Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: Test/Fix intercooler leaks w/bumper removal procedure

I'm planning an RS6 nose conversion to my S6 and eventually an RS6 biturbo swap. Right now, I'm doing an 01E 6 speed swap on my tiptronic S6. I'll post up another thread in regards to this later.

As for the FMIC, I was under the impression that the 4.2 Biturbo is super sensitive with water cooling and the lack of flow to the radiator would pose a problem. If this is true, however, I'm not sure what good the aux radiators are behind the IC's on the 'hot weather' or RS6+ packages.

My S6 has a fairly large aux radiatior on the passenger side of the car where the IC would be located.

I'm interested in seeing if my RS6 IC's are leaking now and will test them. Maybe the same place that will test my radiator can do this?

Any added capacity is welcome when it comes to engine cooling help. The flow thru the ICs and then into the aux rads adds to coolant capacity. Plus, the air is just leaving thru the wheel well and out the car.

Make a homemade kit with plumbing supplies and rubber hoses. Have a port to introduce pressure and a simple gauge on the other side. 30 bucks topps

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post

As for the FMIC, I was under the impression that the 4.2 Biturbo is super sensitive with water cooling and the lack of flow to the radiator would pose a problem. If this is true, however, I'm not sure what good the aux radiators are behind the IC's on the 'hot weather' or RS6+ packages.

I'm interested in seeing if my RS6 IC's are leaking now and will test them. Maybe the same place that will test my radiator can do this?

Quote Originally Posted by terrytcl View Post
    i'd like to see what steve is planning with his swap.
    From the standpoint of IC's, I actually bought my RS6 IC's of of a B5 S4 2.7T person. The difference between the 2.7T and RS6 IC's seems like an order of magnitude.

The person I bought them off of didn't like them and went with aftermarket ones. Aside form quality, I couldn't imagine them being ineffective intercoolers, even for a stage 3 2.7T. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Just FYI, I tuned a 2000 A6 2.7T with K04s and RS6 intercoolers. His IAT curve was a little worse than your typical stage 3 car with RS4 intercoolers.

From the standpoint of IC's, I actually bought my RS6 IC's of of a B5 S4 2.7T person. The difference between the 2.7T and RS6 IC's seems like an order of magnitude.

The person I bought them off of didn't like them and went with aftermarket ones. Aside form quality, I couldn't imagine them being ineffective intercoolers, even for a stage 3 2.7T. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Quote Originally Posted by 10SecS4 View Post
    Just FYI, I tuned a 2000 A6 2.7T with K04s and RS6 intercoolers. His IAT curve was a little worse than your typical stage 3 car with RS4 intercoolers.
    Just by looking at this, makes me wonder why this is the case.

Could the shape of the RS6 end tanks be the problem? They seem more offset than planar with the IC.

Could the large differences in the inlet and outlet diameters have a negative affect with flow and pressure? I've got a degree in physics, so I feel like I should know the answer here.

steve,

the dark ones in your picture are 2.7 or rs4 intercoolers?

if the bottom ic is the rs6 intercooler, then it is definitely not something i've seen normally with ICs. most ICs i've seen both aftermarket and OEM dont' have offset end tanks... and the end tanks (if not straight inlet and outlet end tanks) have a profile like the darker IC. Even if you look at the race aftermarket ICs, you'll never see anything with an offset. Plus if you think of the amount and direction of force of the plumbing... it'll slowly rip the end tanks from the core of the intercooler. probably why RS6 ICs are prone to leaks.
    2003 RS6 - forsale

Just by looking at this, makes me wonder why this is the case.

Could the shape of the RS6 end tanks be the problem? They seem more offset than planar with the IC.

Could the large differences in the inlet and outlet diameters have a negative affect with flow and pressure? I've got a degree in physics, so I feel like I should know the answer here.
    I too would've thought that the RS6 intercoolers would offer superior cooling over the RS4 intercoolers, just by looking at them. Maybe it has something to do with the RS6 intercoolers being designed for the lower boost levels seen on the 4.2T?

I'm working with a shop here in the states to have some aftermarket intercoolers built for the RS6. They say they should have their first prototype set done next month. I'm really looking forward to them, especially after reading so many threads lately about how the stock intercoolers leak.

2003 Audi RS6
    11.59 @ 118.63 | Video | Timeslip
    Mods: No pre-cats & my own custom tuned ECU/TCU. That's it!

2000 Audi S4
    10.73 @ 132.76 | Video | Timeslip
    Mods: K04s + bolt-ons + weight reduction (bone stock motor!)

Marc, I may be interested in a set also, maybe we can get others. I would like pretty much bolt in without too many mods and stock appearance externally.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Great write up, though I would already replace the obviously worn out IC's with something that holds pressure.

If you want to replace the stock IC's with something bigger, look at this setup: http://www.wagner-tuning.de/produkte...1010RS6LLK.php

The site seems to be in German only, but you do get the pictures and numbers surely. I haven't fitted the kit to my car, but have heard they are good quality. And the price is competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jani View Post
    Great write up, though I would already replace the obviously worn out IC's with something that holds pressure.

If you want to replace the stock IC's with something bigger, look at this setup: http://www.wagner-tuning.de/produkte...1010RS6LLK.php

The site seems to be in German only, but you do get the pictures and numbers surely. I haven't fitted the kit to my car, but have heard they are good quality. And the price is competitive.
    We just finished the Work on the US / RS6+ Version...
    The Brackets for the additional Water cooler behind the Intercooler are premounted, so it makes it easy to put them in the Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Lupo911 View Post
    We just finished the Work on the US / RS6+ Version...
    The Brackets for the additional Water cooler behind the Intercooler are premounted, so it makes it easy to put them in the Car.

Are you still able to utilize the shrouds that go from the rear of the intercooler to the fender liner?
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    Are you still able to utilize the shrouds that go from the rear of the intercooler to the fender liner?
    Yes, but it needs some minor Cutting. I did some tests with and without the rear Shrouds, i didnt notice any difference. RS4 does not have any Shrouds in the Back either...

new Inlet Gitter, now included in our RS6 Kit with no Charge...

Lupo, how much is this kit with intercoolers, ducts, and grilles? Do you have a website?
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Lupo, how much is this kit with intercoolers, ducts, and grilles? Do you have a website?

The Kit is in Germany 1690Euro

http://wagner-tuning.de/produkte/200001010RS6LLK.php

In the Staates your will get them @ 034Motorsport
    http://www.034motorsport.com/product...p5c2bp4ucrmrm1

The kit looks great - much better price than Sportec. The thicker the intercooler (where they gained all the size really) the more air flow resistance... and at some point the less efficent yes?? Grizz sells these right, have we heard any good feed back. I think just from a quality build over stock it's probably worth it - just wondering about more / less cooling.... details.
    quality doesn't come in a twist off.

Quote Originally Posted by Lupo911 View Post
    new Inlet Gitter, now included in our RS6 Kit with no Charge...
    How much for just the IC inlet grills?
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

That's a really nasty bumper.