Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Video + pics: Audi RS5 spied

I don't know how much faith can be given to this info, it's from a mate who's into BMWs and has an ear with some source relating to their M products. He told me that the next M3 which will be out earlier than first thought (2012~13), supposedly BMW's 3 series sales are dropping worldwide and the next 3 series is being rushed into production a couple of years earlier than originally planned, anyway it will be running a V6TT engine (something well known) but it's rumoured to be aiming for a Co2 level below 225 which is well below what could possibly be expected for an RS5 with a V8.

I am wondering whether the RS5 will be made in V8 form now. :eye:
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    I don't know how much faith can be given to this info, it's from a mate who's into BMWs and has an ear with some source relating to their M products. He told me that the next M3 which will be out earlier than first thought (2012~13), supposedly BMW's 3 series sales are dropping worldwide and the next 3 series is being rushed into production a couple of years earlier than originally planned, anyway it will be running a V6TT engine (something well known) but it's rumoured to be aiming for a Co2 level below 225 which is well below what could possibly be expected for an RS5 with a V8.

I am wondering whether the RS5 will be made in V8 form now. :eye:
    V6TT you mean inline 6 TT like the 135i engine.

A BMW V6 is curse in church.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Pretender View Post
    V6TT you mean inline 6 TT like the 135i engine.

A BMW V6 is curse in church.
    Well I did say you would have to take this info at face value.

Either way, inline or vee, the idea of an RS5 rival with a Co2 of 225 or less does put the RS5 at a major disadvantage from a marketing stand point.

The whole point of the RS5 is stand out as the supreme range topper with the right feelgood factor - therefore a V8 is exactly what is needed (NA or charged) as six pots are for a class below nevermind the output. Downsizing suits volume models but not enthusiast cars - they latter should only be made as efficient and SOTA C02 and power wise as possible given the powerplant. M cars will surely lose their mojo, identity and heritage when they move to chargers and stray away from core competence no matter how good the car is in its class - just witness the poor reception of the X5 M and X6 M by journalists and many traditionalists. A diesel Ferrari estate car is next up?

I would not call the Nissan GT-R six pot or every Porsche Flat Six turbo for that matter for a class below.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pretender View Post
    I would not call the Nissan GT-R six pot or every Porsche Flat Six turbo for that matter for a class below.
    Well, this is clearly debatable - horses for courses I say. I am the first to admit that a small and light 911 GT3 or M3 E46 CSL should have a highly strung six pot engine and there are also other great sixes. But not the RS5 and especially as the FL S5 will already have a charged V6. Why was the Panamera Turbo not launched with a V6 TT like the GT2, which develops even more output? Perhaps because the RS5 is really in spirit and target closer to the Panamera than a 911? I would say so.

QuattroFun,

I don't know where you live but I would say that your opinion which I'm not saying is right or wrong is one usually presented by our American friends who usually prefer size over quality.

I think that most here aren't really worried what size of engine is under the hood as long as the desired results are met. As Porsche and Nissan have proved is that power it the most important thing above all else.

The Panamera will also get a 3.6 VR6 with ± 300 hp.

On paper efficiency vs. overall feelgood - ah, the golden old age debate and very subjective of course with no rights or wrongs. Why does anybody - also outside America - buy e.g. a LP-560 when the GTR is objectively as good, much cheaper and more practical? I remember when I bought my S4 V8 in 2003 that the public debate was then about why anbody in their right mind would possibly buy an S4 when Evos and Imprezas were also 4WD, faster, more able on track, much cheaper, more tuneable, as practical and used less fuel...

Quote Originally Posted by QuattroFun View Post
    On paper efficiency vs. overall feelgood - ah, the golden old age debate and very subjective of course with no rights or wrongs. Why does anybody - also outside America - buy e.g. a LP-560 when the GTR is objectively as good, much cheaper and more practical? I remember when I bought my S4 V8 in 2003 that the public debate was then about why anbody in their right mind would possibly buy an S4 when Evos and Imprezas were also 4WD, faster, more able on track, much cheaper, more tuneable, as practical and used less fuel...
    Not sure your Lp560 vs GTR is the right example, one IS a Lambo and costs nearly 3 times as much. A better debate is the B8 S4 vs B7 S4 and ask the question to those that have owned both if they felt short changed, personally I don't too many would feel that way. Point being that if the quality, performance and image is intact then the size of the engine has no bearing on anything.

It's all down to personal preferances: what would you prefer - RS5 with high rev V8 450 hp or RS5 with lets say 2.5 inline 5 turbo with 450 hp also? I would go for the first choice, although the TTRS is a great engine which I would love to own, but is an engine for that class, not for a GT. And I'm not from US.

Better example, with all this downsizing, in a few years you will be very happy with an R8 with a 1.2 TTTTFSI engine with 500 hp, just because it gets to 100 is 3. something. I think I made my point
    2007 RS4 V8 - best NA car ever owned
    2006 GOLF R32 - 405 hp HGP TURBO - SOLD

Can't wait for that car

Quote Originally Posted by LittleDevil View Post
    Can't wait for that car
    Second that.

It will be a heavy boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruergard View Post
    Second that.
    Third that!

Quote Originally Posted by Lmg View Post
    Third that!

Fourth That.

Thing looks SATANIC in all black...