 3.2-litre V6 units as well as the 2.0 TDI, 2.7 TDI and 176-kW three-litre V6 TDI.

The A5 Sportback will feature a new ESP system with electronic differential lock on the front axles for better steering response.

The new car will also be equipped with Audi's drive select system that allows the driver to choose between different modes influencing the throttle response, shift points on the S tronic and multitronic transmissions and tightens the servotronic steering.

Qisha

A5 Sportback

Press Release:

The new Audi A5 Sportback
    As elegant as a coupe, as practical as an Avant

The brand with the four rings leads the pack with a new vehicle concept: The Audi A5 Sportback combines the best of different automotive worlds. It is as emotional and elegant as a coupe, as comfortable as a sedan, and as practical as an Avant. The Sportback joins the Coupé and Cabriolet as the third member of the A5 model family - and at the same time creates a new segment. With an exciting design, great everyday utility and highly efficient and powerful TFSI, FSI and TDI engines, the A5 Sportback will arrive at Audi dealerships in September. The car will be open for ordering with an entry price of EUR 36,050 for the 2.0 TDI version. A version with an even more attractive price will follow in the middle of 2010. This will make the A5 Sportback the entry model for the A5 model range.

The A5 Sportback represents a milestone in car design. The five-door coupe excels in its elegant, elongated, sporty profile. The large hatchback fits perfectly into the tail-end styling. The spoiler lip and the diffuser insert provide contrast and emphasize the athletic tautness of the elongated contour. The coupe-like silhouette is the result of a roof section with a long, tapering roofline that is moderately lower by 36 mm (1.42 inches) than the A4 Sedan and of the short overhangs at the front and rear as well as the long wheelbase of 2,810 mm (9.22 feet) and the four frameless doors with their slim, dynamic window styling. The unusual hatchback design is distinctively emblematic of the vehicle’s excellent functionality. With the Sportback, the designers of the Avant are setting trends in tail-end design while combining sportiness, comfort and utility in a completely new way.

The unique functional concept in conjunction with the emotion-packed design creates a cutting-edge mix of coupe and Avant. The baggage volume of 480 liters (17.0 cubic feet) nearly equals that of the A4 Avant, and it has an impressive 980 liters (34.6 cubic feet) with the rear seatbacks folded down.

The A5 Sportback provides a full measure of comfort on all four seats and convenient entry and exit through every door. Despite the fact that its exterior height is less than that of the A4 Sedan and that its roof tapers at the rear, the Sportback has comparable headroom and legroom.

The powerplant of the A5 Sportback is another advance along the path of innovative technologies Audi has been charting: All engines are of the direct injection type - the diesel versions are sophisticated common rail TDI units while the gasoline engines are based on the FSI concept. All engines meet the EU5 exhaust emission standard. The diesel versions are equipped with particulate filters.

Initially the A5 Sportback will be available with a choice of two gasoline and three diesel engines. The two gasoline versions, the 2.0 TFSI quattro with an output of 155 kW (211 hp) and 350 Nm (258 lb-ft) of torque and the 3.2-liter V6 quattro generating 195 kW (265 hp) are both equipped with the Audi valvelift system. This feature can produce more power and higher torque as well as lower fuel consumption.

The following engines are also available right from the start: the 2.0 TDI with 125 kW (170 hp), 350 Nm (258 lb-ft), a 6-speed manual gearbox and start/stop system, the 2.7 TDI with 140 kW (190 hp) and 400 Nm (295 lb-ft), and the three-liter V6 TDI with 176 kW (240 hp) plus an enormous 500 Nm (369 lb-ft) of maximum torque and quattro all-wheel drive.

The newly developed ESP control with electronic differential lock on the front axle ensures noticeably improved steering response as on the Coupé and Cabriolet and compensates effectively for change-of-load reactions - which increases driving safety.

The perfect addition to this technology package is the Audi drive select dynamic driving system - this allows the driver to choose between three different modes which influences the throttle response characteristics, the shift points for the seven-speed S tronic or multitronic transmissions, and supports the servotronic steering. If the vehicle is equipped with the MMI operating system, a fourth, freely programmable level is also available.

Audi drive select can only be ordered in conjunction with one or more of three additional technologies - adaptive shock absorber control, dynamic steering with continuously variable assistance and quattro with sport differential for the 3.0 TDI and 3.2 FSI versions.

Threads merged.

I want to see more
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Qisha,

Early examples that were shown to dealers had 5 seats but the versions that dealers saw later on and tested had 4 seats. Are Audi considering bucking the trend of only offering this class of car with a possible 5 seat option?

I know that if they did I would definitely consider one for myself, and I would reckon there is many others put off with the 4 seat only option from most suppliers.
    Search and you will find the truth.

I like what I see and hear! If the price is right, this could be my next car!

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Qisha,

Early examples that were shown to dealers had 5 seats but the versions that dealers saw later on and tested had 4 seats. Are Audi considering bucking the trend of only offering this class of car with a possible 5 seat option?

I know that if they did I would definitely consider one for myself, and I would reckon there is many others put off with the 4 seat only option from most suppliers.
    Dear Leadfoot,

4-seater only.

Qisha

This thing will be a looker for sure, I wan't more pictures now!

maybe this car is the reason why there will not be a B8 RS4...

RS5 Sportback anyone?

Not so impressed yet, i need to see and hear more.

is the A7 going to be another 'sportback" offering also?
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Any info about the S/RS5 sportback?
    The regular S5 was released with the A5, if I remember it correctly.
    Should I forget about the RS5 (regular) and start thinking about the S5/RS5 sportback now?
    What will you people do? - all those who own an S5, will you jump into this coupe/sedan for increased comfort (in the rear seats) and a great look or stick with the beauty full S5?

Of course, we all have the liberty to change our opinion later on, when the real photos and especially the real CAR shows up in person, but for now I think the regular A/S5 looks better (we all saw many sportback "spy"pictures, to have an opinion by now), what do you say?

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    is the A7 going to be another 'sportback" offering also?
    There is no regular A7 yet, and it's supposed to come as a "sportback" from the start, or as a "4 doors coupe" as I like to call it, although the terms don't really go along.

I do not think the A7 will be a standard coupe (2 doors), but a competitor for MB CLS, which looks great but can be definitely improved (the front-end line looks like a beaten dog with the tail under the legs, from different angles, but the car has class no matter how you spin it, inside and outside).

German A5 line price list, Sportsback included:
    http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/ngw/...preisliste.pdf

Is it just me, or someone else thinks that is time for Audi/VAG to bring up 2.0 TTDI (bi-turbo)...

well, the S5 Coupe has the same V8 engine, I only see the 3.0T in the cabrio.

A5 Sportback introduction on 16th July

It's official. In the latest issue of the official Audi magazine: "The progressive mix of Avant and Coupe will be introduced during the fest celebrating Audi's 100 years on 16th July"

Sounds very logical, after all - the pricelist is out already.

Less than 1 month. A friend of mine was in IN last saturday picking up an A4 Avant 3.0. On the way to the autobahn they saw 2 Sportback. One slightly camouflaged, the other without any. His comment: "It looks gorgeous". And i sure believe him
    I am - besides other things - Audidriven
    blog.audidriven.net

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBG View Post
    Is it just me, or someone else thinks that is time for Audi/VAG to bring up 2.0 TTDI (bi-turbo)...
    yes...and take off old 2.7 tdi...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	8301   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	8302   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	8303   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	011.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	8304  
    HKS786