Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A5 Sportback pre-Release

Quote Originally Posted by Damienr8 View Post
    Not so impressed yet, i need to see and hear more.

+1, I need MOAR pics of it...specially the rear you know, so far I fear that I won't like it. Though the idea of a 4 seater only is VERY intriguing.

Saludos.

It's not only that they need the 2.0 TDI bi-turbo. Audi is a little behind with other engines also, the most important that comes to mind is the ancient 3.0 TDI with the same boring 240 hp. If you take BMW for example, they have the 3.0 bi-turbo diesel 286 hp out a few good years now, not to speak that they already have a new 3.0 bi-turbo diesel with 306 hp and 600NM. Where is the 3.0 TDI bi-turbo from Audi???
    2007 RS4 V8 - best NA car ever owned
    2006 GOLF R32 - 405 hp HGP TURBO - SOLD

3.2 is also, out of the game, IMHO...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogdan View Post
    It's not only that they need the 2.0 TDI bi-turbo. Audi is a little behind with other engines also, the most important that comes to mind is the ancient 3.0 TDI with the same boring 240 hp. If you take BMW for example, they have the 3.0 bi-turbo diesel 286 hp out a few good years now, not to speak that they already have a new 3.0 bi-turbo diesel with 306 hp and 600NM. Where is the 3.0 TDI bi-turbo from Audi???
    and bmw is testing tri-turbo for x5,x6, 7 and 6 with 354hp...late 2010-start 2011

yes you're right. Audi is just planning to produce more models with the same engines that will be a litte bit more powerfull....

But BMW is really producing nice engines. They indeed are testing engines with three turbos etc...

Audi just don't have the capacity I think to produce more models AND engines at the same time...

Yes, but Audis style was much different in the past... Some ten years ago when some smart people were anouncing this ''downsize tubo'' times, I was more than sure that Audi will cope best of all...

Until now at least, I am very sorry but BMW is way ahead in the "downsize turbo" departament: X5/6 M with 4.4 turbo, 3.0 bi-turbo diesel and petrol, 123 d with 2.0 bi-turbo diesel, next M3 with 3.0 v6 or L6 turbo or bi-turbo, a new 2.0 bi-turbo petrol with 300 + hp for the next 1 series M and lots more. And all of these engine are state of the art performance engines in their categories, some of them wit lots of international awards. So, Audi has a lot of work to do to level the situation, let alone come ahead. And with this crissis, I can't see them investing in new engines so much. Best example, A5 sportsback launch with the same engines available through the entire range of cars

Until now at least, I am very sorry but BMW is way ahead in the "downsize turbo" departament: X5/6 M with 4.4 turbo, 3.0 bi-turbo diesel and petrol, 123 d with 2.0 bi-turbo diesel, next M3 with 3.0 v6 or L6 turbo or bi-turbo, a new 2.0 bi-turbo petrol with 300 + hp for the next 1 series M and lots more. And all of these engine are state of the art performance engines in their categories, some of them wit lots of international awards. So, Audi has a lot of work to do to level the situation, let alone come ahead. And with this crissis, I can't see them investing in new engines so much. Best example, A5 sportsback launch with the same engines available through the entire range of cars
    Quoted for truth !

Sadly Audi is laging in the engine development race, they were late in the game for the high reving NA engines and late again to the downsizing race and in Audi's case return to turbocharging.

The VAG 2.0 TDI 200 hp should be introduced this fall but otherwise BMW is way better off: 2 liter TT diesel 204hp in production for quite a while; 3 liter TT diesel 306 hp just launched; soon 3 liter TripleTurbo diesel ~350hp.

3.0 L6 TwinTurbo 306hp N54 - x35i
    3.0 L6 Turbo 306hp N55 - 5 Series GT
    4.4 V8 TwinTurbo 404hp N63 - X6 / 750i
    4.4 V8 TwinTurbo 544hp N63 - X5M / X6M
    6.0 V12 TwinTurbo 544hp - 760i

Does anybody know what is Audi prepairing besides the recently launched 3.0TFSI ?

Later Edit: V12 TDI .. magnificent and mad but .. not such a mass market appeal ... since it's only found in the Q7 V12TDI .. and probably the next A8

Besides the great new 2.5 inline turbo from TTRS, I can't remember anything new in the engine departament from Audi..maybe the much anticipated 4.0 TT V8 , but it's not out yet and who knows...

