Thread: BMW = Big Money Wasted

BMW = Big Money Wasted

I am not the only victim of this manufacturer.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001021,00.html

I don't completely follow his story, I think the floor mat thing is his fault, and he has to just eat that, but as far as the other stuff, if its not related to the initial crash door to the floor mats then I can see why he is pissed. By the way M3 owner what happen with you? had a bad experience with bmw?

Hi Jpx
    This story was on the news last night.The guy buys a brand new 335 DCT conv & from day 1 he is plagued with electrical & mechanical problems.The roof won’t open & every time it rains water comes into the car via the rear section of the roof.On the rare occasion that the roof does open,it won’t close.His brand new car has broken down on several occasions & left him stranded.2 make matters worse,the dealership won’t repair the car.
    Even thought the floor mats r purchased from the dealership,I do agree that the accident has nothing 2 do w/ the dealership & this is just a money grab.

I was given a manual 335 as a loaner 4 my Lemmon M3 & it never broke down,it was faultless.However,the M DCT gearbox in the M3 & the DCT gearbox in the 3 series is a world renowned disaster.

As 4 my experience...Where shall I begin?

When I picked up my M3 she was covered in orange peel. Dealer repaired this.

I had 2 leave the stereo on at all times 2 muffle the squeaks & rattles emanating from the interior,specifically the dash.Dealer could not repair this regardless of how many times I took it back.

Now we come 2 M DCT. Provided the car would actually start in the mornings,I had to deal w/ the following:

In Auto mode it would refuse 2 change gears.It would jump from auto mode 2 manual mode & back 2 auto mode (on its own) than the engine would shut down.(In the middle of traffic) The gear box was always confused as 2 which gear it should select, especially in lower rpm’s

In manual mode,pull the paddle back once 2 go up a gear & the car refuses 2 go up a gear.Not the sort of thing u want 2 happen when u r merging in2 traffic.Then there r times when u pull the paddle back 2 drop 1 gear & the car drops several gears then the engine shuts down & won’t start again.

The clunking noises emanating from the M DCT box itself were frightening.The 1st time I heard it I thought something broke.

Go through the never ending process 2 activate LC, take my foot of the break & the car won’t go anywhere.It just sits there revving or the engine will just shut down.
    In the Cayman S all u r required 2 do is slam ur foot on the break, press 1 button,floor the accelerator,take ur foot of the break & she’ll do a 7,000rpm launch that will reach 100km in 4.5 sec. Yeah that’s right,I said 4.5sec.There r the occasional clunking noises from the PDK gearbox when taking off from a standstill but PDK is nowhere near as bad as M DCT.

I took my M3 back 2 the dealership on several occasions & every time the mechanic told me he couldn’t find a problem.I would go 2 the dealership,drive the car with the imbecile seated next to me & much to his suprise,I could re enact the problem w/ very little effort or time.

My mate is the sales manager of the BMW dealership,his father is the owner & they both told me (of the record) that a problem exists w/ MDCT & BMW r trying 2 find a solution.Software upgrades were released 2 rectify the problems associated w/ M DCT but they didn’t help.At the end,the dealership bought the car back of me & I will never by a BMW again.

wow, people keep telling me that "bmw is more reliable then audi" and that audi is riddled with electrical problems. I think bmws are overrated in my opinion, I think they are great cars, and i think the 335i is one of the best cars you can get right now, (i'd get the s4 over it though) but people seem to think the car is made from the heavens or something. so did you decide to purchase a audi, or something else?

BMW's WERE great cars,everything went downhill after the E46 & E39 models were replaced.There is currently allot of bickering & infighting in BMW,allot of ppl r not happy with the direction the cars r going.Maybe the removal of Bangle is a sign that sanity has prevailed? Either way I don’t care,I am done w/ BMW & it’s V8 3 series.
    Didn’t buy an Audi,bought something else.

I can understand the M-DKG problems you were having, the web is littered with different owners suffering anything from hesitation, to stalling, to the clunking, in fact you name and chances are the M-DGK has suffered it at one point or another, if not all of them together at once.

But who is to blame for all these problems, is it BMW or the gearbox supplier?

It's strange that BMW seem to be suffering all the problems with their dual clutch gearbox compared to all the other manufacturers that have maybe only one of those problems and are usually sorted a.s.a.p.. Even Ferrari use the same supplier and so far no reports have been posted on the web to say it's suffering any problems at all. It's all very strange.

As for your others problems, I previously owned an E36 and E39 both of which were model example of the breed, never really causing any problems what so ever. In fact I only changed at that point to Audi because I had got tired of their design and wanted something different. If your experience is a true reflection of BMW today then they are heading in the same direction that Mercedes did a few years back.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Just to add one thing-ALL current DCT boxes are start clunking prone... Friend bought new S4 with S Tronic-same problem. In fact his S Tronic failed once in first 2500km. I am not defending BMW here. PDK Porsches are also not without gearbox problems...

BIG fact is that despite all development DCTs are not ready for prime time yet.

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    Just to add one thing-ALL current DCT boxes are start clunking prone... Friend bought new S4 with S Tronic-same problem. In fact his S Tronic failed once in first 2500km. I am not defending BMW here. PDK Porsches are also not without gearbox problems...
    I have only driven the new S/Tronic in the S4 very briefly but I didn't notice the clunk from it, maybe more time in the car and probably first thing in the morning when cold would show this up better.

But you can't deny that the Internet is full of unhappy M3 owners with their new M-DKG gearboxes. There maybe the odd S/Tronic or PDK owners out there but in comparison they are few and far between.

Completely agree with that opinion, they are very good when going up the box, probably as good if not better than a proper automatic but going down the box and in slow moving traffic where it has to shift up and down through first and second gear they aren't near as smooth as modern automatic which seem to be getting better and better.

