Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drivers Republic TT-RS review - very positive

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    the OE Sport Exhaust System is at the edge of being street legal-, the top end of what is possible having a manufacturer status.
    That sounds perfect for the track, but given that I use my car for long distance travel more often I wonder if it has the potential to annoy you during long trips on the autobahn?

And how much more sound/volume do I get? Are there numbers like how many db it adds? Currently I have no idea how the standard exhaust would sound in real life, but as the sound clips on the Audi homepage are said to be from the default exhaust, I reckon that system isn't bad either?

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaS6 View Post
    That sounds perfect for the track, but given that I use my car for long distance travel more often I wonder if it has the potential to annoy you during long trips on the autobahn?

And how much more sound/volume do I get? Are there numbers like how many db it adds? Currently I have no idea how the standard exhaust would sound in real life, but as the sound clips on the Audi homepage are said to be from the default exhaust, I reckon that system isn't bad either?
    I think there is a "S" button for the extra sound. If you press it you hear more sound.... So if you do a long journey you just don't press the S button

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaS6 View Post

Dear SigmaS6,

as you already noticed, the Exhaust System used on the TTRS equipped with a flue gas damper. Therefore the OE Sport Exhaust System also fulfills the EU 98/69/EG regulations. Taking it from a noise level side, this would give a need for 74 dB(A) max. at idle and up to 100 km/h. 3 db(A) will give you twice as much noise (77 dB(A) was the limit until 1996). What can you expect out of the OE Sport Exhaust:

-layout emphasizes the inline five sound characteristic to the max. of beeing compliant

-this without beeing intrusive or bothersome

-deeper and more muscular appearance

I would recommend this option. Sounds-, feels and "tastes" perfect!

Qisha

The UK's Car Magazine has just reviewed the TT-RS. its report is also extremely favourable, suggesting that ungoverned it would have a top speed of some 178 mph, which is dangerously close to that of the R8 at 187 mph. The review pays particular attention to the engine. it is apparently a VW unit sourced from the USA but recast in more exotic metal with direct injection and turbocharging kit. Car says that the TT-RS is a great engine on a competent chassis comparing it to the Cayman S, which is a great engine on a great chassis. Ultimately, Car thinks that the Cayman S has an edge on the TT-RS. We shouldn't be too disappointed by this judgement, because they think the Cayman is probably one of the finest handling sports available.

Dear Qisha,

I have a question about TT RS engine since i first heard about that it is a 5 cylinder again...Does it have the same or similar tuning capability like the old 5 cylinder? Unofficialy it was able to do up to 1000 hp, is it a hope for these numbers in case of the new engine as well?

Thanks,

Tom
    5 Audis so far...currently:
    2007 Audi A4 B7 2.0 TDI Multitronic

I highly doubt that it will be that much tuneable. I guess some close-to 400bhp will be possible easily since its a turbo. The "old" 5 cylinder was very close to the ones used in rallys etc....thats long time ago. Given the need to be more "eco" i doubt that you will get that much out of this v5...but bigger turbos help....
    Good....bad.....hey i am the guy with the RS6!

Quote Originally Posted by jonas21 View Post
    I highly doubt that it will be that much tuneable. I guess some close-to 400bhp will be possible easily since its a turbo. The "old" 5 cylinder was very close to the ones used in rallys etc....thats long time ago. Given the need to be more "eco" i doubt that you will get that much out of this v5...but bigger turbos help....
    It's not a V5 it's a inline 5 and this engine have run with 600+ hp on the testbench.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

EVO drive impression is not good at all. They gave it only 3 stars...
    BUT, I would wait for tests in German and Italian magazines. Of course, the best solution is to try to test drive it for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    EVO drive impression is not good at all. They gave it only 3 stars...
    BUT, I would wait for tests in German and Italian magazines. Of course, the best solution is to try to test drive it for yourself.
    I think it all depends on how much you value the ability to get the tail out. If the answer is a lot then the TT/RS will probably not appeal to you, as is the case with EVO.

Though they did say that Audi wouldn't allow the ESP system to be totally switched off at the track so maybe there is much more fun to be had once you have because that is the majority opinion of the S4, it take the disengage of the ESP to fully unlock the car's true magic.

Maybe that is why Plato rated the car so highly, he only drove it on the road (and in wet conditions) where it's probably best suited and probably a much better tool than the Cayman S in such situations.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    I think it all depends on how much you value the ability to get the tail out.
    Putting the tail out may be fun but it's not the fastes way to drive, because putting the tail out mean wheelspin.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Pretender View Post
    Putting the tail out may be fun but it's not the fastes way to drive, because putting the tail out mean wheelspin.
    Couldn't agree more, neatness is what makes for a quick lap time (on tarmac at least). In my opinion the whole objective of quattro it to find the most efficient way of going round a corner and in that all quattro systems fulfil that basic requirement equally well.

What some reviewers have been saying is that if you get on the power to early you get some understeer, but in a rwd car with decent poke you will get oversteer, it maybe the more fun but it's hardly the quicker method. And I bet the guy in the M3 who's watching the TT/RS drifted off into the distance will be saying to his passenger that at least he's the one having the most fun whilst losing.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Frankly, I think it's more important to have a car with accessible "fun" during day-to-day driving than it is to have a car that's a tenth quicker on a track. I love the TT-RS, but I would probably still go with a Cayman S and add a TPC turbo down the line