2.5 T is not even roumored in any other Audi but TT RS and maybe RS 3..

How about the 3.0T? Plenty fresh. The 300 hp version in the A6 makes it quicker than the 350 hp V8. From all of the reviews I have seen it matches the BMW 6 cylinder turbo perfectly. Quite possibly Audi's best engine at the moment. One that will see plenty of use, S4/S5/A6/A8/SUV hybrids. In the US Audi has replaced the 3.2 A4 with the 3.0T S4 verison. And as for the regular 3.2, the 270 horsepower Q5 has done very well in American tests. The 3.2 powered Q5 had strongest acceleration/bestfuel economy in the tests. Performing better than competing 3.5 liter V6s.

The 2.0 TFSI has been the four cylinder turbo for a while. First turbo/direct injection combo that everyone followed.

As for twin turbo fours and sixes, not sure if Vw/Audi are completely sold on this approach because of the costs and complexity. Perhaps the costs are too high for what you can charge? A twin turbo diesel pumping out 100 hp per liter is probably not very cheap at all. Long tem reliability (2.7T anyone?) is not guaranteed either.

You wanted to say that the 340 HP 3.0 supercharged engine in the new S4 is quicker than the old V8 , because the de-tuned 296 hp 3.0 TFSI in the A6 is no match for the old S4 engine, but maybe in the fuel economy departament.
    Audi was great at turbo engines, BMW when that route, Merc is also changing from supercharger to turbo engines, and now what.. Audi is going supercharge. For me at least is a step backwards, as good as the 3.0 TFSI might be. I would go for a bi-turbo 3.0 anyday, nevermind reliability and costs. The only supercharged engine in the world I would go for is the ZR1. Yes the 2.0 TFSI is a great engine, so is the 1.4 TFSI, but for me I would like to see more interesting engines begining with the 2.5 TFSI up, both diesel and petrol. In that area at least, they are behind BMW, and thats my Audi fan opinion.

They should build the 1.4TFSI in a bigger displacement, something around 3.0, and even 4.0. Supercharger+turbocharger, but not in the 1.4 range (although that engine is great for it's size in any way you look at it)

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    Common Qisha, drop us some more pics, I know you have them ...
    One with the S5 next to the S5 sportback would be GREAT

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    Thank you good sir. Looks interesting...

You wanted to say that the 340 HP 3.0 supercharged engine in the new S4 is quicker than the old V8 , because the de-tuned 296 hp 3.0 TFSI in the A6 is no match for the old S4 engine, but maybe in the fuel economy departament.
    Audi was great at turbo engines, BMW when that route, Merc is also changing from supercharger to turbo engines, and now what.. Audi is going supercharge. For me at least is a step backwards, as good as the 3.0 TFSI might be. I would go for a bi-turbo 3.0 anyday, nevermind reliability and costs. The only supercharged engine in the world I would go for is the ZR1. Yes the 2.0 TFSI is a great engine, so is the 1.4 TFSI, but for me I would like to see more interesting engines begining with the 2.5 TFSI up, both diesel and petrol. In that area at least, they are behind BMW, and thats my Audi fan opinion.
    No, the 300 (290 in Europe) horsepower 3.0T A6 was recently tested by the US auto press. The acceleration numbers from those tests are better than any numbers I have seen from the 335/350 horsepower V8 A6. The 3.0T definitely delivers performance wise. It has a smaller version of the ZR1 supercharger.

The supercharger/intercooler combo is lighter and more compact than having two turbos and lots of tubing, so that's another benefit that led Audi to use the supercharger. The BMW twin turbo V8 has all sorts of complexity in order to get the two turbos to fit.

Reliability and costs are quite important for a manufacturer.

The fact that is more compact isn't such a win in my book, reliability, costs, weight, consumption and last but not least tuning potential, they all rate higher. The engine bay of the A5 clearly fits a bigger V8 as seen in the S5, and smaller cars have the 2.5 TFSI.

I'd be very pleased to see a comparison of the 2.5 TFSI and the 3.0 TFSI on the same chassis and gearbox setup.

I'm curious about the 4.0 TT how will it compare to the BMW counterpart.

Later edit:

Hey no S5 Sportback .. i mean c'mon haven't they learned anything from the S3 Sportback launch ? Any info about the weight and dimnesions of the A5 Sportback?