Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Test/Fix intercooler leaks w/bumper removal procedure

Good news LIRS6!

cmore, you really need to just look for the oil seepage signs from the intercoolers. shine a light in your bumper ducts and look at the lower corners of each interooler. if you see oil....you got leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by cmore View Post
    @Audi-RS6 what were your symptoms when you have the IC leak? Do you have a boost gauge? I assume the car still felt fast, but just lacked the real punch of what it should be doing. Any idea how much boost you were building with the IC leak?

Thanks,
    Chris

I dont have copilots that will ride with me. You and Pat must have a secret hwy up there. A dead end for terminal velocity runs.

Quote Originally Posted by JRS-RS6 View Post
    As soon as I find a spot where I can take the car from 50 mph at roughly 2400 RPM to 155 MPH at roughly 6400 RPM in fourth gear maybe I can test this. Dave care to log the stock ones for reference? For now I don't have any place I could do this as a test.

Reference for top speed fourth gear: http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...34fbc2ea2d.pdf
    and using this calculator http://www.venommotorsports.com/libr...calculator.asp stock tire sizes.

one does not equal the other.

corky bell reading is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Lupo911 View Post
    The Lag is not Incrasing with these Coolers. On a Standard Car, the Difference is not that big, because the Car runns on very low Boost.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    I dont have copilots that will ride with me. You and Pat must have a secret hwy up there. A dead end for terminal velocity runs.
    Funny, not 20 minutes after you posted this, I was pulled over by a state trooper driving James' car, him in the passenger seat logging.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

But how long will that epoxy glue hold....

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    Funny, not 20 minutes after you posted this, I was pulled over by a state trooper driving James' car, him in the passenger seat logging.
    ^^LOL- I am certain he totally understood you were only doing it for research purposes to make the world a better place..
    210K miles rolled

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    ^^LOL- I am certain he totally understood you were only doing it for research purposes to make the world a better place..
    Apparently so....he told me to tone it down a bit, then sent me on my way after watching me enter the freeway via an on ramp at over 110mph.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Quote Originally Posted by kilian tuning View Post
    Havent checked mine yet, should be good idea, but im sure it should hold long enough
    www.WheelsGallery.com

All about wheels and cars.
    Free image gallery, sell or trade your wheels online.

Quote Originally Posted by kilian tuning View Post
    http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21...ement-pictures

1 year so far for me and still perfectly sealed. Check my thread, I did this to a brand new intercooler due to seeing how poorly manufactured they are.

Quote Originally Posted by skyegtb View Post
    http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21...ement-pictures

1 year so far for me and still perfectly sealed. Check my thread, I did this to a brand new intercooler due to seeing how poorly manufactured they are.
    Do you have stock suspension?
    www.WheelsGallery.com

All about wheels and cars.
    Free image gallery, sell or trade your wheels online.

Quote Originally Posted by Audi-RS6 View Post
    Do you have stock suspension?
    Nope, KW V3. Love it!

I did mine in august if i remember correctly. Still clean, no leaks.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

i just found out my intercoolers are leaking... i did a smoke and traced smoke to the IC's.. also it seams my mass air seals to the airbox are leaking as well - Mike

How did you test the maf seals? just asking because that part of the system is under suction, not pressure, so if you pressurize with smoke, it will leak. Not saying not to change them, just something to keep in mind.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

good thinking ! oops ! although the seals are still damaged and i will change them anyways. - Mike

My plus is with Unit 20 now for a service, timing belt, health check and both intercoolers to be repaired. One had a huge oil leak and the other side not so bad, it still dyno'd at 464.2 BHP even with leaking coolers, and it was due a service at the same time. The car is completley standard bar H&R coilovers and spacers. Will I notice a big performance gain when I get them back? Could the intercooler be the cause of my missing 13 BHP? I am hoping the service and intercoolers will get me the magic 477 BHP it should have from factory.
    Current: V10 RS 6 Saloon, 420mm Ceramics, MRC, Milltek, MTM bits, Audi exclusive bits - 757BHP/967NM
    Past: V8 RS 6 plus, Sprint Blue, 126 of 999

If it was a significant leak.. yes you should get some gain. Otherwise, the turbos were just working harder and spinning faster to get boost to requested level with the leaks.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Plus what your seeing on the Dyno is WHP (Wheel HorsePower) approx 20% less (due to drivetrain losses (transmisison, differentials) than Crank HorsePower. The engine was rated at 480bhp Crank Horse power so if your seeing 464 on the Dyno you are doing much better than a stock plus unless your already taking into account the drivetrain losses? If that is Dyno HP I would bet that your car has had a ECU tune, ask Grizz (Martin).
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA