Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A5 Sportback pre-Release

I thought you were comparing A6 3.0 TFSI with the old S4 V8.
    You can be sure to expect an RS5 Sportback coming, at least that is what I heard when at Quattro for servicing my car.
    2007 RS4 V8 - best NA car ever owned
    2006 GOLF R32 - 405 hp HGP TURBO - SOLD

RS5 Sportback is great news, i'm just surprised they are not launching with a full line up including a S5 Sportback with 3.0 TFSI at 333hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyklon5 View Post
    RS5 Sportback is great news, i'm just surprised they are not launching with a full line up including a S5 Sportback with 3.0 TFSI at 333hp.
    In due time.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

Audi always sucks bringing the RS cars to the market ..always years after the base model is out. I hate that, you get the (for example) RS5 next year, get to drive a "new" car for one, maybe 2 years then the A5 gets changed and your RS5 will be last model already. And that's not all, you have to stick to the last model for the next 3-4 years until the next RS5 shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by pampas View Post
    Audi always sucks bringing the RS cars to the market ..always years after the base model is out. I hate that, you get the (for example) RS5 next year, get to drive a "new" car for one, maybe 2 years then the A5 gets changed and your RS5 will be last model already. And that's not all, you have to stick to the last model for the next 3-4 years until the next RS5 shows up.
    They get faster:

A5 B8 intro 2007
    RS5 B8 intro 2010
    7 year model lifecycle = 4 years of current B8 RS5

A6 C6 intro 2005
    RS6 C6 intro 2008
    A6 C7 intro 2011/12 Sedan / Avant
    RS6 being 4 years current

And hopefully we will see the RS5 B9 & RS6 C7 two years after the A5 B9 / A6 C7 launch
    I am - besides other things - Audidriven
    blog.audidriven.net

You still have to go 3 years with the "previous model". I am not 100% but I have the feeling BMW and MB have their performance lineup rolled out much faster than Audi. If I remember it right MB had the AMG C-Class released a couple months away after the "regular" C-Class (not delivered, but announced and ready to be produced..)

I agree, the Audi RS life cycle is disappointing. I am currently in an S6 V10, but originally wanted an RS6, but I did not have the patience to wait. For my next car, which is less than one year away, I want more performance, but at the same time a model that lasts for more than 2 years. The RS6 came too late. If the RS5 does not show up with an interesting package in the not too distant future I will have to look at the competition.

I really like the look of the new Sportback. The styling seems to have a strength and coherence that is missing from the A4 while having the practicality of the Avant. I agree with Leadfoot that a five-seat option would be desirable, so those of us with kids can enjoy a more overtly sporting model rather than being condemned to more mundane models.

The engine range seems a mess. The 2.0-litre TFSI is a no-brainer but hardly powerful enough. The 3.2 V6 as AndyBG says is past its sell-by date. And the diesels all belong in museums.

We need the new 3.0 V6 and a 4.0 V8, please. I have heard that Audi is producing a new/ tweaked version of the S4's 3.0 V6 that offers better economy and power. Anyone know about this? Apparently, it is has a twin-turbo arrangement rather than a supercharger?

Still no news on 4.0 litre TFSI V8.

Quote Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
    I really like the look of the new Sportback. The styling seems to have a strength and coherence that is missing from the A4 while having the practicality of the Avant. I agree with Leadfoot that a five-seat option would be desirable, so those of us with kids can enjoy a more overtly sporting model rather than being condemned to more mundane models.

The engine range seems a mess. The 2.0-litre TFSI is a no-brainer but hardly powerful enough. The 3.2 V6 as AndyBG says is past its sell-by date. And the diesels all belong in museums.

We need the new 3.0 V6 and a 4.0 V8, please. I have heard that Audi is producing a new/ tweaked version of the S4's 3.0 V6 that offers better economy and power. Anyone know about this? Apparently, it is has a twin-turbo arrangement rather than a supercharger?

yes. the audi engine intro is as slow as molasses. V6T was first totally new exciting engine in 3 years from audi. i doubt there is an upcoming change for this engine except a minor one- perhaps 360-370 hp. and audi's V8 offerings except the R8 engine are archaic imo.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

There will be S5 Sportback with 3.0TFSI with 333hp.

There WONT be new 3.0 V6 biturbo. BTW, where is this info coming from? Same source as for your claims about RS5 engine?

A5/S5 Sportback line WONT use 4.0TFSI engine.

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    There will be S5 Sportback with 3.0TFSI with 333hp.

There WONT be new 3.0 V6 biturbo. BTW, where is this info coming from? Same source as for your claims about RS5 engine?

A5/S5 Sportback line WONT use 4.0TFSI engine.
    Calling you an a**h*le is against the rules of this website, so I won't. But that won't stop me from thinking you are one. It's a shame that people like you merely confirm Jeremy Clarkson's assertion that all Audi drivers are cocks.

Most of your posts seem only interested in invalidating comments made by other people, which runs against the spirit of this and many other forums. You seem to forget that the internet is made up of people who know half the picture but not everything. Putting together different bits of information to work out what is going on in otherwise secretive organizations is what makes it interesting. (It is how the world found out what was going on in Iran.)

I don't know whether there will be a new 3.0 Litre bi-turbo, but someone, somewhere has suggested that there will be. Do you really know that there won't be? if so, what is your source?

You're probably only a 17 year old kid, so don't know that it always pays to treat strangers with respect and courtesy. It might make you a more valued contributor to this website.

Calling you an a**h*le is against the rules of this website, so I won't. But that won't stop me from thinking you are one. It's a shame that people like you merely confirm Jeremy Clarkson's assertion that all Audi drivers are cocks.