I wonder how good the new 8speed ZF auto will be?

Audi has outranked BMW and Mercedes-Benz in JD Power studies for several years now, especially in initial quality. Just stating a point.
    "Four Rings to Rule Them All - Audi"

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    But who is to blame for all these problems, is it BMW or the gearbox supplier?
    The problems r due 2 a software conflict,there is nothing mechanically wrong w/ the gearbox.It is interesting 2 note that manual M3’s r also experiencing problems w/ stalling.This proves that it is a software issue from BMW’s end.

Strange that BMW seem to be suffering all the problems with their dual clutch gearbox compared to all the other manufacturers that have maybe only one of those problems and are usually sorted a.s.a.p.. Even Ferrari use the same supplier and so far no reports have been posted on the web to say it's suffering any problems at all. It's all very strange.
    Very strange indeed.Even the owners of the new DCT Z4 r yet 2 voice a complaint.It’s still early 2 give the DCT gearbox the all clear in the Z4 but it SEEMS as though everything is OK. Very strange mate.

Every manufacturer that releases new technology is going 2 have issues.The 335 engines initially suffered from overheating & turbo lag.These problems were quickly addressed,the fact that the M DCT & DCT problem has been lingering on 4 so long is embarrassing.

Excellent point.
    Guys,here is a clip from top gear Oz featuring the Maserati GTS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4wGctlj7aY

Around the 3.40 minute mark the driver shows u how erratically the Maserati changes gears in auto mode.My M3 would do the same thing except it wouldn’t eventually shift gear;it would just stay in that particular gear or the engine would shut down all 2gether.

Quote Originally Posted by M3 owner View Post
    The problems r due 2 a software conflict,there is nothing mechanically wrong w/ the gearbox.It is interesting 2 note that manual M3’s r also experiencing problems w/ stalling.This proves that it is a software issue from BMW’s end.
    Funny your should mention that, my S4 use to stall very easily when taking on from the line and the same was true for the E36 3 series I owned.

Very strange indeed.Even the owners of the new DCT Z4 r yet 2 voice a complaint.It’s still early 2 give the DCT gearbox the all clear in the Z4 but it SEEMS as though everything is OK. Very strange mate.
    I did read the CAR reviewer voice the opinion that the DKG in the Z4 to be the best dual clutch system of all the ones they had tested, a far cry from the M-DKG in the M3 which was one of the worse. I think they put that down to the over-complication of the gearbox setting in the M3 but maybe your comments sound to be more logical.

Every manufacturer that releases new technology is going 2 have issues.The 335 engines initially suffered from overheating & turbo lag.These problems were quickly addressed,the fact that the M DCT & DCT problem has been lingering on 4 so long is embarrassing.
    I would normally agree with that on most occasions but this time round BMW have had more than their fair share of problems with the gearbox. That is why I suggested the possibility that the supplier should take some of that blame. On the subject of M3 manuals, the one I tested was also manual and I found the actual shift to be very poor, in fact sub-standard to the rest of the controls and definitely not as good as either my S5 or the RS4. That surprised me as normally awd cars requires you to shift slower to be smoother but the M3 felt ackward in comparison.

From memory my E36 and E39 both felt much, much better than this.

over-complication of the gearbox setting in the M3
    BMW r guilty of techno overkill.The endless options presented by M DCT are mind boggling.I don’t c the point of so many gearbox settings especially when the Cayman S PDK has 1 setting 4 the road,1 for track & that works well. It may explain why their “simple” set up does not have the issues that BMW r having.

BMW needs a complete overhaul, they need to look back 2 their past to revive their future.

BMW have had more than their fair share of problems with the gearbox.
    And a solution does not appear 2 b on BMW's priority list. Oh well, it’s their loss. Ppl that were once reluctant 2 try other brands like Audi will b more willing 2 make a change now.I suspect that once these ppl try Audi they won’t b going back 2 BMW.All of my mates that sold their E46 M3’s for an B7 RS4 did not go back 2 BMW once the E92 M3 was released.

Uhm, so far my experiences of the M DCT are far more positive - hopefully it stays that way as well.

Banned
    If people think DCT is bad... they need to try first gen Ferrari/Maserati F1 'boxes, they were awful.

Quote Originally Posted by QuattroFun View Post
    Uhm, so far my experiences of the M DCT are far more positive - hopefully it stays that way as well.
    Ur car does not have any lag at all? What year is your model?

Ur car does not have any lag at all? What year is your model?
    Manufactured summer 2008, but I think (or rather hope) the software has been updated after that. Yes, in auto mode (I usually use Nos 2-3) there is some lag/soft pedal response at low and especially slowing speeds initially with the cruising gears still engaged, but nothing worse than in the best torque converter such as the RS6 Avant in drove some while ago and the kick down is brisk and on the motor way there is no lag. In manual mode, I mostly drive Nos 4-5 and I have not come across any lag.

Overall, I suppose the feel of the DCT is very subjective or then I have not simply paid enough critical attention, but I would certainly say that it is overall much better than the old SMG, also better than any torque converter I have ever driven and in fact at least as good/somewhat better as the new S4 S-tronic. As good as 911 PDK or Cali DCT? No idea, have not driven those two cars. Better than my manual RS4? Well, not better but different and in manual mode I think the throttle response is as least as good.

Good to hear that not everyone is complaining about the gearbox. Though I doubt it's as good as the S/Tronic from the S4, yes it will hold the gear in manual mode which the S4 will not but apart from that the S/Tronic is far not polished.

And according to a guy who does know about these things the S/Tronic coming in the RS5 will be the dog's bollocks.