Most of your posts seem only interested in invalidating comments made by other people, which runs against the spirit of this and many other forums. You seem to forget that the internet is made up of people who know half the picture but not everything. Putting together different bits of information to work out what is going on in otherwise secretive organizations is what makes it interesting. (It is how the world found out what was going on in Iran.)

I don't know whether there will be a new 3.0 Litre bi-turbo, but someone, somewhere has suggested that there will be. Do you really know that there won't be? if so, what is your source?

You're probably only a 17 year old kid, so don't know that it always pays to treat strangers with respect and courtesy. It might make you a more valued contributor to this website.
    ERIK,

THIS POST ABOVE NEEDS YOUR ATTENTION. WORDS LIKE THE ONE USED IN POST ABOVE ARE CLEARLY A SIGN OF TOTAL LACK OF RESPECT OR GOOD MANNERS.

THANKS IN ADVANCE,

Kreso

talipipe,

I posted pretty good amount of usfull inside info here. You do not agree? Your right...
    BTW, it was Qisha and me(together with Ladie) that claimed right from the start that new RS5 will use 4.2 FSI HDZ engine. Remember your claims? How many threads did you open with new info about RS5 engine?

My source from NSU? Someone who knows... BTW, Qisha works at very interesting place as well and his inside info always mirrors that one that I get...

P.S.
    About my age... I am 37 years old lawyer and this can be verified by some members from Croatia that meet me in person. I am probably older then you...

Slow down little bit, please... This forum never had no problems, let it keep that way...

Kreso allways had and precise info', and it has its rep' as a very good source... Tailpipe, you also have your reputation here, and no one questions that...

RS 5 with 4.2 is also what I think from day one, but Audis engines are starting to be very ''boring'', and they need something new quickly... Twin turbo engines most of all...

So there is a consensus Audi is introducing great models R8 / Q5 / A5 Sportback / A7 and trailing heavily on the engine front ...

Didn't anybody let them know their plans for premium segment domination needs good engines too ?

Anyone for an Audi Panamera? That's how I see the new A5 Sportback. (I guess the A7 Sportback will be even closer to the Porsche concept?)

The A5 Sportback seems to offer many of the same virtues as the new Porsche while being smaller, less conspicuous and with much better styling. The only downside is the engines. It just isn't a sports car without 300 bhp IMHO. I just hope an S5 or RS5 Sportback is released.

I agree that the current engine range is pretty uninspiring. That said, the 3.0 litre engine from the S4 be impressive. From what I've read elsewhere on this forum, the 3.0 isn't that much more economical than the previous 4.2 V8? It's just lighter, right?

Whatever happens in the future, Audi needs better V6 and V8 engines that offer performance and fuel economy. Surely they must be developing new engines? I've heard the same rumour as Tailpipe, the UK's Autocar, I think, so it is going to be interesting to see what happens.
    Last edited by Brakedust; July 2nd, 2009 at 11:01.

Audi is not behind at all .. the 4.2L in the RS5 with 450hp is not a bad choice at all, the 420hp engine is great and the update will make it even better. The 3.0V6 is not bad either, nothing spectacular (as I see it) but still a good new engine. If you look around Audi is right there with the competition, little down or up, but never far away. The RS5 will be better than the M3, than in a few year the "new" M3 will be better, and it goes like that forever.
    I don't see Audi as a leader in the engine department, but definitely not a looser either.

What BMW did with their 3.0TT is great performance wise, but from my point of view, is also a big problem with their better 3-series (M3). Why? I see it like this: why buy the M3 anymore, when there is a 335i that matches the M3 around town or on the highway (not on the track, but anywhere else)??? - SO, thinking this way with our Audi, I would hate to see my RS5 (supposedly) having problems with another Audi A5 or S5 that is $20-25K cheaper but has a 3.0TT, with $2K mods on it. I know my vision is a little sided, but I hope Audi knows not to make the same mistake BMW did. People paying more, should get more .. otherwise why pay extra?

So Audi has a good engine the 4.2L RS4/5 and R8 unit ? but what about the engines that make the volume sales ? this unit is what 2% maybe ? We are talking about the rest of the range ... 2.0 TDI ~ 200hp, 3.0 TDI ~ 300hp, 4.2 TDI ~ 370hp, 4.0 TFSI .... for all of those BMW has a counterpart in production and planing stages for the 4.2TDI ... it's quite sad actually ..

The market segmentation between the 335i and the M3 is not the issue here but what they did with the 335i it was a great thing from a business standpoint and enthusiasts. It did not hurt the M sales at all, this can be verified by numbers.
    Last edited by Zyklon5; July 2nd, 2009 at 13:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyklon5 View Post
    So Audi has a good engine the 4.2L RS4/5 and R8 unit ? but what about the engines that make the volume sales ? this unit is what 2% maybe ? We are talking about the rest of the range ... 2.0 TDI ~ 200hp, 3.0 TDI ~ 300hp, 4.2 TDI ~ 370hp, 4.0 TFSI .... for all of those BMW has a counterpart in production and planing stages for the 4.2TDI ... it's quite sad actually ..

The market segmentation between the 335i and the M3 is not the issue here but what they did with the 335i it was a great thing from a business standpoint and enthusiasts. It did not hurt the M sales at all, this can be verified by numbers.
    I don't know how European sales go, but I would think that BMW sells a lot more single turbo diesels versus twin turbo diesels. Anyone know?

In the US the vast majority of BMWs come with the 230 horsepower I6 or the 306 horsepower I6 turbo.

The 2.0T and 3.0T are certainly right there with the BMW engines.

The 3.2 V6 doesn't give up anything to the NA BMW I6 and the 3.0T does the same thing to the twin turbo I6. I think too many people are getting caught up on twin turbo vs. supercharged, but I wouldn't call the BMW engine superior.

The forced induction V8 is coming. Right now there is no Audi on sale today to put it in.